Ormsby Guitars - Multiscale Custom

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro, take your propaganda elsewhere. Thanks mate.

Body and neck, 3lbs 14oz. I guess you could call that light weight.

IMG_3875.jpg

Wez, the shape this guitar was supposed to be was very similar to the one you just showed. I was going to use the shape for the next one (finally building a guitar for me!).

Wez, the shape this guitar was supposed to be was very similar to the one you just showed. I was going to use the shape for the next one (finally building a guitar for me!).

:D and i thought i was being original!! the original design brief was warmoth Z meets SG and thats how it came out after a few ugly sketches that really didnt work.. I'm going to have to get a picture of it on the scales when its a bit further along... it wont be less than 4lbs since it mainly consists of bubinga, wenge and maple :D

anyway, thanks for taking the time to do all the videos... its a great learning resource. You should consider doing some instructional ones to sell

That's quite the target weight to shoot for! Very impressive. And I thought my V was something to smile about at just under 5lbs :D

Of course, the guitar and neck were weighed before the control cavities were cut, so take a small amount off for that. If you listen to most people, they'll say it wont sustain because its too light weight...

IMG_3890.jpg

Recessed control knobs

anyway, thanks for taking the time to do all the videos... its a great learning resource. You should consider doing some instructional ones to sell

They'll be included with the book, when its done. If all goes to plan, there will be a major announcement soon (not the book, something else). We are going to 'chop' things up a bit :D

some Wenge, thicknessed down for the tops and guts of the humbucker bobbins

IMG_3892.jpg

Right on Rich. I speak to many "custom" guitar makers that only build bolt-on neck strats, in particular colours. Whats custom about it, well, nothing... What a boring job :D

Control rout. Cut a little large to reduce body weight, and allow for possible inbuilt wireless system later on.

IMG_3893.jpg

Right on Rich. I speak to many "custom" guitar makers that only build bolt-on neck strats, in particular colours. Whats custom about it, well, nothing... What a boring job :D

Surely customs take so much more time to make than "standards"? In that respect, those builders are perhaps in a different bracket? Fender did a great job of making boring instruments with no custom options, plus they all look the same on a black and white TV :-D

I have a guitar in the workshop right now, in for a snapped headstock. Its an Epiphone CUSTOMSHOP Silver burst. Customshop Epiphone? I mean, seriously....

Recessed knobs. I see a lot of people recommending grain filler on every guitar. The white you see here is the only grain filler i used (but i did use primer later), to make it easier to get a nice smooth recess for the knobs.

IMG_3926.jpg

To bring us up to speed with the videos...

Here is the YouTube video

Here is the YouTube video

Be sure to subscribe to the YouTube videos. I have many more coming in the future, and i wont always be posting up links to them. Some will also only be up for a few days, and deleted, to get comments and reactions. You never know what you'll miss out on. Subscribe :D

I have a guitar in the workshop right now, in for a snapped headstock. Its an Epiphone CUSTOMSHOP Silver burst. Customshop Epiphone? I mean, seriously....

Recessed knobs. I see a lot of people recommending grain filler on every guitar. The white you see here is the only grain filler i used (but i did use primer later), to make it easier to get a nice smooth recess for the knobs.

I wonder if the reason it is a custom shop is because it's a silverburst. I didn't think Epis did silver. shrug. In any case, it's pretty amusing.

I see what you mean about the grain filler. Some of the curves on my V are so porous (combination of the angled bevels and endgrain) that they singlehandedly would have convinced me to grain fill it. But why not do a grain filler anyways if you're doing an opaque finish, if only for extra security? I mean, maybe not on that alder, because it is so even, but on others.

I might dig out my youtube password if it means the possibility of semi-exclusive videos :D

perry would u mind if i barrowed your scallop idea for a guitar im making for myself, sorry hijack

I would rather you didnt, but im not going to stop you.

Setting the neck. I remember seeing recently a guy who had a couple necks being glued in. He had string run through the machinehead holes and down to the body, so he could check the alignment of the neck while it was being clamped. How sloppy are the neck joints if you can twist the neck in the pocket to 'get it all straight'. Ouch. Make them tight.

IMG_3930.jpg

I wonder if the reason it is a custom shop is because it's a silverburst. I didn't think Epis did silver. shrug. In any case, it's pretty amusing.

I see what you mean about the grain filler. Some of the curves on my V are so porous (combination of the angled bevels and endgrain) that they singlehandedly would have convinced me to grain fill it. But why not do a grain filler anyways if you're doing an opaque finish, if only for extra security? I mean, maybe not on that alder, because it is so even, but on others.

I saw a recent thread where someone recommended (over alder and poplar) to sand to 400grit, then grain fill (alder and poplar dont need grain fillers), then shellac (why?), then stain (stain doesnt absorb through shellac), then sand back (removing both the stain and the shellac), restain (which will be blotchy because of the soaked in shellac), sanding sealer (with IS a grain filler), lacquer. What an amazing waste of time. Of course, this is for a clear finish, but still...

One coat of primer, no grain filler. One grey guide coat. One thin coat of primer. One black grain coat. Watch the video to see why i use the grey/black guide coats (90% thinners, 10% paint, 20% of normaly coverage = thin thin thin)

IMG_3937.jpg

Watch the YouTube video

< covers the sanding and paint

Very nice work Perry! I always enjoying seeing what new concepts and creative ideas you can think up. Whether using crumbled MOP for wicked lightning inlays or your new scallop concept, always a treat to see. Keep those pics coming! Jason

I saw a recent thread where someone recommended (over alder and poplar) to sand to 400grit, then grain fill (alder and poplar dont need grain fillers), then shellac (why?), then stain (stain doesnt absorb through shellac), then sand back (removing both the stain and the shellac), restain (which will be blotchy because of the soaked in shellac), sanding sealer (with IS a grain filler), lacquer. What an amazing waste of time. Of course, this is for a clear finish, but still...

Was that the one on an Australian woodworking forum that started out asking what his B.C.Rich Gunslinger was made of? If so, I saw that one too.

For your amusement:

Sand down from 120,180,240,320 until it is completely blemish free

Apply shellac (weak) to raise the grain can be wiped on generously

Sand with 320. make sure you sand all shellac if you want to stain

Stain with a dark tint (to enhance the grain lines).

Sand back until only the grain lines have a hint of stain

Stain again with your chosen "honey colour"

Apply shellac

Apply grainfiller (tinted to suit stained timber)

Sand grainfiller back

Apply grainfiller again

Sand grainfiller back

Apply Shellac

Apply sanding sealer/base

Apply topcoats

Sand and buff

This was the suggestion for a poplar or alder body. Use shellac to raise the grain, then sand it all off? Uh.... NO. Grainfill after staining? Shellac (sealer), then sanding sealer on top of that? :D

This, my friends, is why y'all told me I HAD to buy Flexner's book, which I did. For that, you have by gratitude. There's way too much finishing misinformation floating around out there. Finishing isn't really that hard - it's just time consuming and easy to get monkeyed up.

Was that the one on an Australian woodworking forum that started out asking what his B.C.Rich Gunslinger was made of? If so, I saw that one too.

For your amusement:

Sand down from 120,180,240,320 until it is completely blemish free

Apply shellac (weak) to raise the grain can be wiped on generously

Sand with 320. make sure you sand all shellac if you want to stain

Stain with a dark tint (to enhance the grain lines).

Sand back until only the grain lines have a hint of stain

Stain again with your chosen "honey colour"

Apply shellac

Apply grainfiller (tinted to suit stained timber)

Sand grainfiller back

Apply grainfiller again

Sand grainfiller back

Apply Shellac

Apply sanding sealer/base

Apply topcoats

Sand and buff

This was the suggestion for a poplar or alder body. Use shellac to raise the grain, then sand it all off? Uh.... NO. Grainfill after staining? Shellac (sealer), then sanding sealer on top of that? :D

This, my friends, is why y'all told me I HAD to buy Flexner's book, which I did. For that, you have by gratitude. There's way too much finishing misinformation floating around out there. Finishing isn't really that hard - it's just time consuming and easy to get monkeyed up.

Exactly. This whole finishing thing is much easier if you want it to be. Ive never used shellac. I very rarely grain fill. Ive never stained black and sanded back. And i can assure you no guitar factory ever does either. For the record, this finish, from final timber sanding up and applying the primer, to buffing, took 5 days.

Clear coat.

IMG_3956.jpg