The Cool Wood Thread

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Birdseye Burl top, Black Limba top, Black Limba body blank (looks much cooler in person!), and a Birdseye Maple body blank!

I tweaked it a little...this might be a little closer to real life?

A1.jpg

And really awesome koa, Daniel!

Edited by Rick500

100_0375.jpg

And can anyone ID these for me? I got them in a box of cutoffs. They're really dense and heavy. They're a little darker brown than pictured. The grain is really tight, so it sands/polishes up to a pretty nice sheen.

Looks like Morado (Pau Ferro) ... I use it a lot for fretboards

No...cocobolo is a Mexican rosewood, family of the Dalbergia. Both are beautiful, though!

I think he quoted the wrong post...this one

Guess I should show this lovely piece of Siam Rosewood off here!

I think this is what he meant...at least that is the only thing I can think of.

WOO! Glad somene knew what i was talking about! How i quoted the wrong one, I dont know. Yes, i meant to quote the Siam Rosewood one. Is it cocobolo?

No...cocobolo is a Mexican rosewood, family of the Dalbergia. Both are beautiful, though!

I think he quoted the wrong post...this one

Guess I should show this lovely piece of Siam Rosewood off here!

I think this is what he meant...at least that is the only thing I can think of.

WOO! Glad somene knew what i was talking about! How i quoted the wrong one, I dont know. Yes, i meant to quote the Siam Rosewood one. Is it cocobolo?

No Cocobolo is Dalbergia Retusa where as Siam Rosewood is Dalbergia Cochinchinensis.

As for B&W Ebony what'd'ya think about my 8 string project soon to be fretboard . . .

bw-fretboard.jpg

and the body . . . Figured Afzelia Xylocarpa (rare stuff)

figured-afzelia1.jpg

figured-afzelia2.jpg

:D

Nice B&W Ebony guys. I wonder why no one ever uses the stuff. Maybe it's just the rarity of it. Believe it or not, I have a local source for the stuff.

-Dave

Well . . .. rarity is one of the problems (I live in virtually the only country in the world it is naturally sourced - check where all the timber merchants list as the source of the timber) but also is it's liability for cracking on the black grain. My timber merchant has blocks big enough to do a solid body blank . . . as much as I love the stuff this would be an overkill! :D Sure a B&W top would be great but not a solid body.

Also one thing to note Mun Ebony and Black & White Ebony are different trees - but the timber is easily confused. Mun ebony often has a green tinge to the 'white' wood and also the grain pattern isn't as defined.

Combined with the rarity the other important point is cost - it's costly here let alone the shipping and tax added by oversea merchants.

Not as awesome as the Ebony, or Cocobolo or anything...but here's the veneer I just bought for my next project

1/42" White Ash Burl

2adf_1.JPG

Some nice looking grain - 1/42"(!) how on earth do they cut it this thin? That's less than half a mm!

I have no idea how they cut it that thin. If you look closely, you can see the figure in it, the picture isn't the best. Im going to stain and tung oil this one with as Little sanding as possible, because I know it won't take much to sand through it.

• 1 month later...

Just bought this qld walnut veneer on ebay. Looking at the first and last pictures, it looks like either a human torso, or a goat. :-)

I'm thinking of flipping the pieces (so the edges become the centre, and the centre the edges) and see how those "shoulders" fit as horns on a double cut. I'll have to wait until it arrives.

I'm also considering just framing as is - it's quite an interesting natural artwork.

Brian.

Saw this thread the other day so i thought i would add a pic up of a great piece of burmese teak i picked up. This thing "gongs" when tapped, its amazing!

RIMG0061a.jpg

RIMG0063a.jpg

Not sure exactly what i want to do with it yet. It's 175x25x2100mm so it's good for two carved tops or i was originally gonna make another semi hollow out of it. I have a nice piece of tassie blackwood i might use for a body with this and some Makore i could use for another body so it might go into two tops.

Chad. :D

Chad,

You do know that teak has a very high oil content (it doesn't last 100 year underwater for no reason!) is very difficult to join due to this.

Over here it costs less than $20 per 1m of 10cm x 10cm. Carvings and furniture definately . . . as for guitars there is a reason why there ain't teak guitars everywhere! :D

BILD1870a.jpgBILD1870b.jpg

Two pieces I cut off of a plum root, might be the most beautiful wood I have seen yet (not counting pictures). 10x36 cm (10mm and 6mm thick) each, I'm thinking about cutting another two pieces and IF I manage to dry them without cracks (which I doubt) I could join them to something like this

BILD1871.jpg

or I could just make a bunch of headstock veneers from them

Edited by SD83