4 Strings 48 Hours

We gonna do what they say can't be done ........

My friend wanted a Bass guitar built. In a week or less. I am 24 hours into it so far. Not work hours , just hours.....

Specs :

Carvin neck through blank

Padouk wings

Custom-ish body shape based loosely on a Jazz bass.

Black hardware

P & J style pups

3 way, V & T

IMG_5327.jpg

IMG_5326.jpg

some quick mock up pics for tonight... I'll get more done 'morrow and post better shots.

:D

cheat! B) B)

Its for someone else.... I wanted a quality neck. I can handle the body/electronics but I've found my big weaknesses are finishing and neck building. So .... Good neck and an oil finish.. It IS cheating..... :D

and those are just lyrics up there ^^ from Smokey and the Bandit. It was on TV when I was typing and I found it fitting. lol ....." We got a lawng way ta go - and a short time to get there.... " :D

cheat! :DB)

Whatever works. :D

indeed, i have no issue with the use of ready made parts - i buy quite a few necks in myself if its for something standard

does rather take away from the 48 hours thing though, not sure it would be possible to do a neck through from scratch in that time - although i am happy to be proved wrong B)

IMG_5333.jpg

IMG_5330.jpg

IMG_5332.jpg

IMG_5334.jpg

Done except for strings ( Thanks Carvin !!!!! 4Q2! ) I'll grab some tomorrow on the way home from work. I used one old string today to set it up as close as I could till I pick up the new strings and set it up. All cavities are shielded , all wiring is done , just strings and a set up.

I can't believe how much easier it is to build from a neck blank. :D

2 days from nothing to a working instrument. That's awesome!

Yea... you'd pretty much HAVE to use a pre-fab neck. The first day would be spend gluing the body blank & the fretboard. The second day would be murderous having to do the entire body, fretboard, neck shaping, AND fretting.

I bet it could be done from scratch to a reasonable quality in three days total.......

cheat! B) B)

Its for someone else.... I wanted a quality neck. I can handle the body/electronics but I've found my big weaknesses are finishing and neck building. So .... Good neck and an oil finish.. It IS cheating..... :D

and those are just lyrics up there ^^ from Smokey and the Bandit. It was on TV when I was typing and I found it fitting. lol ....." We got a lawng way ta go - and a short time to get there.... " :D

lol jerry reed, love that movie.