Deco S Jnr. "tri-caster"

a warning before i start. this will probably be slow going as im buying parts as i can afford them and also doing other things.

i decided to put the tri-sonics from my very first build to some good use as that guitar never gets played anymore. so this is the use im putting it to. erm. yes. its a junior version (to a certain extent) of a semi-hollow design of mine. heres the design first

th_afdecotri-casters.jpg

it will be a through neck made from black limba with either ebony or rosewood fretboard (havent decided yet). the tri-sonics will be controlled in the usual strat fashion, only with a series/parallel switch, with a push/pull on the vol to bring in the neck pickup, push/pull on the tone for phase, and a blend knob for the series mode. heres pics so far

th_05072008085.jpgth_09072008093.jpgth_09072008094.jpg

Mmm, I like the shape, and the headstock logo too. Think we could get a better pic of it? And how much Deco are you incorporating into this build? I'm hoping LOTS :D

As for the wire channel routes...... *pats self on back* Quite a nifty idea if I do say so myself :D That looks to be a 4" or so wide center block? What's the benefit of drilling/routing before putting the wings on? I myself like something to balance the router on, and the wings help. I'm building a thinline hollow as well, so any tips I can score along the way are nice. I'm noting the curious admission of soundholes, however.

What color are you thinking? Erm, yeah, I think that's enough questions for me, really.

Nice job, Hoogle!

Mmm, I like the shape, and the headstock logo too. Think we could get a better pic of it? And how much Deco are you incorporating into this build? I'm hoping LOTS :D

As for the wire channel routes...... *pats self on back* Quite a nifty idea if I do say so myself :D That looks to be a 4" or so wide center block? What's the benefit of drilling/routing before putting the wings on? I myself like something to balance the router on, and the wings help. I'm building a thinline hollow as well, so any tips I can score along the way are nice. I'm noting the curious admission of soundholes, however.

What color are you thinking? Erm, yeah, I think that's enough questions for me, really.

Nice job, Hoogle!

well, this is a jnr. type thing, so not much deco on this one im afraid. the full version gets a good deco quota, so you'll have to wait till i do one of them hehe

this one isnt a semi-hollow, although once again, the full version is. the wire channels were only done like that as its easier to do that than drilling between each pickup once the wings are glued on. as for routing for the pups before the wings were glued on, well, im impatient hehe

im thinking the colour will be a light black tint all over with black bursting. maybe.

As for the wire channel routes...... *pats self on back* Quite a nifty idea if I do say so myself :D

the wire channels were only done like that as its easier to do that than drilling between each pickup once the wings are glued on.

how else do people do them, or whats so different about the way hooglebug has done them over the way described in melvyn hiscocks book? i see 3 channels in the side of the neck blank rather than 1 but i am not sure what advantage that gives over 1 channel:unsure:

i've done three seperate ones cos the pickups are being screwed to the body and the wire channels would have cut through where the screws were. thats the only reason i've done that

Did you make a corresponding route in the wing as well? I ask cause I have very little visual imagination and it seems as though you will end up sealing off the top pups wire route when you glue up the wings, unless your electronics cavity reaches all the way to the end of that upper route? Does that make sense? I just couldn't figure that part out, other than that, very well done, clean.

Anyhow, it looks wicked so far! I'm really digging this one as I seem to of all your builds, not to mention I'm always somewhat biased when limba comes into play. +1 on the deco specific logo as well, very nicely done! Keep those progress pics coming as you can, keep up the great work! J

no theres no route on the wing. the wire channel goes in about 15-20mm (cant remember) then i've routed a little in the pup cavities too so they're all connected

i really want to do a full blown deco, but i really cant afford to. so unless someone wants one (hint hint) i cant

hehe

• 3 weeks later...

managed to get some more done. my computer broke so i havent been able to post anything. luckily i had all my images and files on a dongle thing cos iv lost everything that was on the computer. damn it.

anyway, got the fretboard on, fretted (no work done on the frets yet), and neck rough carved. i asked for a slightly stripey bit of ebony, and thats what i got. s'nice

17.jpg

th_18.jpgth_19.jpgth_20.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

got the burst done yesterday. was going to do the clear today only my spray gun is leaking out of every orifice so im going to have to get a new one.

i went a bit black happy on the neck, but ah well. also, theres not the huge difference in brightness of the neck and back as there looks to be in the pic either

th_21.jpgth_22.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
anyway, theres pics here

Just FYI, I had to use IE to look at your site. It looks awful and doesn't work with Firefox or Opera. Might think about fixing it, since a lot of people are using Firefox these days.

The guitar looks good, though.