Please Could People Help Me To Build My First Ever Guitar ?

1. Buy melvyn hiscocks book - Make Your Own Electric Guitar

2. Use the search function of this forum to find out more detail and alternative ways to approach certain tasks

3. Ask specific questions when you want specific answers.

ok thanks at the moment all i have done is make a idea so could you help e choose the wood and where from ?? i was thinking mahogany

To learn on - before making the big dive. Follow steps 1 and 2, then join pieces of pine from a hardware store to learn the basics of cutting a body. During that time, follow step #1 until it makes sense :D and you'll answer your own question. There are WAY too many discussions on here about wood and qualities to just give a definitive answer.

Mahogany for strat, tele or bass neck or anything else I just can´t think of ? ( i note those aren´t common woods in those builds, but what can you tell, this is project guitar). Do you have an idea how guitar looks likes and etC. ?

If someone thinks think this is a joke think about army.

Mahogany for strat, tele or bass neck or anything else I just can´t think of ? ( i note those aren´t common woods in those builds, but what can you tell, this is project guitar). Do you have an idea how guitar looks likes and etC. ?

If someone thinks think this is a joke think about army.

Hey it aint a joke in doing it as a school project ye i do have a shape in mind but dont know how to go bout it cose i only got 30 days of school to finish it in :D

30 days and newbie. NO CAN DO ! If i must say. I´have been there and done that, you wanna see pics ? School project and tight time limit and all. Still no. How many hours you have ? Guitars take like 100 hours build and thats only if you have jigs and you don´t need to think about too much how to do things. 100 hours is like 8 hours per day in two weeks. My purpose is not to shoot down any dreams but to be realistic.

I'd definitely agree that 30 days is not enough time to do a decent job building your first guitar from scratch.

Maybe you could do part of it as your project and then get the rest done on your own time?

Maybe just build a bolt-on neck or build a body, or build a set of templates for both?

Not trying to be negative, but like everyone else said, there is no way you are doing it in 30 days. One of the members here builds for a full time living and he turns out a guitar in about 2 weeks. But he is working at least 8 hours a day and has been doing this for years and has every template he could need and some on the pieces pre-assembled. In school you most likely get 45 minutes to work on it. Maybe 1-1/2 hours. There are people who have joined here and built guitars for school projects, but it usually takes them anywhere from 4-6 months.

Even just learning the basic concepts and theory behind a gutiar and how it works and why things are placed where they are will take a month.

30 days is not enough to build a guitar. I don't post on here much, but I read posts almost every day. That's what you should be doing at this stage, READING. Melvyn Hiscock's book is definitly cool. Also you're going to need to invest in some tools, or know someone who's got them. Actually all that's covered in the book.

Here:

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Own-Electr...r/dp/0953104907

$23 may seem like a lot for a book, But if you're serious about building it's worth every penny.

30 days is not enough to build a guitar. I don't post on here much, but I read posts almost every day. That's what you should be doing at this stage, READING. Melvyn Hiscock's book is definitly cool. Also you're going to need to invest in some tools, or know someone who's got them. Actually all that's covered in the book.

Here:

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Own-Electr...r/dp/0953104907

$23 may seem like a lot for a book, But if you're serious about building it's worth every penny.

Thank you all for the comments i know it is short but im only doing a body cose im a newbie so i have bought the neck so taht saves a bit of time , also i dont have to treat the guitar in that 30 days and i can go in to do DT in free lessons so i get about 3 free lessons a day so if i could have some tips on how to router the cavities and the humbuckers nd the bolt on join i should be gfine i think ??

mate! Search the forum (there's a search button in the top right corner), lots of the guys on this site are great teachers (not me, I'm a newbie too) but it's a bit disrespectful to ask them to give up there time to retype all the info they've already given out on other threads when all you have to do is 5 or 10 minutes of searching to find just about everthing you could ever want to know about building a guitar.

I hardly ever ask questions cos I find that most can be answered with a quick search, there's so much greta info here. Use it.

Thank you all for the comments i know it is short but im only doing a body cose im a newbie so i have bought the neck so taht saves a bit of time , also i dont have to treat the guitar in that 30 days and i can go in to do DT in free lessons so i get about 3 free lessons a day so if i could have some tips on how to router the cavities and the humbuckers nd the bolt on join i should be gfine i think ??

What your planning is only vaguely possible in the time ... but it's going to take a lot of focus and a decent amount of research.

Click on the link below and visit the best amateur (and professional) guitar building site on the net ... it has a stack of easy to read information and tutorials that will take you through all the steps you need ... and the search function is good.

Very useful guitar building site

After you've done that you'll be in a much better position to ask some good questions ... which the folks on this site will be happy to help with.

:D

What your planning is only vaguely possible in the time ... but it's going to take a lot of focus and a decent amount of research.

Click on the link below and visit the best amateur (and professional) guitar building site on the net ... it has a stack of easy to read information and tutorials that will take you through all the steps you need ... and the search function is good.

Very useful guitar building site

After you've done that you'll be in a much better position to ask some good questions ... which the folks on this site will be happy to help with.

:D

Thank you for teh help i will search the site for help fro now on thank you very much

Grounding is what electricity wants to do. So in every application, in order to get electricity to work in your way, you'll need to eventually reward it with ground. In this case, the bridge is going to be your ground (or the trem claw, if you're using a floyd rose). What you need to do is make sure that the exposed metal is touching the exposed metal on the bridge. If you're using a tremclaw as your ground, then you need to solder the ground wire to the trem claw.

Some pickups don't require grounding (EMG actives, etc.)

Grounding is what electricity wants to do. So in every application, in order to get electricity to work in your way, you'll need to eventually reward it with ground. In this case, the bridge is going to be your ground (or the trem claw, if you're using a floyd rose). What you need to do is make sure that the exposed metal is touching the exposed metal on the bridge. If you're using a tremclaw as your ground, then you need to solder the ground wire to the trem claw.

Some pickups don't require grounding (EMG actives, etc.)

What about a tune o matic ?

you need to drill a hole from the bridge stud hole to the control cavity so you can attach a ground wire

ok churz but how do i shove the cable in there and the pin ?

there are so many little things like this that require some time to logic through, i wouldnt try and build this for that time limit; it took me nearly a year to finish my first guitar.

as far as getting the wire in there... i would feed the wire through the hole into the hole for the stud, solder it out of the body, then put the stud in while feeding the extra wire back into the cavity.