• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I filed the fret tang ends, then filled the gaps with dust'n'glue mix:

P9250092.jpg

(Wish I had a better camera...)

DJ

Thank you for your kind words guys!

Just wanna point out that it's just metal polish gunge beside the frets in this photo (not remnants of superglue or anything!), just hadn't been wiped clean yet!

Yeah, she's coming up well! Just working on fixing that broken retainer screw hole now, might have her strung up this weekend yet! I epoxied the bridge post bush for now - we'll see if it holds firm. If it doesn't, well there are other more elaborate options open to me! I think there's something to sort out with the bridge too. I still really wanna get a sustainer pickup in this one, just to try it!

DJ

DJ - next time we're up your way, i'll hit you up a drink and I promise we won't steal it. Or your prev. RG.

Totally. Good work.

Sweet. See yer in the pub then! clink

I'm right up off the north coast: Orkney, to be exact.

Oh, and last time someone said "promise I won't steal it" to me, the "it" in question went walkies, all by itself, funny that.

DJ

• 3 weeks later...
Tracing the p/g onto the body before you started carving on it was a good idea.

Thanks! The above photo makes it look a lot worse than it actually is...I would like to point out!

The body edge will be nicely parallel to the pickguard edge when finished!

(Although I may slightly modify the shape of the pickguard horn too! :D )

DJ

• 5 weeks later...

Next on the agenda was the rear of the monkey grip handle, which was missing the flat area:

P1010270.jpg

Oops! Took a little too much off, so had to add a thin shim of wood to make up the thickness.... :D

And onto the jack socket, which is in totally the wrong place for a Jem:

PB080275.jpg

I'm getting my mate at work to make me some CNC-cut perspex routing templates for (amongst other things) the jack socket arrangement. (He did a fantastic job on the Floyd Rose templates I had him do!)

More on this to follow....stay tuned!

DJ

Meanwhile, the headstock will be repainted and re-logo-ed.

I had it painted before, but I just wasn't satisfied with the masking I had done of the logos, so.....

PICT1619.jpg

I had a local graphics/signmaking company make a new JEM logo sticker for me, and they did a great job! OK it cost me 5 bucks plus VAT, but it was worth it IMHO! I sourced an Ibanez logo on the 'Bay. (I have decided to keep this axe, so I have no qualms about the branding, or about telling everyone it's really a Chibanez!)

BTW, I should explain: I did have this guitar "completed" already. But with the bridge posts still being a probem, I just decided that I should get it right, hence the End Of Part One and onto Part Two scenario.

Also, one of the bridge saddles just will not keep a grip of the string, and since it's an awful bridge anyway it will be replaced.

I was genuinely amazed at how good the stock pickups are! Plenty of output, nice range of tones available.

DJ

Oh yeah, I know why it's necessary (and I agree!) but sometimes this "2 pics per post" rule is a bit of a pain...

Meanwhile, the headstock will be repainted and re-logo-ed.

I had it painted before, but I just wasn't satisfied with the masking I had done of the logos, so.....

I had a local graphics/signmaking company make a new JEM logo sticker for me, and they did a great job! OK it cost me 5 bucks plus VAT, but it was worth it IMHO! I sourced an Ibanez logo on the 'Bay. (I have decided to keep this axe, so I have no qualms about the branding, or about telling everyone it's really a Chibanez!)

BTW, I should explain: I did have this guitar "completed" already. But with the bridge posts still being a probem, I just decided that I should get it right, hence the End Of Part One and onto Part Two scenario.

Also, one of the bridge saddles just will not keep a grip of the string, and since it's an awful bridge anyway it will be replaced.

I was genuinely amazed at how good the stock pickups are! Plenty of output, nice range of tones available.

DJ

Oh yeah, I know why it's necessary (and I agree!) but sometimes this "2 pics per post" rule is a bit of a pain...

Looks awsome man! Are you gonna throw a quality trem on there and make it look like the real deal?

Right, back to the jack socket, as promised.

So, problem was this: how do you drill a big 20mm hole into the side of the body but at about 45 degrees??

Can't use a spade bit, cos the centre tip wouldn't even touch at that angle; same problem with an auger bit...

So, I came up with this solution:

PB110003.jpg

Attach a pre-made block to the side, which will present a perpendicular surface for a Forstner bit! (Blue tape is depth guide, obviously!)

And it worked perfectly! The block held the bit at the right angle, exactly as intended.

PB110004.jpg

Result:

PB110006.jpg

(Stuff ya, I put in a 3rd pic! :D )

DJ

but sometimes this "2 pics per post" rule is a bit of a pain...

The rules were recently changed to 4 pics per post.

Ah! I didn't realise that, thank you!

Trem solution:

whilst browsing UK site Axes R Us for replacement trem bushes I found this:

that is what I was talking about 2 months ago...

Alot of trems offer a steel plate that sits under the trem screw,against the wood,and lends a bit of aid to the soft wood.

Yeah thanks, I knew what you meant back then, I just hadn't found a prefabricated solution at that point. And I wasn't confident about making one myself really. Isn't it useful that you can buy one, rather than try to make one?

I also gave serious thought to PSW's suggestion about inserting a metal block from underneath.

DJ

• 2 weeks later...
Hurry up and finish the work and make sure you do it well, so I can do a bit of breaking and entering to steal it :-\

Do you realise that's the second time you've mentioned your intention to steal my guitars in this topic alone?

I'm starting to worry about you, man....... :D

So, I'll post up some photos soon, but I have been making a little progress.

The headstock has been re-logo-ed and repainted, and is looking very good!

I've finished making the jack socket cavity, and re-routing the jack socket hole.

Next I'll be routing a battery compartment (for the sustainer pickup that it will sport at some time in the future!)

Oh, so little time! Working full-time, 2 kids, plenty other guitar projects etc etc. I try not to get too demotivated during winters cold and dark months. :D

Must rebuild my computer this weekend as well. Scored a 500GB USB2 harddrive for £40 delivered, yay! Isn't it amazing how much hdd space you take up with all these guitar work photos??

DJ