Project "the Orca" Ms-6

• 1 month later...
What's up with the "orca" thing on the body?

Chris

It was going to be there all along. I have talked it over with several people through pm'd on how to go about it. I had first thought about burning it into the wood. But we figured it could be a hit and miss. Meaning it might look good but it might not and once it's burnt in it's there. So after that we divided to stain it in black and leave the ash natural. This looked good but I over the build decided on my own I wanted the guitar black. So I stained the guitar black leaving the orca natural. This didn't look good at all. So it then hit me, I got my chesils and carved the Orca into the body it's about a 16th" deep.

Then I stained it black to match the body. It looks great it's there but it's not like jumping out at you if you know what I mean. Un like if it was natural ash and the body is black it's suddal. Adds some texture I feel it helps the look of the overall build.

i think you need to do a little more on it because it looks rough as it is - the dye hasnt taken evenly. if the edges are sharp enough i would seal it then fill with black epoxy.... or is that the plan anyway???

very Manitoba-ish :D

I'd say Vancouver-ish no Orcas in Manitoba. LOL

i think you need to do a little more on it because it looks rough as it is - the dye hasnt taken evenly. if the edges are sharp enough i would seal it then fill with black epoxy.... or is that the plan anyway???

the dye looks uneven do to the carve and the roundness of it. Al so the flash on the camera. In person it looks great.

the dye looks uneven do to the carve and the roundness of it. Al so the flash on the camera. In person it looks great.

fair enough, is it bein filled with anything - i would worry about wear on that ash i.e. some of the walls getting broken down

I wont be filling it with epoxy it's meant to be a carving be it a negative carving not a positive like this.

dragon_wizard.jpg

Do you think this looks odd?

Mine is meant to be a carving that can be seen but doesn't jump out at you.

What looks to be un even stain isn't at all it's the light hitting the round carving. :D

I wont be filling it with epoxy it's meant to be a carving be it a negative carving not a positive like this.

dragon_wizard.jpg

What looks to be un even stain isn't at all it's the light hitting the round carving. :D

Well that ^^ looks like art. The Orca , like it sits ,looks like a rout for an inlay. To me.

but with the other oddities , the route/carve kinda fits it.

%7Boption%7D

No, I don't think that looks odd, but that's sort of apples to oranges.

There may be detail to it that I cannot see in that picture, but what I can see does sort of look like a route for an inlay.

I'm not telling you that I think you screwed up - I'm just giving my opinion.

• 1 month later...
Looks like you got the color right. It doesn't photograph well but that is what mine looked like after using lots of stain. It was gorgeous in person... camera never did it justice.

Going to look top notch when the parts are installed.

This thing looks wicked in person. The colour is perfect.

Gotta love ash, Even the plainest looking example can be carved to give realy cool grain patterns,

This thing is looking cool enough to stiffen yer nipples dave :D

Well I think it got my wife's nips hard. she love's it.

I'll be keeping this one for myself.

Proper order. Always keep one for yourself.

its a good idea to have a few floating about for examples, you know, demo models for neck profiles, finish samples etc.

I had 24 at one point for those kinds of reasons. for the benafit of the customer, not for me, i swear to god :D

its a good idea to have a few floating about for examples, you know, demo models for neck profiles, finish samples etc.

I had 24 at one point for those kinds of reasons. for the benafit of the customer, not for me, i swear to god :D

+1 to that.

my niece sent me a text asking me if i had any "spare" guitars!!! *** does that mean? what is a "spare" guitar?

+1 to that.

my niece sent me a text asking me if i had any "spare" guitars!!! *** does that mean? what is a "spare" guitar?

It means one that is broken and requires a lot of time and attention to fix. :D

+1 to that.

It means one that is broken and requires a lot of time and attention to fix. :D

Those are called sacrifices...

+1 to that.

I always have some spare guitars, I generally give them to poeple with a spare 2 or 3 grand in cash that they can give to me.