The Dragon

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what will/ do you use on the neck so that your hand doesn't stick?

Nothing. The matte finish is quite satiny to the touch.

wip140.jpg

I painted the shielding foil black so it wouldn't stand out so much through the f-hole.

wip141.jpg

wip142.jpg

wip143.jpg

wip144.jpg

It's finally starting to look like a guitar. Today I'm going to start fussing with the wiring.

GOSH DANG I HATE DOING THE WIRING!!!!!!

I finally got some noise to come out of it, all the pups right on the switch, and the damn thing buzzes when I touch metal. I've been at it for about 5 hours now. This shite happens every single time I pick up a soldering iron. I'm ready to just take every single one I do to a local shop and have them do it.

Edited by avengers63

wiring isnt that hard at all? maybe something is wired backwards or... not grounded? who knows. but all i know is it looks freaking amazing. hey after you take it to 4000 leveling what do you use to polish that grit into a high gloss finish?

could you PLEASE do a tutorial? mine came out great but not that great. (i still have more coats to do) if not link me to a tutorial you have already maybe?

:D

Great work as always

I can't tell from the picture but I'll ask the obvious question . . . have you ground the wiring to the T-o-M studs?

Yep.

I was on the phone with a local tech. He suggested that if it only buzzes when I touch metal but everything else works right, then there's most likely an issue with the ground to the bridge. I'll have to do some testing on it tomorrow.

The best thing I can recommend is get a multimeter set it in the buzz out mode then touch one probe on a ground wire inside and then touch the other probe on any string or the bridge (anywhere!) and it should buzz. If it don't you know the bridge ground ain't good - they can be a bit of a bitch to get a good connect on the t-o-m studs - lots of heat required.

Essentially as soon as you touch any part of the strings/bridge/metal bits - the guitar should be silent as you complete the ground link. :D

A multimeter is your best friend in these situations!

Oh forgot say the final article looks great - although for me I really aren't keen on the 12th fret inlay or colour of the inlay - a nice crisp and clean MOP inlay would of been my choice . . but hey it ain't my guitar! :D

You nailed it Joe. The body horns were originally patterned after an SG, but lengthened and pointed out to be more like dragon horns, but still have a 335-ish feel. For the headstock, I had the original shape to contend with while trying to make it mimic the body. The more I finessed it into shape, the more a top view of a dragon's head came to life.

SJE - Thanks. My meter is an analog needle with no sound effects, but I'll see what i can find out.

Oh forgot say the final article looks great - although for me I really aren't keen on the 12th fret inlay or colour of the inlay - a nice crisp and clean MOP inlay would of been my choice . . but hey it ain't my guitar! :D

Agreed, both counts. MOP would have tied in nicely. I think a good polishing and some choice daylight photos are in this guitars immediate future.

Thanks for the kind words. I was honestly anticipating the bloodwood inlays polishing up a lot brighter than they did.

i took it to a local shop tech who concluded that in order to find where the buzz is, I need to dismantle the whole thing and start the wiring from scratch, one piece at a time. Did I mention that I REALLY don't like doing the wiring?

Excelllllent!!!!