Tele With A Twist

The neck pickup is going to host a mini humbucker. As I don't have a dedicated mini humbucker template (it is the first ever mini humbucker I wind) and the rout is covered by the pickguard I used a traditional humbucker routing template. The neck joint is being made using this type of ferrules:

Neck_Mounting_Ferrules.jpg

combined with steel inserts in the neck and stainless steel recessed Torx head machine screws (M6). That way I can reshape the traditional heel and get a superior coupling (if anyone still believe in good coupling between the parts of a guitar, I do) between the neck and the body.

The wood is from a local supplier here in Sweden. According to him it is north American ash and European maple. The fretboard is ebony that I got from Stewmac. The body wood is extremely light and very resonant. And it have a nice grain pattern too. the maple is... well maple. Not exceptional in any way. The ebony is one of the most uniform piece of ebony I have seen in a few years time. Almost 100% black and really nice.

Thank you very uch for helping me . could ijust ask how did u cut the neck join and how do you determine the join ??

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that you reffer to the neck pocket rout. It is routed out with a template, pretty much the same way as the pickup routs. The question about determining the joint I really doesn't understand. Sorry...

Last coat of lacquer done

DSCF2996.jpg

With this nice last coat all that there is to do is to sand everything with 1200 grit sandpaper and off to the buffing wheels. But that has to wait a few weeks. The manufacturer says that it can be buffed out within hours, but my experience is that a few weeks will get the coating harder and the end result even better. So there will not be many updates in a while.

I think that you reffer to the neck pocket rout. It is routed out with a template, pretty much the same way as the pickup routs. The question about determining the joint I really doesn't understand. Sorry...

Ye that is the joint where do you get the template from ?? and also how deep do tou rout same for teh ickups how deep??

also with the laquer do you have to have a special mask?

Edited by NAWY2J

The answer to all those questions except the last one is, "it depends." You really need to lay everything out on paper and see how deep all the routes need to be. Pickups are different depths, necks are different heights, etc., etc.

Where to get a neck pocket template? Make your own, or you could look on eBay or stewmac.com.

The answer to the last question is "Under no circumstances should you spray lacquer (or anything else, really) without a proper respirator." Nitrocellulose lacquer will do serious harm to your lungs.

Rick has it all covered. But as your questions tell me that you have no real idea about how to do all of those things (no problem with that, everyone have to start some were) I think that for every answer, you will have another question. I think that a really good place for you to start is with a good book that explains everything from start to end. Even in those hi-tech internet days a good, pedagogic book rocks. I always recommend Melvyn Hiscock's book, as it was the one that got me started. Many people also recommend the Martin Koch book, but I don't have it so I can't really tell you if it is good or not.

But to be a bit explanatory on this specific build, I was lazy. I usually make my own templates, but this time, as I have yet another Tele build (for a customer) coming up, I decided that I could be lazy. I got the body template from this guy:

http://www.revintage.co.uk/template_t.htm

He was cheep, the template is really accurate (I compared to a very detailed drawing and a facsimile of the original -52 factory blueprint) and he delivered really fast

Body outline, neck pocket rout, bridge pocket rout, control cavity rout. Everything with two templates. I did the neck template, head and heal area myself.

And 'bout the respiratory mask; Even though the water based (or more correct, water borne) lacquer I use is much less harmful for you, you should always use a mask. You will not grow new lungs when the old once goes bad.

I lied...I have plenty of more pictures for you. First the neck is oiled.

DSCF3003.jpg

The color is pretty close to the lacquered peg head face and it will come closer and closer over the next 6 to 10 months.

And I have some pics of the pickups. First the parts of the Tel bridge pup

DSCF2952.jpg

Pushing the magnets in place using a special tool (a piece of wood with a straight hole to guide the magnet) and the pillar drill to gently push tem in there. It takes a bit of force if you do not bevel the magnets, and Ido not whant to bevelthe mag on this particular pickup

DSCF2961.jpg

Pushing the top flange in place

DSCF2963.jpg

And the finished pickup

DSCF3005.jpg

Still one to go, the neck pickup...

The neck pickup is a mini Humbucker Gibson DeLuxe-style. There are two main designs for a mini HB from Gibson: The DeLuxe and the Firebird versions. A bit different in design and a bit different in sound.

The baseplate and the screws. In a Mini HB the baseplate are threaded for the screw. Not like a full size HB were the screws are "threaded" through the plastic of the screw side bobbin.

DSCF2945.jpg

And there are no slugs on the non-adjustable side. It is a steel blade through the complete bobbin, resting on the very edge of the magnet. And the magnet is a bit smaller than standard HB magnets. And it is AlNiCo5 for all you people striving for "vintage correctness".

DSCF2944.jpg

This is how it looks before the cover comes on

DSCF2948.jpg

And with the cover in place

DSCF2950.jpg

Killer sound! I'm so glad I took the extra time (and money) to track down mini HB parts. This is possible the best Tele neck pickup I have ever heard. But then again, I hate standard Tele neck pickups...

Rick has it all covered. But as your questions tell me that you have no real idea about how to do all of those things (no problem with that, everyone have to start some were) I think that for every answer, you will have another question. I think that a really good place for you to start is with a good book that explains everything from start to end. Even in those hi-tech internet days a good, pedagogic book rocks. I always recommend Melvyn Hiscock's book, as it was the one that got me started. Many people also recommend the Martin Koch book, but I don't have it so I can't really tell you if it is good or not.

But to be a bit explanatory on this specific build, I was lazy. I usually make my own templates, but this time, as I have yet another Tele build (for a customer) coming up, I decided that I could be lazy. I got the body template from this guy:

http://www.revintage.co.uk/template_t.htm

He was cheep, the template is really accurate (I compared to a very detailed drawing and a facsimile of the original -52 factory blueprint) and he delivered really fast

Body outline, neck pocket rout, bridge pocket rout, control cavity rout. Everything with two templates. I did the neck template, head and heal area myself.

And 'bout the respiratory mask; Even though the water based (or more correct, water borne) lacquer I use is much less harmful for you, you should always use a mask. You will not grow new lungs when the old once goes bad.

Thank you all very helpfull

very intersted by the mini-HB stuff... i want some!!! ?

although just to clarify what you obviously know with what i think i know, isnt there 3 ways to make a mini-HB

the epiphone/gibson deluxe way you are doing which consists of 1 coil with a bar polepiece (N) and one with screw polepieces(S) with an alnico magnet underneath the pickup contacting the poles from both coils

then the firebird version that has alnico bar magnets inside both of the coils like a blade polepiece... having a ferrous metal shim on the base between both magnets. once with north facing up, one with south

and the 3rd done by gibson is the johnny smith model that has a bar magent in one coil pointing up north, a ferrous metal plate on the bottom and screw polepices in teh other coil with south pointing up

i have tried the first two and like them both but am intrigued by the johnny smith one as its theoretically the best of both worlds and a tidy design to squeeze into a mini-HB casing, possibly easier to rewind than the original as well

anyway - great stuff!! i agree that mini-HB's are the perfect neck pickup for teles

You are on spot Wez, I forgot the Jimmy Smith version of a mini HB. What you might not know is that the Jimmy Smith model have a wider steel shim, all the way to the edge of the bobbins. As I have not made any JS minis, I have no idea of what that does to the sound. But if will for sure reshape the magnetic field, and the shape of the field is IMHO one of the most important factors in the tone-shaping process when it comes to pickups. I also suspect that the combination of one single magnet with a magnetic field that has to be "directed" through the shim into the screw (two 90 deg bends) and against the strings, combined with the steel shim also directing some of the magnetic field perpendicular to the more "normal" direction will produce a weaker signal as the magnetic field will probably be much weaker. And the inductance will change a bit too because of the different in metal mass in and around the pickup. The JS mini manufactured by Gibson was also sold to other companies and used by, among others, Harmony that used it in some of the Silvertone models. And I do no think Harmonys are rated among the best sounding guitars around. But that is only opinions and I have never heard a guitar with a JS pickup, be it a Gibbo or a Harmony or any other brand, so don't take my word for it.

Anyway, I do not think that it is easier or harder to wind the JS mini, as they share the exact same bobbins and wind count IIRC. The difference is in the original wire. The Deluxe used AWG42 Poly, while the Firebird and JS used AWG42 plain enamel.

Some trivia:

There were actually an early pickup from Epiphone, before Gibson bought the company, that sometimes is mistaken for a mini HB because of the offset row of adjustable screw polepices. I think it is called a New Yorker as it was used in the original Epiphone New Yorker. The look was similar to the later deluxe models but it was a single coil "sidewinder" type of pickups. I have forgotten the rest of the specifications but if you go to the pickup winders forum there is a guy that had the specs in a mini HB thread.

ah yes, i knew about the metal shim being full width, i think thats why i was considering the rewind... i dont think it has the screws attached to the baseplate like the one you have made but just contacting the ferrous shim.. Mini-HB's can be a bugger to take apart. definately will be a bit lower output but i dont mind that - maybe i should search down some old Harmony mini-HB's to try and disect

anyway, any plans to make these to sell? or even any spare Mini-HB parts you would be willing to sell off in kit form... i Usually get my pickups from bareknuckle but tim doesnt keep parts for mini-HB's in stock any more

Did u make those you'r self?

Not the parts, but I wind all my pickups myself

any plans to make these to sell? or even any spare Mini-HB parts you would be willing to sell off in kit form... i Usually get my pickups from bareknuckle but tim doesnt keep parts for mini-HB's in stock any more

Originally I didn’t plan to sell them as this is my first attempt to make minis, but it turned out so good I will add them to my StarStruck line of pickups. I list most of my available pickups here:

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/eng_pickuper.htm

(start page here: www.peternaglitschluthier.com)

The pickups missing are my StarStruck RetroPhonics, a standard HB size pickup with a distinct Gretsch vibe and look, and now the StarStruck DeLuxe mini HBs. The only problem is that the mini HB parts is really expensive (parts for one mini = parts for two standard HBs) and thus the mini HBs get expensive. On the flip side my source for mini parts can provide me with really high quality part like correct size screws and magnets and nickel silver covers.

If you want Bareknuckle to wind some minis and he cannot find parts, direct him to me and I’ll share the source

Gotta get some sound clips up…The only problem is that I have to reveal how lousy I play

And Wez, if you get a chance to se the inside of a JS mini, please snap some pics and post them, will ya? I’d love to se the inside.

Are your prices listed in Euros? If so, what would they be American?

Heck no, he he. If so the prices would be over the top, and I am not that big a name in boutique pickup winding yet. I wish I could charge those prices in Euro though. If so I could quit my day job...

Swedish Crowns, SEK.

Exchange Rates

Thanks Matt

Today the exchange rate is 1 SEK = 0.121770 USD, so a mini HB for 1100 SEK will cost 130 USD ( yeah my math have never been extremely good...)

BTW the price is 90£ or 100€ for those.

And all of them can be tailored to your specific needs, including top-charged or slightly degaussed magnets, adjusted wind count and so on. Plastic mounting ring a la Gibson DeLuxe is not included. Firebird type mounting rings can be ordered.

Anyone should feel free to PM me if interested

Moderators: Please notify me if I have stepped over the line here. I know that this probably should take place in the classified section...

• 1 month later...

OK, so now the guitar have been sitting on a shelve for a few weeks, letting the finish cure thoroughly. It's time to move on. Did the final wet sanding today. Tomorrow I'll probably find the time to buff it.

DSCF3039.jpg

DSCF3041.jpg

BTW I have been using the Mini HB in another guitar just to get to know the type of pickup better and it is great! Really! I have recorded the sound clips I promised some weeks ago. Now I only have to get in touch with my webmaster again and get him to update my site...

Buffed out

DSCF3045.jpg

and assembled

DSCF3048a.jpg

I'll shoot better pictures when I have it fully adjusted and set up.