Bridge Alignment Issues. Thoughts?

Hi all... A little history here. Bought this existing body, it's a san dimas style. I bought the neck off ebay. I've ensured that the scale is correct. Here are my issues.

1) I screwd up the alignment with the bridge posts. They are uneven. One is forward from the other.

2) There is no room to pull up on the bridge (wammy goes down only - cant pull up more than a 1/16" inch or so)

3) I want to move the posts back

Here are two pictures the picture of the bad alignment. Yes, I screwed up. I knew better, I eyeballed it rather than taking an accurate measurements or using a jig to ensure that I was perfectly lined up between the two posts....

Uneven%20Bridge%20Alignment.jpg

Here you can see how the alignment is screwed up here as well as how I have no room for the block to move.

Uneven%20Bridge%20Block.jpg

Here you can see how far back my saddles are for intonation. The low E string is as far back as I could set it. Not good I would suspect.

Bridge%20Intonation%20Settings.jpg

Here, you can see under the bridge how much room I have left to move the bridge back. My thought is that I could move it back about 1/4" and still maintain scale with the saddles. This would move the bridge block further away from the body and allow more room to pull up on the trem.

Room%20to%20move%20bridge%20back.jpg

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Edited by RickBlacker

If the rest of the cavity is on target, then i'd say go ahead and fill the post holes with a dowel and drill new ones. If the alignment is off on the entire route, then i'm just going to wait for someone else to answer, because I don't have experience with correcting larger mistakes.

Do you have a router and some experience using it?

Are the tremolo studs wood screws or machined screws going into metal inserts?

PS, don't be so hard on yourself, we all do the fubar shuffle occasionally. :D

The trem studs are metal posts, metal screws in the posts.

Yep have a rounter and know how to use it. In fact, had to repair the neck pocket... Thought I could get cocky with my dremil using a straight bit with no guide. Well... That turned out to be a mistake. Ended having to glue in some scabs of maple and re-route... See pic, note however that those are NOT glued in. They're just sitting there.

fix1.jpg

NOW... To add another boo boo... My router straight bit cutter slipped while routing (didn't notice) and look at what I got to fix next.

afer_route2.jpg

Now the amazing thing... After all this neck work, the neck is PERFECTLY aligned... Couldn't believe how straight it ended up.

From the look of it ... dowelling the left post and taking it back a mm or so will align the trem and help your intonation issues.

That will also give you a little more clearance from the block.

But from your description and pictures, I'd have thought you'd be having trouble pushing the trem down, not pulling it up? Can you see what it is hitting? The block seems close to okay ... is it the section under the whammy bar itself?

:D Firewood. B)

No man no... NOT firewood. I will fix it.

It's a great player right now. In fact, I'd have to say that I enjoy playing it "as is" more than my Jackson DINKY. :D

I was just kidding... Tremolo mess ups are the hardest to fix. Worst case scenario you could put a block in and reroute the whole tremolo cavity...

From the look of it ... dowelling the left post and taking it back a mm or so will align the trem and help your intonation issues.

That will also give you a little more clearance from the block.

Well, that's part of it. I also want to move the entire bridge back a little. It's sitting too far forward and if you look at the saddles, they are sitting all the way back on the second screw hole.

But from your description and pictures, I'd have thought you'd be having trouble pushing the trem down, not pulling it up? Can you see what it is hitting? The block seems close to okay ... is it the section under the whammy bar itself?

Nope, I think you're looking at it backwards. If I pull up, i have about 1/16 of space between block and body.

:D Firewood. B)

No man no... NOT firewood. I will fix it.

It's a great player right now. In fact, I'd have to say that I enjoy playing it "as is" more than my Jackson DINKY. :D

I was just kidding... Tremolo mess ups are the hardest to fix. Worst case scenario you could put a block in and reroute the whole tremolo cavity...

I know you were joking.... B)

I don't think it will come to completely filling in the cavity and starting over. I think by moving the entire bridge back a bit will help. I have the Ibanez Edge maunal (pdf file). It shows the dimensions for the cavity. I'll see just how close it is to what the body is now.

Anway... Spending the day today taking it back apart and fixing things.