Can-opener

Corvus whaaaaat? lol

Someone brought one of these in about a month ago. Black Pickguard, single hum, cream colored body. It was pretty sweet, except that it was ass ugly and a pain to play sitting down :D It sounded okay though.

Good luck on this one!

and you didnt get us pics and clips!!!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corvus whaaaaat? lol

Someone brought one of these in about a month ago. Black Pickguard, single hum, cream colored body. It was pretty sweet, except that it was ass ugly and a pain to play sitting down :D It sounded okay though.

Good luck on this one!

+1

No Pics == FAIL

He was obviously an asylum escapee.... now no one is safe.

• 1 month later...

i quite like the look of that colour - what is the hardware and pickguard choices? that blue screams chrome and a white plate to me, maybe with black pickups and knobs, maybe not

That's exactly what it'll be. White 3-ply p/g, chrome TOM, chrome Steinberger tuners, and white knobs. The pups have white covers, but if I found some blue ones that matched later on, it's an easy swap.

wip41.jpg

All of the construction is done. Now I'm on to the first stages of dyeing it blue.

That shade is great. I dressed it with my eyes and its going to look amazing! The inlays are looking mighty nice too.

When I built that sorta-can-opener looking one, I thinned out the body where the tuners came thru . Down to headstock-thickness. It allowed me to use regular tuners with no issues. I know you have the Steinberger tuners already, just a thought for future reference.

Lookin forward to the glorious Corvus you finish . :D

When I built that sorta-can-opener looking one, I thinned out the body where the tuners came thru . Down to headstock-thickness. It allowed me to use regular tuners with no issues.

think you will find he has already taken it down to headstock thickness for the steiny tuners - the main problem with normal tuners is the low E tuner button which gets hard to tune

works on a bc rich 10 string with only 4 tuners in the cutaway but no way to get 6 on a corvus without changing the shape or accepting the low E will be hard to tune

4193379_2416118_trimmed.jpg

even so, given the shape and the era the corvus was designed i still insist they fully intended it to be headless and chickened out for some reason at the last moment

• 5 months later...

I finally routed out the cavity for the Peavey ferrite singles. What a P.I.T.A.... doing it after the f/b is on. To make it easier on myself, I just went with a bathtub route.

wip43.jpg

wip44.jpg

The finish has been fighting back too. After dyeing it and putting on a few coats of vynil sealer, it didn't want to level out right. Now the blue tinted w/b lacquer isn't being agreeable with me. It's all nothing I can't handle, but I'm just not having an easy time of it.

• 4 weeks later...

So........ I let the blue finish cure for a few weeks, then went to level it today. BAM!!!!! Crap-load of sand-through and a ton of uneven-ness on the edges. Half a can of w/b lacquer down teh drain, along with the vynil sealer and w/b lacquer that was on it before.

At this point, I'm seriously considering paying someone to finish & buff it for me.

Chill man. If need be, then get some Rustins plastic coating & put on about 12 coats over a few days. Let it sit for a month then level it & buff the living hell outa it.

Tint the first few coats blue.

But dont let it beat you man, KICK ITS ASS !!!

• 2 months later...

I've let the beast sit since the beginning of July so I can really think things over properly. I decided to sand it down to (almost) bare wood and start over. Since I'm still going to dye it blue I'm not bothering to get every last bit off, but I'm still taking as much off as I can. I'll be re-dyeing it and then wiping on a couple of coats of thinned-down blue lacquer. It'll be buffed out with steel wool for a matte finish.

I looked into having a body shop spray it for me, but nobody would take it. There was a hail storm this Summer and they're all booked up with insurance repairs.