New Guitar Shape, Your Opinion?...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is growing on me. My initial thought was "It's a cross-brand hybrid... so what". After seeing it for a while, the design is slowly growing on me. #2 is a lot better in my eyes than #1. It has a PRS/LPjr look to it. The pickguard and finish changed everything. The slightly off-kilter bottom end is starting to appeal to me as well.

I guess this proves it to a certain degree. The old, classic, proven shapes are some of the most comfortable and visually appealing designs available.

It looks a lot like a Fender Lead II to me.

Yeah, there are some similarities. It kind of has the same vibe as mine. Someone on another forum posted a few other guitars that are similar in look : http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/index....82099#msg182099

Of all 4, the Travis Bean TB-500 is the one that strikes me as being very close to my design. Especially the pickguard :

travis_bean_tb500.gif

I love the look of that TB-500 guitar.

The pickguard and finish changed everything.

Thanks, but there's absolutely no finish on that guitar. It's not even prepped for finishing yet. I still have to do a slight tummy cut, cleanup the transition area between the 1/4" radius roundover and the 1/16" roundover on the bottom horn side. I'm also gonna carve out the lower cutaway, folowing the pickguard line. And erase that pencil line down the middle.

FYI, the glue line is visible at the bottom end of the guitar, about a 1/2" to the right of the pencil line. The neck/pickup/bridge axis was rotated 1 or 2 degrees thanks to a suggestion from a forum member. It makes a big difference in the overall balance (both look-wise and weight-wise) of the design. Since that body was already cut-out before the axis issue was brought up, the glue-line doesn't coincide with the middle line. That'll be fixed for the next one.

BTW, did anyone notice that the pickguard is almost right up to the edge of the body on the lower/right side? I didn't get many comments on that. I was trying to keep some of the elements of #1, and the pickguard was to roughly follow the lines of the top plate's binding from the first guitar... Here's a pic with a few explanations of what's going on :

r2_details.jpg

Edited by Joel Rainville

I like it, but the glue line on the body bothers me. Since it can't be hidden, do you think it might look better if you put a binding strip there that matched the headstock facing wood?

Todd

That's a pencil line down the middle... An eraser should take care of that before I stain the body :D

Sorry, my bad

:D

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress on #2 :

r2_black_3.jpg

Not the easiest color scheme to photograph! :

r2_black_1.jpg

And work started on #3... :

r3_2r.jpg

...which is actually a lefty in real life, mocked up with a flipped over righty pickguard and a rosewood fingerboard :

r3_2.jpg

And #1 plugged in and ready to rock (I need to come up with a truss rod cover fast), with my G&L Legacy (God I hate that MOP pickguard) :

r1nLegacy.jpg

anything diff about no3. apart from lefty?

3 lipstick single coils, maple fretboard, 5-ply BWBWB pickguard, rib and tummy cuts, but that's about it. It's for my brother, he picked up the specs, within limits. I had to push the 25" scale and convince him not to go with a zero fret. I spent all that time learning how to cut nuts properly, might as well use the experience! I don't like the looks of a zero fret anyway...

#4 is also started. It's getting a flame maple "top plate" (see guitar #1), and I'm thinking of making it semi-hollow, with a small f-hole within the top plate area... I'm gonna start experimenting with sunbursting. Because a semi-hollow needs a nice sunburst and PAFs or mini-humbuckers, nothing less IMHO. :D

Edited by Joel Rainville

I really like this body shape, it's stylish and understated but looks really classy. it reminds me of my old PRS EG IV and something about the lower horn says a little bit of rickenbacker, but at the end of the day it's unique and it works well.

Now natural blonde + P90's has me salivating. Good luck with the builds!

had to push the 25" scale and convince him not to go with a zero fret. I spent all that time learning how to cut nuts properly, might as well use the experience! I don't like the looks of a zero fret anyway...

yeah see i figure ive never cut a nut and dont hvae the tools so a zero fret is just perfect for me

guitars are looking real good though

how many of these are you planning to make?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...