My First Build, Been Dubbed Joe For The Moment

Ok, I've been workin' on this for a few weeks, but I only get to work monday nights for a few hours, so I don't get to do a whole lot at a time. Anyway, I've been wantin' to build this for a while so I'm glad I finally got the opportunity. I started the design with a template I got from killemall, a prs copy of sorts, and then modified it from there to suit the shape I wanted. I'm happy with how it's turning out so far. I'm gonna get the neck width sawed and sanded out next and then the thickness cut and shapin' the neck. In the mean time though, I'm gonna try and figure out how I'm gonna carve out the body, various bevels and belly cut and whatnot. I also have to figure out the headstock design, I don't have any idea how I'm gonna do that, shape wise that is.

Hardware:

BC Rich tuners I switched out of another guitar I own

Floyd rose locking nut, I didn't like the washburn one

Everything else is from a cheap washburn guitar that I bought for the wonderbar, I'm not a fan of the pickups at all so at some point I'll probably switch those out, but until then I'll use what I got

Any suggestions on how I should do the bevels or of a basic headstock that would compliment the body would be appreciated. The wings aren't actually glued on to the body yet. Let me know what ya think of the guitar overall.

IMG_0168_2.jpg

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z120/an...=IMG_0167_2.jpg

Thanks orgmorg for tellin' me that, I probably shoulda noticed that the image code was there, hehe

Edited by anderekel

Not that my opinion is really worth anything to your design sensibilities, but I've never cares for bodies with "pieces missing" from the back end. Holes in the bottom just don't look good to me. Sorry!

+1000

In other news, the construction quality is shaping up to be top notch!

Yeah, to each their own. I never really thought about it till I saw a guitar from Ed Romans that had a small hole like that (we don't need to start anything there, hehe). So I wanted to make a guitar that had a cutaway like that, but bigger and a little more fancy on the ends. Thanks for sayin' about the quality, I'm glad it's lookin' decent to more experienced builders than I.

The headstock is 3x3, forgot to mention that earlier lol. The finish is probably gonna be tru oil.

Edited by anderekel

Ok, I had to look up what a shark egg looked like. It's actuallly pretty cool and I can see the resembelance http://www.shark-pictures.com/viewpic.php?..._1145855945.jpg

Thanks for the comments all, and thanks for the help on gettin' the picture up orgmorg lol

Wow that picture looks even more like your guitar than I imagined! I was thinking of the dried eggs...

Or maybe a mermaid's purse? Or if that's what you're referring to, I dunno.

More on topic... If you're looking for a simple bevel around the edges, you can use a 45 degree bit in a router. It'll give you something like a Blackmachine carve around the edge, something that I'm going to do for my next build.

Of course, I'd do the bevel after I round off the butt to make it look like an RG :D

Either a 6il or 3x3 headstock would look pretty good, methinks. My vote is for an Ibanez 6 or PRS 3x3. Search for Stewey's RG build, he did a PRS type headstock.

::EDIT::

What woods are you using? Maple, walnut, but what are the wings?

I was thinkin' about doin' a 45 on some of it, I'm gonna draw some out different ideas and decide what I'm gonna do.

As far as headstock goes, I have the tuners I switched out of my les paul copy, which weren't the original tuners anyway, probably much better than the original, so it's gonna be a 3x3. A prs style headstock would probably be a good one.

The wings are chakte kok apparently also called red heart and mahogany for the back. I saw that chakte kok board sittin' there and thought it looked really nice, so I had to get it lol.

not really any progress, but I got my fretboard from lmii today :D

Photo3.jpg

Oh, think I should radius before or after I glue it to the neck and get it final size and whatnot?

What a beautiful wood ! :D

You can radius before glue and left a bit to adjust after the final shape.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got some work on this. I still need to design the headstock, grrrrr, but I'm gonna do that this week and make the template, then route it out during class next week. Over the weekend I got the fretboard shaped and glued in place on the neck, I still haven't radiused it by the way, so don't worry about that, hehe. Today I used a template bit and used the fretboard as a template to get the neck profiled, worked great.

Now, I have a story to tell of why you should never let anyone touch your project that claims they know what they're doin', including teachers....... So, I had to route out for the truss rod, easy enough, I figured I'd use a router table, I already made the spot for the end so that's where I'd start the bit so it didn't tear anything out. Well, I was gonna do it in class. My teacher said I should do it freehand and make a jig, ok, fine. Well, he measured out the amount of bit showing, I told him the depth, and he claimed he grabbed a 1/4 inch bit, well, neither were right. Luckily he had measured the depth too short and the bit was a 3/16 instead of 1/4. So I took it home and used my dad's router table. Took me only a few minutes and it was the right depth and width. I'm never lettin' anyone mess with my projects again lol.

DSC01049_2.jpg

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z120/an...=DSC01050_2.jpg

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z120/an...=DSC01051_2.jpg

I got some more done tonight. First thing I did is to draw out the headstock. It took a while to get it how I liked it, but I'm happy with how it's gonna look, and I did set the tuners on and make sure it'll all fit right and everything, so no problems there. Then I cut the back off the neck off, excess that is. And finally, I got the neck rough shaped, it's not perfectly straight (slightly bumpy), but it should be able to sand out well. I did get to use my new spokeshave, got the veritas low angle one, and I really liked it, I still need some practice with it, but it was really easy to use.

DSC01056_2.jpg

Pictures of the shaped neck

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z120/an...=DSC01052_2.jpg

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z120/an...=DSC01053_2.jpg

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z120/an...=DSC01054_2.jpg