Neck Scalloping

hi. i'm scalloping my telecaster neck but need some help. i've basically been following the process outlined for frets 21-24 but as the frets get wider, i'm encountering more problems. i don't have the sanding machinery required for the full neck scallop tutorial so i have to make do...

some pictues of my progress so far are available here

Guest AlexVDL

I'd like to quote:

was this a new neck? what you're doing to it is horrible!! what were you thinking?

:D

YOU IDIOT!!! THAT WAS A BRAND NEW NECK!!!! ERRRRRRRGHHH!!!!

i wish i had money like you...

uhh B)

i fail to see how chipping wood and paint off the body of the guitar would not affect the tone. there's more to a guitar than just the strings

Well prepare yourself , your guitar will sound different now :D

Guest AlexVDL

Try a wider file or rasp.... I think it's impossible to scallop the wider areas between the frets with a small narrow file. It can be done, but it's a hell of a job, and you need much patience.

Good luck :D

i did my hole neck with 3 different sized half rounded files, you may way to pay more attention to the depth, try and keep it a bit more consistant, other then that you'll looking good so far :D

I'd like to quote:

was this a new neck? what you're doing to it is horrible!! what were you thinking?

YOU IDIOT!!! THAT WAS A BRAND NEW NECK!!!! ERRRRRRRGHHH!!!!

i wish i had money like you...

uhh :D

i fail to see how chipping wood and paint off the body of the guitar would not affect the tone. there's more to a guitar than just the strings

Well prepare yourself , your guitar will sound different now :D

hhahhahaahah! B) i remember those quotes B) . this wasn't a brand new neck. it was from my mexican telecaster. it's a year old and the frets are quite warn down. i have no doubt that scalloping will affect the tone. besides, i still have my custom carvin DC400C that's going nowhere! B)

i think i'll try using a bigger rasp. the problem with the bigger radius rasp is that it is harder to get close to the fret without going really deep. so far i've been using that 1/4" round file and using sand paper to smooth things out.

Take your present file and wrap some 150 grit around it about 2-3 times, tape it off at both ends so it won't slip and start slow n easy finishing the job.

If you need wider then add more wraps, thinner then fewer.

Sweet simple and you can change the grit to smooth out any minor gouges you might incure.

Refretting a scalloped neck, maple or any other wood, is seriously challenging.

I refretted a Malmsteen Strat last year for one of my regulars. It took a long time to get right, as you don't have a bunch of level areas between the frets to use as a reference for relief. Also, when you go about levelling the fret slots after removing the old frets, you've got to be really cautious about NOT flattening the fret land too much. I think that something like the Erlewine neck jig would be highly useful on such a job. The relief could be gauged with the guitar strung, before the old frets are removed. That would at least provide a reference from which to work when installing and levelling the new frets.

Refretting a scalloped neck, maple or any other wood, is seriously challenging.

I refretted a Malmsteen Strat last year for one of my regulars. It took a long time to get right, as you don't have a bunch of level areas between the frets to use as a reference for relief.

What if you had a small flat ledge near the frets, sort of like we see in this picture from Brian's scalloping tutorial? Do you think it would make refretting easier?

rt9.jpg

i dont get this

wont scalloping completely change what the fret sounds like?

if the fretboard is lower down you have to push more down...

doing that, the string stretches more so makes it higher...

explanations requested...

i know some effects that scalloping will give but can someone make it clear for me? what does it REALLY do?

i dont get this

i know some effects that scalloping will give but can someone make it clear for me? what does it REALLY do?

Hmm... if you're touching fretboard when playing, you're pressing too hard. It's not "proper" to press that hard, scalloped or not. Well anyway, scalloping forces you not to press too hard so in a way it "teaches" you to play with a light touch.

I forgot to mention the benefits. For me, there is a lot less friction (with the fretboard.) I guess you have to try it to really understand the benefit. By trying it I mean for a good amount of time (weeks?,) not just trying a friend's for 10 minutes and saying "This is weird, I don't like it" :D

just wait till you try vibrato's wOOt bend power :D

The vibrato is the biggest advantage that I've noticed. I can only imagine what it might be like with stainless steel frets! I've had the scalloped fretboard for about a month now. The first day, it felt kind of awkward. But I'm liking it more and more, and I don't think I'll be going back to a regular fretboard. Like nyjbkim wrote, it really does teach you not to squeeze the neck which is one of the causes of guitar-related hand injuries. You notice over-squeezing the most when you play open chords on a scalloped neck.

i dont get this

ya, like they said, easier bends, but you do have to have "the touch" so that half your notes don't sound a bit off