Drak 'prairie Dust'

First shot.

Most Camphor Burl you buy (that I buy anyway) is freshcut and green, and needs to cure out for a few years.

I had it resawn several years ago, and it cupped and warped quite badly over the past few years, so I had to flatten it out for starters.

I SOAK it with water, then clamp it for a few days.

CAMPHORCEDAR001.jpg

CAMPHORCEDAR002.jpg

CAMPHORCEDAR003.jpg

CAMPHORCEDAR004.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First shot.

Most Camphor Burl you buy (that I buy anyway) is freshcut and green, and needs to cure out for a few years.

I had it resawn several years ago, and it cupped and warped quite badly over the past few years, so I had to flatten it out for starters.

I SOAK it with water, then clamp it for a few days.

SO would it be better to leave some air space? maybe using some 1x2 runners instead of a solid board.

Just asking I am going to be facing a similar situation with some of my tops shortly.

Maybe we should place bets on how flat it will get :D

SO would it be better to leave some air space? maybe using some 1x2 runners instead of a solid board.

Just asking I am going to be facing a similar situation with some of my tops shortly.

You can do as you see fit, there's always more than one way to skin the cat, but this way works fine for me, that's why I posted it. The top is already flat, booked, & glued up, just haven't gotten to getting you caught up with me yet. :D

Maybe we should place bets on how flat it will get

Do you think I would post something that doesn't or didn't work (see above)?

The reason I'm posting it is to show you how to do it knucklehead. :D

I think that since you've come back, you've started 5 or 6 guitars.

Now, I totally get the giddy excitement of having an idea and starting a new project,

but are you going to return to work on any of them?

My average for a guitar is about 1 year, and I'm comfortable with that,

I'm in no rush to finish anything, and I have a time period pattern down

that works with the seasons, with my time schedule, and with my relaxation level. B)

Funny you mention the word giddy exitement, because it's really exactly the opposite,

it's a completely relaxed approach with no time schedule, and no expectations, just enjoyment of the process itself.

I'm in awe at the wood. The eyes flow in a circle around the main bout, then up into the horns. The surrounding grain flows in a circle around the perimeter of the body, framing it all. At the top, there's even a V directing your eye to the horns.

Gawd dang but that's a beautiful composition.

Thanks for the nice words Wez! :D

Actually John, let me explain in more detail...

They're all getting pretty close to finishing stage.

I let the earlier ones slow down, and get the newer ones caught up to them,

so they all go into finishing at about the same time, and those will be the 'batch' for the year.

I actually was getting ready to post some updates on 2 of the others,

as I just bleached them this weekend in prep for the dying process coming up very soon.

Thanks for the nice words! (and your dragon inlay rocks as well :D )

And actually, I screwed up the book by about 1/4", but oh well...

The reason I'm posting it is to show you how to do it knucklehead. :D

But you forgot the picture right after it came out of the press, Drak Ole buddy Ole pal, LOL :D

Hey as long as you can glue it together and to the body dosnt matter if it has a bit of wiggle, right. Looking good, what color will it be?

My average for a guitar is about 1 year, and I'm comfortable with that,

I'm in no rush to finish anything, and I have a time period pattern down

that works with the seasons, with my time schedule, and with my relaxation level. :D

Don't like to glue up in the winter cause I have to move the pieces from the sop to the house and that causes bad things....

I don't like to finish guitars in the winter because they take forever to dry and do funny things.

So I am trying to finish the 5 guitars I am working on in the summer when the paint and oil dry faster....

What is your season for finishing?

But you forgot the picture right after it came out of the press, Drak Ole buddy Ole pal, LOL peace.gif

True Dat. :D

What is your season for finishing?

Usually late summer into the Fall.

OK, for those chambering champs out there, I usually seal the interior of the chambered body before glue-up.

I don't always do it, but with any wood that is soft and/or unstable, I do.

Or if I've chambered deeply so the rear is 3/16" or less, I do it.

I didn't do it on the Maple bodies, but I did it here and I did another body (Cherry) since I had everything out and ready to go for the Spanish Cedar.

I usually use Titebond thinned considerably for the task. Real thin. It's to do no more than just stop up the pores, that's it.

CAMPHORCEDAR013.jpg

CAMPHORCEDAR014.jpg

CAMPHORCEDAR015.jpg

CAMPHORCEDAR017.jpg

I see a clown's face in the Burl

A Clown???? HUH

I dont see it, hows about a pig, LOL I may have failed a Rorschach test so...........

I usually use Titebond thinned considerably for the task

Interesting sealing with Titebond, I would have generally headed for the shellac can due to all the moisture in a thinned titebond. As long as it works.

If I recall correctly, tite-bond breaks down with direct air exposure... that's why when doing cloth side tapes on an acoustic you have to then seal them with shellac so the glue doesn't break down rendering the tapes useless. You may not really be sealing it so much?

Chris

Chris, I have used several things to seal the interior, from a quick shellac washcoat brushed on (from the Benedetto videos) to a quick shot of lacquer sprayed on to thinned Titebond.

I got the idea for the Titebond sealer from doing veneer work, but I never knew about it breaking down like you described.

I knew all I was trying to do was to seal both sides equally to prevent uneven moisture absorption and possible warping as a result, but I will forego the use of thinned Titebond from now on and use shellac instead.

You may be correct, but I would imagine it probably takes a long time for Titebond to actually break down and disintegrate to the point where the pores are once again open, but I won't use it again, it's easy enough to use something else.

Thanks! :D

Woodenspoke, I can (and do) appreciate the humor, but please do not screw up my topic with that kind of nonsense.

I actually would appreciate it if you removed the pic, the post itself I have no problem with. :D

CAMPHORCEDAR023.jpg

The optical delusion makes it look arched from the side view, unusual!

I see a clown's face in the Burl

A Clown???? HUH

I dont see it, hows about a pig, LOL I may have failed a Rorschach test so...........

Look below the pig nose. There's the smile! Its a friendly clown! Plus if you use your imagination, its giving jazz hands :D Its hat is above the eyes, and it goes off in two directions.