someone had a guitar... not sure if it's that alan holdworth one..... had stars painted on it and it didn't have a bottom horn, the frets went all the way to the bridge pickup, and the neck pickup what mounted under the fingerboard. After the 24th fret the fret spacing was spread in full tones instead of half tones otherwise you couldn't use your fingers to play the notes.

Hamer Virtuoso...

36 frets.

Steve Vai used to have one, and a guy I went to GIT with also had one.

The neck went so far up, that there was only room for one pickup...

When the frets get that close, you're no longer using the tip of your finger to fret the notes.

You have to use your nails, basically.

It sounded pretty cool though.

Right in the middle of a cool arpeggio, you just slide right up ANOTHER octave.

Almost like using a whammy pedal...

The guitar Derek is talking about is Uli Roth's Sky guitar.

Washburn had a series of guitars (can't remember the name right now but I'm positive they've been mentioned on here before) that had a 29 fret model (s/H pickups) and a 36 fret model (H pickup). I've seen a couple at Guitar Center and they're pretty fun even if the paint splatter finish is not my taste.

The guitar Derek is talking about is Uli Roth's Sky guitar.

YAAA!!!!! that's the one!

nyjbkim named it too,

Didn't vai have a 3 octave guitar aswell? but all 36 were normal spacing or something?

Michael "Angelo" Batio had a 29 fret washburn, in his vid speed kills, and if speed does kill, he would have been on a genocidal level!!

anyhow, the top frets are pretty unuseable cos of their size, however they are good for flashy ornamentation, and if you just need the extra high frets to end a run on, and i have designed a 29 fret guitar, its quite cool if i can find it ill mail it to ya if you like, its a turbo cad 2D 6.5 format.

cyas

mike