Freaky Green Satriani

I love it great job, must have been tricky on all those contours

you know what would look hot...some lipstick humbuckers

yhst-50206111187217_2084_7249247.jpg

no idea what they sound like though

Hmmmm. thats not a bad idea. Even if the chrome is very pronounced, it at least will look a bit different. Anybody know how these things stack up tone wise ? they have to have some life. dull, flat uninteresting voicing is an absolute NO for me.

• 3 months later...
Beautiful body work Paulie :D

Thanks Muzz. I luv carving these JS style things. Has to be my fave body shape out there. Have another one starting later this wee, whole thing carved from one chunk of sapele (except the fret board) Neck & body as one chunk. I might take some piks & put it up. wotcha rekon ?

Beautiful body work Paulie :D

Thanks Muzz. I luv carving these JS style things. Has to be my fave body shape out there. Have another one starting later this wee, whole thing carved from one chunk of sapele (except the fret board) Neck & body as one chunk. I might take some piks & put it up. wotcha rekon ?

Please.

SR

Looking great. I really like the fabric finish on this one.

As for pickups, I'm feeling a set of zebras in black pickup rings. The chrome isn't bad, but a little loud against the more natural/pastel colors.

Tried a set, Got lost in the mix, didnt have enough presence to make the look work. The chrome is bright but the zebras just faded into the background. So big shiney chrome jobbies are goin in.

Scott. I will record & post the build on the one piece. Hey even one person interested is worth a look :D

Scott. I will record & post the build on the one piece. Hey even one person interested is worth a look B)

Great! I love your work.

Speaking of which it's been a while since we've seen anything of the rising sun.

SR

Yea. That one is killin me. The black aliline faded a little after about 2 days, so I held off on the oil finish for it to see how it went. Completly gone at this stage, absolutly no black to be seen :D .

I think i will be knocking the Stewie mac colour tone stuff on the head after this. Thats a blue, red & green guitar that faded. And now a black thats totally vanished. :D

I have some Behline black aniline on the way to get back on track. be up and running again within 2 weeks. B)

Count me in on the interested party party . Your work is awesome ! I've got an off hand trick to dye wood black that works like a charm. PM if interested.....

and yes - PICS of the one piecer !!

Its ok. I have some Black aniline on the way from behlin. realy good stuff.

Picked up the sapele for the other JS today. 18x2.25 inch 15 foot long. Should have enough in that i rekon :D

The matching JEM for this freaky green JS is started aswell. Body almost ready for the fabric

This thing turned out amazing! I want to do a Satch at some point in the future, but I want to attempt a chrome finish...

Not to hijack the thread, but I just started a thread for a guitar I will be doing a similar finish on. Ill be using an image as opposed to fabric, but I was wondering if it might not be a viable option to print my images on canvas, though it might effect the image quality slightly. Do you have any experience with something like that? Its a strat shape body with fairly large round overs over which I want the image to conform smoothly. There is probably a better material that can be printed on that works well for this kind of thing, but im kind of a rookie.

This thing turned out amazing! I want to do a Satch at some point in the future, but I want to attempt a chrome finish...

Not to hijack the thread, but I just started a thread for a guitar I will be doing a similar finish on. Ill be using an image as opposed to fabric, but I was wondering if it might not be a viable option to print my images on canvas, though it might effect the image quality slightly. Do you have any experience with something like that? Its a strat shape body with fairly large round overs over which I want the image to conform smoothly. There is probably a better material that can be printed on that works well for this kind of thing, but im kind of a rookie.

I have tried canvas, Drove me up the wall. I found it to be very heavy & thick. It adhered well but it took an insane amount of bulking to achieve a smooth finish.

The materials Scott is talking about are very thin in comparrison to the canvas myself & most other artists use to paint onto so they will be much more suitable. They will take a print much easier & cheaper aswell.

Personally, Id prefer to use a different fabric. I have had great success with satin, acrylic & cotton. All 3 are thin & easily plyable to get into awkward curves.

You could try Vinyl, works realy well & needs very little work to get a realy good finish.

I have a chrome JS in the works aswell. total pain getting the plating done, ended up going for a nickle finish over copper over the wood. Electroplated. Ruined 4 bodies trying to get it right. the fifth one came out OK. The plater wont even try it over timber again as it was so difficult to get right :D . Next one will be carved from a block of acrylic, then plated.

I have tried canvas, Drove me up the wall. I found it to be very heavy & thick. It adhered well but it took an insane amount of bulking to achieve a smooth finish.

The materials Scott is talking about are very thin in comparrison to the canvas myself & most other artists use to paint onto so they will be much more suitable. They will take a print much easier & cheaper aswell.

Personally, Id prefer to use a different fabric. I have had great success with satin, acrylic & cotton. All 3 are thin & easily plyable to get into awkward curves.

You could try Vinyl, works realy well & needs very little work to get a realy good finish.

I have a chrome JS in the works aswell. total pain getting the plating done, ended up going for a nickle finish over copper over the wood. Electroplated. Ruined 4 bodies trying to get it right. the fifth one came out OK. The plater wont even try it over timber again as it was so difficult to get right :D . Next one will be carved from a block of acrylic, then plated.

Very helpful info. Thanks a lot. Sounds like vinyl is the way to go. We have a large format color inkjet printer at work and a couple rolls of coated canvas. I thought I could put it to use, but if its gonna cause me problems there's no point. Im sure we can print on vinyl as well, so Ill have to look into doing that instead.

If I remember correctly, Ibanez had the same issue when they were developing the "chrome boy". I believe they ended up using nickel over copper as well or something similar. Are you gonna post pics? Id love to see the process you used!

If I remember correctly, Ibanez had the same issue when they were developing the "chrome boy". I believe they ended up using nickel over copper as well or something similar. Are you gonna post pics? Id love to see the process you used!

Yea. they went the same way in the end. Chrome is too hard & splits far too easy. I have no photos of the plating process, they didnt exactly let me wander about the shop floor. Ill take a few piks of the body & throw them up.