Another Kl Les Paul

Awesome, I can finally see your work the way it really looks.

It turned out very well, you should be proud of that and hopefully learn something from this whole thread.

Congratulations for taking something you were ready to toss and turning it into a beautiful instrument.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all this time ive been using this same board for necks, this was the third neck ive made out of that board (a 16 footer) that i got for 45 bucks. and all this time i diddnt even realize its quartersawn. i diddnt know until i read a post that rich stated that the ribbon effect only shows up in quartered wood, so i look, and it is. i know, how could i never have checked, but i just use the wood. either way i would have used it. and the body is almost quartersawn too. just a hair off. kind of a pointless post, but i thought i would throw it out there.

all this time ive been using this same board for necks, this was the third neck ive made out of that board (a 16 footer) that i got for 45 bucks. and all this time i diddnt even realize its quartersawn. i diddnt know until i read a post that rich stated that the ribbon effect only shows up in quartered wood, so i look, and it is. i know, how could i never have checked, but i just use the wood. either way i would have used it. and the body is almost quartersawn too. just a hair off. kind of a pointless post, but i thought i would throw it out there.

Uh, dude, seriously, you need to spend more time looking and handling your materials. Within minutes you should figure out whether any board you're thinking of buying is quartered or not, has any major flaws, cupping, twisting, or runout (although runout's not always easy to see in a true sense, at least straight grain on all facets).

Uh, dude, seriously, you need to spend more time looking and handling your materials. Within minutes you should figure out whether any board you're thinking of buying is quartered or not, has any major flaws, cupping, twisting, or runout (although runout's not always easy to see in a true sense, at least straight grain on all facets).

ok, calm down there. i never said i diddnt check the wood everything. the only thing i meant was that even it it wasnt quartered that i would have used it anyway, which is why i never checked. this always happens. i say one thing and everyone jumps to conclusions thinking i dont check to see if its warped or cupped or twisted. i never said any of that. i know how to look for wood. im not just like, ok that one up there on the top looks good, throw it in the truck and build a guitar. i dont know why it sparks stuff like this so easily. i have been chosing wood since i knew how to operate power tools. my dad was a carpenter and is qualified to construct buildings. he has taught me all he knows. and we dont just get whatever wood to build things just because its there.

...i say one thing and everyone jumps to conclusions... ...i dont know why it sparks stuff like this so easily.

You're right. Reading through some of your posts, folks DO tend to jump to a conclusion with you. It happens quite a bit. Maybe you're not fully explaining your thoughts.

i never said i diddnt check the wood everything, the only thing i meant was that even it it wasnt quartered that i would have used it anyway, which is why i never checked.

i dont think mattia was being harsh - what you have stated above is not ideal.. you have stated that its not important to you if wood is quartersawn of flatsawn... so what elements of the wood are important to you?

There are many things you should know about the wood you are using before you start, as mentioned by mattia

• quartered or not
  • any runout
  • any warping or cupping in any direction

Just checking that its flat and square will not ensure its good enough for a guitar neck so if you didnt know it was quartersawn you cant have checked the wood and everything like you say.

It sounds like you have been lucky with your choice of neck wood but mattias warning about properly selecting the most appropriate piece of wood is great advice. You may not find it usefull because you know what you are doing, you may even be doing it automatically... but others who are starting out may find it usefull

for the record - i like my neck wood to be either quarter or flat sawn.. i try to avoid anything inbetween but a pair of rift sawn laminates can be used opposite each other in a multi-piece neck and i have done that before. its one of the first things i look at in neck wood.. i have no other carpentry or wood working experience other than guitars and the odd rooms worth of skirting board... but i do know that you have to be a lot pickier choosing wood for a guitar neck than you would when choosing the wood for a bookcase

This isnt an attempt to be harsh against you or bully you in some way and i hope you dont take it in a hostile way. Its about making sure people who read your thread realise why grain orientation is so important

...i say one thing and everyone jumps to conclusions... ...i dont know why it sparks stuff like this so easily.

You're right. Reading through some of your posts, folks DO tend to jump to a conclusion with you. It happens quite a bit. Maybe you're not fully explaining your thoughts.

I think it's more like he explains what he's thinking, then people tell him either what he's doing wrong or how to fix the problem, then he bites back with how he's an expert in woodworking, electronics, and whatever else he feels like and doesn't need our help.

More time :D , less time posting...hope you have better luck with the new pickups.

I think mattia was right.

If you worked with the wood,after cutting, sanding, planing, shaping, and finishing, one time or another you will notice if its quartersawn or not.

I always check this even before buying the wood. almost all of my mahogany boards are quartersawn. im gonna post some pics soon. and I gotta a lot of wood. lol

Edited by Hector

I think mattia was right.

If you worked with the wood,after cutting, sanding, planing, shaping, and finishing, one time or another you will notice if its quartersawn or not.

I always check this even before buying the wood. almost all of my mahogany boards are quartersawn. im gonna post some pics soon. and I gotta a lot of wood. lol

uh, not really. so basicly your saying i wouldnt know if it was or not. if i know the wood is good enough to make a guitar out of, then there is no reason to check.

I think it's more like he explains what he's thinking, then people tell him either what he's doing wrong or how to fix the problem, then he bites back with how he's an expert in woodworking, electronics, and whatever else he feels like and doesn't need our help.

More time :D , less time posting...hope you have better luck with the new pickups.

you really dont like me do you? and you tell me the same thing every time "More time :D , less time posting"

what am i supposed to read about that i havnt already? and how would you know if i did or not? you have no idea. i have never denied help, or advice. its just when people dont read a whole post and keep telling me the same thing even after i said i alread y tried that and then they say i dont know what im doing or else it would work. so, whatever. i know you guys wont care what i say and already have your bad impression of me, so i dont have a reason to explain.

ok then.

if grain orientation is not important for you, then I shouldn`t bother trying to tell you why it is so important to me, and every luthier in this forum.

when did i try to do that? and the whole reason i brought up the grain orientation was because of the other guys who do think its important and will only use quartersawn. even though i would use either, quartered is a plus.

If i know the wood is good enough to make a guitar out of, then there is no reason to check.

Would you care to explain what criteria you use to judge that the wood is 'good enough to make a guitar out of' given that you don't appraise it in a way which allows you to determine the grain orientation?

you really dont like me do you? and you tell me the same thing every time "More time :D , less time posting"

I never said I didn't like you or your work and if I'm telling you something more than once, it's for good reason. You have talent and I think you could be a really good luthier if you'd simply take the time to plan what you're doing and listen to what others are telling you. Nobody is jumping to conclusions about your actions because your work product speaks for itself.

Your problem is that you are skipping over basic steps and fundamentals in a rush to complete less than perfect builds. Not "caring" what kind of wood you're building the guitar with is simply foolish. Not "caring" to plan and measure every cut and joint is simply wasteful of materials and time. People here build and modify guitars on their own because they can't get that customization they desire from the factory. When you're building instruments that wouldn't get past QC at Fender Indonesia simply because you're making stupid mistakes and ignoring valuable advice and free resources, what's the point of hacking up a perfectly good piece of wood?

I never said I didn't like you or your work and if I'm telling you something more than once, it's for good reason. You have talent and I think you could be a really good luthier if you'd simply take the time to plan what you're doing and listen to what others are telling you. Nobody is jumping to conclusions about your actions because your work product speaks for itself.

Your problem is that you are skipping over basic steps and fundamentals in a rush to complete less than perfect builds. Not "caring" what kind of wood you're building the guitar with is simply foolish. Not "caring" to plan and measure every cut and joint is simply wasteful of materials and time. People here build and modify guitars on their own because they can't get that customization they desire from the factory. When you're building instruments that wouldn't get past QC at Fender Indonesia simply because you're making stupid mistakes and ignoring valuable advice and free resources, what's the point of hacking up a perfectly good piece of wood?

man, just cant belive what your telling me. now your saying that im just wasting good wood and making trash guitars? how would you know? and you dont know if i plan or not. you have no idea what planning i do or what goes on in my shop. i just cant believe your telling me im wasting wood and materials. whatever.

I think you may be reading some of those replies in a tone in which they weren't intended.

It's easy to misinterpret without the benefit of being in the same room with the person with whom you're conversing.

Some people have offered opinions and advice, and have said what they thought they should say; let's just move on from here.

man, just cant belive what your telling me. now your saying that im just wasting good wood and making trash guitars? how would you know? and you dont know if i plan or not. you have no idea what planning i do or what goes on in my shop. i just cant believe your telling me im wasting wood and materials. whatever.

Like I said, nobody here is jumping to conclusions because your work speaks for itself. It is painfully obvious from the content of your posts that your builds simply lack thorough planning. You have good goals, direction, and ambition, but you need to form a final plan before you ever touch the saw.

I'm finished posting here. Like I said before, good luck finishing this one up. I sincerely hope the new electronics work this time.