official carrieburst thread

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I am officially entering.

I have a design and my fiddleback maple for the top.I have this beautiful dark wood a friend gave me,but I don`t know what it is.It weighs A TON!!!!!!I know we have a year,I will search for the time.I have a baby on the way and I am in the middle of building an amplifier but I will try my best.

OK! B)

It's Jan. 3rd.

I've got the Maple.

I've got the Mahogony.

I just finalized and finished the plans an hour ago. Done.

This will a very different type of guitar than I've built in the past.

Which is what I wanted to do in the first place, use the competition to push myself past my normal 'Oh, guess I'll just do another Tele' limits.

...and you?

Everybody armed yet?

You`re going to finally do that archtop,aren`t you? :D

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moved this over to the Finishing section since well thats what it is all about :D

Prize's will be as follows and both determined by a vote in the poll's (as usual)

Best Completed to die for and drool looking wins Guitar of the Month for Jan 2005 and a free custom pickup.

Best Tutorial on how the finish was done gets a pair of custom pickups.

If any other companys decide to donate to the contest I'll be sure to post it here!

I am officially entering.

I have a design and my fiddleback maple for the top.I have this beautiful dark wood a friend gave me,but I don`t know what it is.It weighs A TON!!!!!!I know we have a year,I will search for the time.I have a baby on the way and I am in the middle of building an amplifier but I will try my best.

I got a baby comin too. When are you & your wife due? We are due July 30th.

hey how bout some pics of that darl wood...

I'll be counted in I guess. Although my project is going to be a complete refinish from old beat-up TV yellow to Carriburst. I'm making it in just under the wire I guess since Jan. 8 is almost over.

OK, it's official, the Carriburst entry time is now over, the participants are an even dozen.

Cool....I actually didn't expect so many!

I hope everyone makes it to Jan. '05 with a Carriburst and a tutorial in tow, I'd love to see a dozen of 'em all at once, it's gonna be a colorful January! :D

Yeah, I'm going to burst one of them. I'm planning on getting 4 tops out of it since it's 2-1/8" thick. I'll have plenty to use natural.

I looked at the 14" saws but the 18" jet (about $1000) goes to 10-1/4" without a riser. The 14" is just about the same price with the add on.

I know someone is going to post a link to harbor freight now with a 14 or 18" for $500! :D

westhemann Posted on Jan 11 2004, 09:22 PM

that's maple?i figured it was redwood

Good old USofA type maple. It looks nice and red, that's one of the reasons I bought it. I know buzzsaw usually wets his wood for pic's (most people do) but it didn't say anything in the ad about it. I'm sure it was wet. That will look nice with a clear on it.

I got my Carri-Maple from Buzzsaw too.

He does sell nice stuff, this is my 3rd purchase from him, very happy.

He's not quite up there with the 'best of the best of the best', but it is nice stuff if you wait for the right piece.

I got that piece in that I posted a picture of in the old carriburst thread, right before it shut down, (right after the hooter-girls) and that piece is really pro-luthier wood, and you can see the difference between that wood and Buzzsaw-wood. Not knocking Buzzsaw any, I like his stuff a lot.

That wood is a perfect AAAAA quilt, not because it has great quilt, I mean, it does, (some of buzzsaw's has better, btw) but the wood really meets the criteria for AAAAA which is kinda rare. That term gets abused a lot. The wood is 100% perfectly white Maple, no splits, checks, cracks, imperfections, weirdness in figure, tiny black spots, or anything like that, it is a perfect piece of booked Maple, with very evenly spaced quilt figure, whereas Buzzsaw's pieces have lots of odd-ball things about them, the figuring is uneven a lot, but most of the time I prefer oddball anyway. Buzzsaw's stuff has a lot of 'character' to it, I like that, and he's a nice guy too.