My Second New Project

I've been picking up lots of good stuff since I joined the board, thanks to everyone.

I've just kicked of my second project and I am trying to document my progress for the future, and I figure I may as well share it here too.

Here's a few pictures, starting from the original sketches to the current point of progress. I'll keep updaing as I go.

Just settling on a design:

100_1603Large.jpg

Edited by Metalhead28

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 :D I really like that shape too. It's modern looking without being too over the top. Very sleek! Can't wait to watch this come along.

Hmmm. Simple, efficient, elegant. Not gawdy, not too far from traditional, definitely going to be comfy and easy to play.

The Zebrawood top... are you planning any colored stain ideas? Any color scheme? Got an idea, follow me on a journey of absuredness and extreme difficulty... get a clearcoat with a fine metallic in it. To give the whole top a clear but shiny and metallic coat over that awesome grain, then sunburst to black. All chrome hardware.

Hmm?

The Mcnaught Phoenix is one of my favorite shapes, so it was definitely an inspiration. This was a freehand sketch and I incorporated some deliberate differences, but you're right, it's still pretty similar. :D

It's getting a ebony board...possibly blank or maybe with small offset dots. Stainless fretwire. I'm using a Hipshot Hardtail for the bridge.

I'm planning on all black hardware, and a natural finish for sure. I'm still torn on whether I want to put a gloss finish on it or just oil or something like that.

The Mcnaught Phoenix is one of my favorite shapes, so it was definitely an inspiration. This was a freehand sketch and I incorporated some deliberate differences, but you're right, it's still pretty similar. :D

I can see the subtle differences though. Great job.

• 1 month later...

Haven't stopped by for an update in a while, but I've been documenting the build pretty closely.

After taking about 3 weeks off of the project for other things, I got moving again this weekend.

I've got the neck profiled and tapered, the truss rod in. I've tapered the fingerboard and installed 4mm offset dots.

I've just glued up some extensions for the headstock sides. After this dries I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Here are a couple shots along the way:

100_1656Large.jpg

100_1701Large.jpg

Looking really good, hoping to see more progress on this thing!

oh yeah and if you haven't glued on the wings I suggest doing the side dots right away, and maybe even fretting.. With my neck-thru build I fretted and did the side dots after gluing it together. Made the last 10 frets really hard to do..

Edited by ngaa

oh yeah and if you haven't glued on the wings I suggest doing the side dots right away, and maybe even fretting.. With my neck-thru build I fretted and did the side dots after gluing it together. Made the last 10 frets really hard to do..

Yeah, I've already done the dots, and I'm going to finish the fretting before I glue on the wings and also before I carve the neck.

I just bought the Stew-Mac fret caul and I'm gonna press them in in my drill press, I'm looking forward to that.

Yeah, I've already done the dots, and I'm going to finish the fretting before I glue on the wings and also before I carve the neck.

I just bought the Stew-Mac fret caul and I'm gonna press them in in my drill press, I'm looking forward to that.

Yeah, that fret press is very useful :D Good luck on the fretting!