Ziricote Piezo Bass

Finally, a bass for yours truly! :D I've been wanting to build myself a short scale, piezo only bass for a while but I've been too busy with commission builds lately. I've still got to draw up a more detailed plan, but the spec so far is...

30" scale, 4 string

Korina body

Ziricote top, with dyed black Sycamore veneer

Maple neck

Hipshot 'Ghost' bridge (black)

Acousti-Phonic pre-amp

Ultra Lite tuners (black)

Macassar Ebony fretboard

...all of the above is subject to change of course, I'm still toying with the idea of adding a magnetic pickup (or 2), but we'll see :D

Due to other commitments, it'll be a couple of week until I can really get stuck into this project, but I've made a small start... the body has been glued up and cut to shape.

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Simo, I've been amazed by your bass guitar builds since I joined the forum!

I can see why people are recommending ziricote as a fretboard for my limba guitar now. Good stuff! I can't wait to see what you do with it :D

Cheers :D Ziricote is great for fretboards, just make sure you check the pieces carefully, as it's prone to surface checking and end splitting during the drying process.

Work has begun on the neck... I wanted the neck to have a clean & simple look, so nothing too fancy, just plain Maple with Black Walnut laminates, which should fit nicely with the colours of the body woods. I've also picked out a Macassar Ebony fretboard to use.

Pic taken before gluing...

IMG_3362.jpg

img444.jpg

30" scale, Jon? I'm moving in the opposite direction from "standard" to 36" ;-)

That backstrap looks fantastically clean - steam bent, or was is pliable enough on its own?

This really makes me wish that I would have the opportunity to continue making instruments sooner....I have so many ideas and concepts to try out....

30" scale, Jon? I'm moving in the opposite direction from "standard" to 36" ;-)

That backstrap looks fantastically clean - steam bent, or was is pliable enough on its own?

This really makes me wish that I would have the opportunity to continue making instruments sooner....I have so many ideas and concepts to try out....

My arms aren't long enough for 36" :D

I pre-bend the veneer before gluing... I damp the veneer down with some water, then place an mdf caul underneath (curved to fit the bend of the neck) and clamp it down for a little while. Once the clamps are off, a quick check to make sure everything fits ok, then it's time for the Titebond. It makes the job a lot easier, especially when the headstock angle is quite steep, like mine.

A couple of toothpicks to keep the veneer from moving while being glued works well too...

IMG_3420.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After a lot of thought I've decided to add a magnetic pickup... as I've mentioned, this will be my personal bass and will mainly be used for recording purposes, so I decided that adding a magnetic pickup would be a good idea to give me a greater range of tones. I've gone for an EMG 35P4 in the neck position, I tend to favour the neck pickup when playing and the deeper tone should blend nicely with the bright sounding piezo.

IMG_3967.jpg

Just to give an idea of how it will look...

IMG_3938.jpg

I've also done the side dot inlays, they're 2mm sterling silver tube (the centres still need to be filled)...

IMG_3941.jpg

Hmm. Many jazz-style (not "Fender Jazz") basses have one pickup in the neck position only. I think it will work nicely, especially if given the option of a blend with the Piezo. The pickup looks roughly in the 24th fret position....wonder how that will sound? Not wanting to open that redundant can of pickup positioning worms however! I've found Ziricote adds a lot of character as a fingerboard wood - my RBX is far livelier with one, although the stainless steel frets may also have something to do with that also.

You need to get that 12th fret sidemarker sorted, Simo ;-)