Can-opener

It all started in this thread...

And now I've made the decision - it's going to be a can opener.

corvus1.jpg

corvus2.jpg

wip01.jpg

wip02.jpg

I'll be spending some serious time tweaking the pine template until I have it feeling & looking good. I haven't decided on the wood yet. It all kinda depends on what I have on hand. The leaders at this point seem to be goncalo alves, mahogany, maple, or walnut. Since it's going to be painted orange, I'm not fond of using goncalo alves or walnut. Maybe I'll layer up some wood. I have some poplar, maple, and mahogany I could glue together. Maybe a poplar/jatoba sandwich.

If you build the Canopener ... I mean Corvus I am going to taunt your build thread... :D

Bring it on! :D

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!!!!

So...voted as one of the worst examples of design and a complete flop in the market place...you are going to resurrect it? WHY!

Honestly, it was a shocker to play and pointless in intent. I could go on about the many bad things about it from just a practical purpose, but unless you sharpen up that back edge, it's no good even as a can opener.

Oh...and on that...since this was designed, they have these nifty ring pull cans now that make the whole thing obsolete anyway...if building it as some sick joke, I insist you add this "innovation" the back cavity cover!

pete

PS...if painting it orange, make sure it is safety orange so that people will know to keep well away!

hehehe...OHHHH, THE HORROR!!!

Have you not considered the many design flaws in this thing...like the way it is supposed to hang from a strap, or the supposedly compact design yes the elongated head...sheeeeesh! Quick, put some tape around it....it's a crime scene!

If you are short of ideas...you might want to investigate the mythical missing "moderne" series electric...the well known ones being the "V" the "Explorer" and the prototyped and reissued "moderne" (some of which seems to have influenced this "thing")..the missing one being the "lightning bolt"

The lightning bolt has an interesting and amusing story...Rick whatshisname from cheap trick got one apparently in some scam...

Basically it is a V but with one half literally reversed into a kind of Z kind of shape...if you can imagine that...build it! But please, no Corvus!

pete

hehehe...OHHHH, THE HORROR!!!

Have you not considered the many design flaws in this thing...like the way it is supposed to hang from a strap, or the supposedly compact design yes the elongated head...sheeeeesh! Quick, put some tape around it....it's a crime scene!

Stop sitting on the fence pete ... tell john whether you like his idea or not!?!?

:D

Stop sitting on the fence pete ... tell john whether you like his idea or not!?!?

STOP...right now John, think about what you are doing...have you considered what your children will find after you're gone....is reviving the Corvus really something you what them to have to live with...OH THE SHAME...OHHHH, THE HUMANITY... have you know shame!

At least if it is orange, it can be used as a safety cone in the street...except that the design wont stand up on it's own...damn the design has nothing going for it does it now!

pete

Doing a bit of a calculation...if the strings cost say $10...if you string up a DIY corvus, I'd say you might have something valued at $5 tops...maybe, less a disposal fee!

It reminds me of a monty python sketch...john cleese passes an antique shop every day, and in the window is a little china figurine of a boy and his dog or something....eventually he can't help himself...he goes in and asks how much, they say 30 pounds and he buys it politely...then immediately breaks it over the counter...then points to another object of interest. Only with prolonged exposure would someone want this, and only because it's winter over there and firewood is probably in high demand.

(Just in case, I should point out that I have seen and tried a corvus once...in the back of the music swap shop, hiding. I couldn't believe it when I saw it...but you know it was going cheap and unloved...and I suspect that 20 years later, it may well still be in there...writing that i now realize I'm cheap and unloved also...Which Only Proves My Point!)

I remembered the shape from when I started playing in 1987. I always thought it looked silly, but a great kind of silly. Like blue countertop formica as a drop top. :D I didn't know it was a reward on Guitar Hero until I started looking for reference shots.

I looked at the Moderne, but decided it was crap.

Right... the Moderne is crap but the Corvus is great. :D

Since the shape is.... out there, I definitely didn't want an ordinary color. If I could find some kind of holo-flash sparkly color rattle can locally without spending more than $5/can, I'd probably go for it.

I was actually wondering about the balance. I'm hoping that there's enough meat on the bottom end to help it balance out. I honestly can't imagine Gibson putting it our there if it didn't at least balance out.

I was actually wondering about the balance. I'm hoping that there's enough meat on the bottom end to help it balance out. I honestly can't imagine Gibson putting it our there if it didn't at least balance out.

We're talking about the same company that marketed the Firebird, Thunderbird, and SG right?

We're talking about the same company that marketed the Firebird, Thunderbird, and SG right?

:D

OK, you win that round. Although I owned an SG years back, and I never had a problem with balance.

wip03.jpg

Ohhhh, baby! I'm excited about this one. I'm figuring on an AANJ (my first). I'm not liking the original treble horn ares too much. It feels like it should have SOME amount of swoop towards the front, but it just doesn't. Good thing I'm leaving that bit for last. I gotta wrap my head around it a little more.

I looked at the Moderne, but decided it was crap.

Right... the Moderne is crap but the Corvus is great. :D

Even Gibson looked at the moderne and thought it was crap...later they made it and the market said it was crap...so they made this one...a poor man's moderne, and lo...It Was Crap!

That looks like a fantastic droop headed maple neck you got there...what a nice explorer you could make from it!

Clearly your not going vintage correct on this one...I see you left a bit of the blank still on there so you could photo it on the stand (maybe that's your shape right there, a Devo "potato guitar" tribute)...in fact on the original blank I can see you had your doubts and even as you were drawing it your subconscious added a lower horn...admit it, you are having your doubts, something in your mind is saying...this is wrong!

I posted "life sucks, prove me wrong"....eric says "life is 50% what you make of it, 50% how you deal with things out of your control"....and you answer with THIS!

I have such a negative attitude at the moment and you are only making it worse...but even in this state I seek a resolution...so see it I can't convince you to make the best or your affliction and help you through your inner demons and live with what you are doing, and me with what I clearly can't control (like eric says!).

As your clearly having balance problems, your looking at a head long dive towards the floor...and you refuse to take professional advice and turn this thing around before it's too late. I will make a suggestion that might help you save face, ok!

In the can opener lower pointless cutaway, add 3 tuners and string backwards making a 9 string guitar with doubled g,b and e strings. 12 string jangle with six string bass note definition. The rear tuners will add weight to the back end and at least give the impression that the back end cutaway was there for some reason.

Then when people see it, you can claim you thought it was a good idea at the time...that you didn't want to waste wood on such an experiment...that you were wrong, but it will be better next time...that you were going for a job in difficult economic times and that you thought a traffic cone guitar would give you the edge when applying for the stop/slow lollypop sign guy's position at the road works...that you thought that such guitars were the work of the devil so you tried to purify the concept with a heavenly sound and by cutting of it's horns...that you thought that if you painted it reflective orange sparkle that people wouldn't notice the shape...that this whole thing was the product of some mix up in medication...that bad guitar design at gibson is a recognized disease and that this was a tribute to the afflicted...that you now realize that global warming is real, look see, my guitar turned orange and melted....

I can see that my words are only encouraging you...but you must realize your doing a bad, bad thing here and hiding it from your loved ones is going to be tricky for many years to come! Formica drop top...now there's a good idea...cause when you are cutting stuff on it, the juices will run off into the sink, neato! But nothing will save you from the abomination you are creating here...next you'll be making a collection of bad failed gibson copies and having to hire a warehouse to put keep them....what's next the RD and you'll be trying to replicate the failed Moog electronics in the things.

pete

Seriously ... . . . ***? I told you not to build it.

Go and tell your master that we have been charged by God with a sacred quest. If he will give us food and shelter for the night, he can join us in our quest for the Holy Corvus.

Well, I'll ask him, but I don't think he will be very keen. Uh, he's already got one, you see.

What?

He said they've already got one!

Are you sure he's got one?

Oh yes, it's very nice!

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

Seriously funny stuff there, Pete.

Serious nothing...if you hack that body blank into anything remotely resembling a corvus, I will have to attempt to hack into the spam filter so that such things don't corrupt the younger members here!

Did I type Corvus...I meant to type ****us...ah, that's better...the spam filter is already starting to recognize this devils work...

pete

PS...since we seem both to be otherwise "disengaged"...perhaps the two of us could start a company, call it Nosbig and make some decent new designs.