Asylum Astrocaster

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still ongoing...lol.... life has kinda got in the way over the last few months...

since my last update i've got the fretboard on, headstock thicknessed, fretboard slotted & mostly radiused (just this last week), template made for the scratchplate.

but also the kids bust my digi camera when we were in Florida last November too so I'm reluctant to do much without being able to document it (for posterity..lol), I've also had a pretty bad chest infection that needed antibiotics AND steroids to shift - this floored me for best part of a month too (rosewood dust & chest infections = :D )

also faced potential redundancy at work - that was another month of uncertainty - but I managed to survive the cut, this tho' has resulted in a greater workload at work.

I've decided also to put a veneer on the front of the headstock to match the body but I've had problems finding a matching piece. a guy I've just ordered some other veneer off has said that he thinks he has some that may match & said if he can find it he'll throw it in with my order ( :D )

I'll see if I can find my old digi cam & shoot some piccies up...

• 2 months later...

GEDC0285.jpg

All in - flush cut & bevelled.

GEDC0283.jpg

Looks like a guitar neck now!!

GEDC0282.jpg

GEDC0286.jpg

I'm glad I spent more time ensuring the fretboard was perfect before fretting. The extra time spent has paid off & my new fret-press is a dream to use - checked the frets for flatness & they seem perfect & probably won't need levelling & crowning which I'm happy with. This fretwire is that hard by the time I'd finished cutting 22 pieces & then cutting them flush to the f/b my hands were killing(!!) so I wasn't relishing the thought of having to level it too. Obviously I'll re-check it after the necks been carved but hopefully it'll be ok.

Oh, one other point - I commented earlier on how hard this Honduras rosewood was - Honduras Rosewood - like I said - hard as ebony!

• 9 months later...

a quick update.... been slow going - been really busy at work with overtime & then family issues to take care of.

the neck ready for rough carving, the '57 maple neck is being used a template/reference coz I love the profile! This is gonna get used on the next project.

GEDC0337.jpg

1st fret

GEDC0340.jpg

Heel

GEDC0341.jpg

Dots joined.

GEDC0342.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, got her strung up for a test. Decided to try the Seymour Duncan Custom. She sounds massive! The neck was a little thick & club-like so i've ripped off about 2.5mm from the back of the neck - definately better but still may need another mm off. She plays great no dead spots on the neck & only needs the action at the nut reducing by about 0.5mm at the bass side & about 0.25 mm at the treble side to be perfect.

Here's a couple of shots....

GEDC0281.jpg

GEDC0294.jpg

GEDC0282-1.jpg