Flea Market Body Blank Yields Goodness......

Here's a quick mock up now that I have the neck set and rasped mostly to shape at the heel . The bridge isn't the right one , I'm waiting on a gold TOM and stopbar setup , and I may change the knobs up to black , but :

IMG_5208.jpg

IMG_5209.jpg

IMG_5210.jpg

IMG_5212.jpg

You can still see all the rasp marks on the heel here : ^^^ and if you look at the edges in the first pic , you can see how I got away without a front or rear rout on a 1 piece Explorer while maintaining the proper swith and knob layout. :D I made little trap-doors in the edges of the guitar.

Gettin there... now LOTS of sanding to do .....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

This post is worthless without pics.... :D

I need batterlees for my camera tho.......

Shes sings a mighty sweet note . Got the action and intonation right out of the gate. The bridge volume pot is not functioning tho..... so... give and take , I guess.

I had to compromise for now - it has all gold HW , but chrome tuners. They're way up on top of the neck so its not an eyesore but as soon as fundage allows , I'll go gold.

Mahogany and Padouk make a killer combo. Great sustain and great 'spank' on the notes. My little trap-door trick worked , no front or rear rout for the pots or switch. All in all , better than I had hoped for.

:D

This came out really nice Mike. I really like way the grain in the front wood showed up. Did you have to dye it any to match the back or did you just oil it and voile!

Looks like you need to toss some weed and feed on the lawn tho' dude! :D

All joking aside, good job!

SR

Hey Jose, they keep all that kind of stuff in the mercados up in the border towns for the turistas. :D At least they did when I lived on the border. And subdued is exactly the right word. Dude your English is better than that of most of the people I know on this side of the river.

SR

Yeah, I've heard that's a pretty town. That's strange about the difficulty of finding hardwoods, when so many nice ones come from there. I''ve got Cocobolo, and Bocote that came from there and mahagony that probably did. I would love to find some Desert Ironwood for a carving. All I can find is already carved and is at the aforementioned mercados. Although the prices are pretty good so I've seriously considered buying a carving and using it for a carving.... which is kind of what Mike did with his flea market find. He says as he tries to bring this back from a 100% hijack--Sorry about that Mike.

SR

lol - no worries.

Jose - have you looked at any good shipping pallets lately ? I made a good guitar out of one and there's another on the way ( just scored a new pallet today - *giggity* )

I'm glad people are digging the Zulu , I guess even a blind squirell gets an acorn , right? :D I do feel like it's my best work yet , but I hope to get much, much better. The side routs were a fun idea , I'm glad they worked out with no blowout , but next time I'll not go all the way through -front to back , but keep it on the side only , keeping them from showing from the front or back. I grain matched the covers, but the dark dye kinda hides it. by the time you get close enough to see the grain , you can see the not-so-perfect covers I made....

and as much as I like it - no GOTM for this. ( have you SEEN the competition this month ??!? )

Scott - This is actually a re-finish. I wrecked the first one . I dyed it black , wiped it back to a nice darkish color and rubbed it to a nice shine. ( pice above sans strings ) then the can of clear I sprayed on it sputtered a big glob of a$s-ness right in the middle of it.

sweet.

I took it all off back to plain wood and then re-darkened the whole thing , then oiled it. I like the way the end grain kept the darkness and blended it into the carving.

I sliced off a leaf from the leftover carved stuff and it'll make a fine TR cover. :D

I think the animals will look stupid.

Hey... you asked.

sweet wood score though

I dunno- at first- I thought- ewwww- but then I thought- hell- I think that is exactly what makes this sweet. SHAKA ZULU!!!!

+1 on the wood score- always cool to find something and recycle it for something as sweet as a guitar.

Remember- no one has to see the back- I say leave it- when people say- nice explorer you can flip it over and say 'Shaka Zulu!"

Mr. Natural - "Shaka Zulu!", indeed.

Thanks !! :D

more pics in the build thread : http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=43011

* Props to Chops1983 for a nudge in the GOTM direction. Thanks Chad! *

Don't thank me, i reckon it deserves to be there and your foresight when you saw this thing is what has earnt this build its fans. You could be pleasently surprised at the end of the month. :D

Wow. That turned out fantastic, no joke. the intact carving on the backside really adds to the guitar and your use of the sides to give electric access is a neat idea. now that it is finished, it looks like you built an explorer and got tired with plain backed guitars and did a somewhat abstract African carving on it. Not like you found a slightly abstract African carved piece of wood and went "Hey i bet i can make that into a guitar", haha.