The Comicaster- Pine Tele With A Super Theme.

Over in this thread http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=43002 , I showed the "hows" of the poster finish thats going on this one ....

Here's what I'm up to :

Pine bodied Telecaster type build

25.5" , 22 frets . Maple neck , Rosewood board

Chrome hardware and edging ( again )

Marvel Universe graphic front and back

IMG_5082.jpg

IMG_5085.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

and......

IMG_5141.jpg

Cool!

Hope you dont drop it...

o.k. .........

:D

Why not ???? ( I don't get it )

Brian - the edging is automotive trim from the parts store. This application is a wide strip surrounded by 1/8" strips on the sides .

More pics as they happen.

Lol cuz Pine is so dang soft. How does it sound btw?

edit: Well I guess that's what the chrome edging is for!

Edited by Fowl2338

Lol cuz Pine is so dang soft. How does it sound btw?

edit: Well I guess that's what the chrome edging is for!

IDK how this one will sound yet , I did one other Pine body , but it was an explorer shape , so I imagine it'll sound a little different. I'll do sound samples when its done.

and yeppers - the edging protects it like a champ.

BTW - pine isn't really any softer than say , Basswood, , is it ? There are Pine species that are so hard you have to drill them to put a nail into the board. no kidding . not that anybody is making guitars out of it , but its still Pine of some sort.

Here's some not-so-completely-out-of-focus pictures..........

IMG_5155.jpg

IMG_5154.jpg

IMG_5152.jpg

and my attempt at humor - a "1st Edition" sticker for the back.

IMG_5153.jpg

1) I want one of those.

2) If I did one, I'd be accused of copying you, which I would be doing.

3) Yes, do put a shirt on.

4) I'll be doing the chrome edging on my next Retrotron, And I'll be accused of copying. It's wxactly what I wanted to do the first time around, but couldn't find it, so I might be able to get away with that one.

5) I bet I can name more characters than you. I've been reading Marvel non-stop since 1981.

1. You're not alone , I've got orders already ( but I don't build for profit yet )

2. If you were accused of copying , it wouldn't be from me.

3. Sorry guys - I'm in my house - not used to the guitar edge being like a mirror , but HEY- dig that fun-house version of me on the right . Wi-i-i-i-i-i-i-de.

4. See # 2. If I didn't want anyone utilizing the ideas , I wouldn't post the 'hows and whys'. The chrome-like stuff really does look pimp and protects like mad. it's not normal , but still good.

5. You win - I don't even read comics. You and my nephew ( the singer from LungBuster ) can have a name-off. First prize is braggin rights. :D

I agree though - this is a fun assembly.

I also like that you used Marvel and not DC. Stan Lee is the man.

I respectfully disagree. Stan Lee was given the job my his uncle and put his name on others work as the writer. Note that with the exception of the Silver Surfer series (which was horribly written), he didn't "write" anything without using an artist who could write as well, thus allowing him to abuse his position to hijack their work.

What Stan IS is a great huckster and salesman. He's very charismatic and a terrific face for the company.

JACK KIRBY was the man. Without Jack, we wouldn't have Marvel, period. The one positive I can say about Stan's "work" on the books he did with Jack is he gave them some focus. Kirby was overflowing with ideas & stories, but didn't have focus enough to tell them in a sensible way. Just look at his work at DC. He was given a free hand and created some great things, but frankly the stories weren't that good.

I also like that you used Marvel and not DC. Stan Lee is the man.

I respectfully disagree. Stan Lee was given the job my his uncle and put his name on others work as the writer. Note that with the exception of the Silver Surfer series (which was horribly written), he didn't "write" anything without using an artist who could write as well, thus allowing him to abuse his position to hijack their work.

What Stan IS is a great huckster and salesman. He's very charismatic and a terrific face for the company.

JACK KIRBY was the man. Without Jack, we wouldn't have Marvel, period. The one positive I can say about Stan's "work" on the books he did with Jack is he gave them some focus. Kirby was overflowing with ideas & stories, but didn't have focus enough to tell them in a sensible way. Just look at his work at DC. He was given a free hand and created some great things, but frankly the stories weren't that good.

And on a similar level, I really like the subtext of isolation and parental narcissism in Spot's First Walk, but found the theme of education as a form of mass control in Spot Goes to School to be a little heavy handed.

Maybe when you're done reading your comic books we can play at being Power Rangers. Bagsy being the red one!

[/patronizing lecture by grown up who reads grown up books but can't resist the childish urge to start a flame war]

When you've read Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, and Anthem AND can discuss with me their philosophical basis, the ideas they're conveying, and why they're some of the greatest literary achievements of the 20th century, you can ATTEMPT to condescend to me about my chosen escapism vehicle. Until then, you should visit the book store and do your homework.

Go read Spiegelman's Maus. Go read Moore's Watchmen. Go read Gerber's Foolkiller. Maybe then you'll understand the literary form.

Better yet, understand that other's loves not only do not need to be yours, but they need not be understood by you.

To argue against something you don't understand is arrogance and ignorance rolled into one pitifully self-important package.

Are we through?

[/patronizing lecture by grown up who reads grown up books but can't resist the childish urge to start a flame war]

You openly state your intention to start a flame war, then try to pass it off as a joke when you get one?

Pick a side and go with it. Changing your stance when you meet opposition can justifiably be called hypocrisy.