Another Kl Les Paul

here we go again. an all mahogany les paul with belly cut and kl headstock.

i might just sell this one as a body and neck. people seem to like this style. well on ebay anyway. \

waiting on a truss rod from doeringer. heres the body

DCAM0054.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...ul/DCAM0053.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...ul/DCAM0052.jpg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been thinking. since i sprayed the body before routing, what can i use to draw the lines to line up the bridge and pickups with the neck? i should have thought about that before. pencil will score the finish. what should i do?

Masking tape and marker?

i have been thinking. since i sprayed the body before routing, what can i use to draw the lines to line up the bridge and pickups with the neck? i should have thought about that before. pencil will score the finish. what should i do?

Masking tape and marker?

good idea. i am not thinking sharply at all latley. masking tape would be a great idea. thanks!

What's your eBay user name?

hmmm. why? did i sell you something, or did you sell me something?

Nope. I want to put you on my "Favorite Sellers" list. I have aspirations of selling bodies on eBay to fund my builds. I have a rough idea what they might go for from watching a HUGE number of auctions. Knowing that you do good work, I'm interested in seeing what your stuff goes for in comparison to others. For privacy's sake, (If you don't mind, of course) will you PM your ID to me?

Why finish the body before routing out the cavities and neck pocket? Seems reversed to me. You're setting yourself up for a lot of rustration down the road.

Is the top fully carved? I ask because its not really like an LP. I guess you're gonna have no neck angle on the guitar?

yes yes we all know my carves are never the same as any real guitar. i get that every other comment. but what does a neck angle have to do with the carved top? and a few others finish before routing. like drak, with the magma attack guitar.

Why finish the body before routing out the cavities and neck pocket? Seems reversed to me. You're setting yourself up for a lot of rustration down the road.

Is the top fully carved? I ask because its not really like an LP. I guess you're gonna have no neck angle on the guitar?

yes yes we all know my carves are never the same as any real guitar. i get that every other comment. but what does a neck angle have to do with the carved top? and a few others finish before routing. like drak, with the magma attack guitar.

The carve and neck angle? I ask because the carve is flat or looks that way.

On a Les Paul, the carve actually has a bit of an angle in it... my LP Custom does. The carve angle towards the neck usually matches the neck angle while the rest, towards the bridge tends to go back to a zero angle. Not to say that you can't install your neck with an angle on that body. Depending on whether you go with a set neck with full witdh tenon or not, the design will change somewhat. There's also the bolt on choice.

You guitar looks like a cross between a full blown LP and an LP Junior. I'm curious to see how this will come out. Keep us posted.

Andfor the finish, I never realized that Drak finishes his guitars before routing anything at all on his guitars. Does Drak do bolt ons or set necks?

AFAIK Drak has only made bolt on guitars to date, using Warmoth necks. He's stated in the past that he has no interest in making necks, since the Warmoth necks suit him perfectly.

As for routing after finish, sure,it works. It's is however, far easier on a flat topped instrument than on a carved top, and would not be my preferred method if I had any choice.

The carve and neck angle? I ask because the carve is flat or looks that way.

On a Les Paul, the carve actually has a bit of an angle in it... my LP Custom does. The carve angle towards the neck usually matches the neck angle while the rest, towards the bridge tends to go back to a zero angle. Not to say that you can't install your neck with an angle on that body. Depending on whether you go with a set neck with full witdh tenon or not, the design will change somewhat. There's also the bolt on choice.

You guitar looks like a cross between a full blown LP and an LP Junior. I'm curious to see how this will come out. Keep us posted.

Andfor the finish, I never realized that Drak finishes his guitars before routing anything at all on his guitars. Does Drak do bolt ons or set necks?

how does the carve look flat? i have done it this way on all 4 of my carvetops and havnt had a problem yet. it will be a set neck.

just got the parts. dont know if im going to put this one together and sell it like that, or just as a body and neck.

emg 81/85

dunlop 6000 frets (largest they make)

24.75" scale, 22 frets on a zebrawood fretboard

mahogany body and neck

black hardware

black keystone tuners, black tom bridge and stop tailpiece

solid black chrome knobs

black chrome 3 way toggle

well see if i want to use all this great hardware and parts on this. i will decide when i finish. dont know when that will be, i have to finish the neck first, and my supplier for my truss rods has sent me the wrong size 2 times for a replacement. so i am just waiting to sort that out.

i dont know, just seems like it is kind of pointless. i have looked at all of my other build threads, around 100 replies, around 80 of them were my own.

Hear hear :D I'm learning to get used to it.

In other news, if you make up some really good templates to speed the process along, I think you could definitely bring some money in over Ebay for people who want a Warmoth alternative. It looks good!