Guitar Of The Month For May

Guitar of the Month for May  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Really great work this month everybody, but I had to go with the drifter using the "what would I pick up first" method. The raven and the lone wolf tied for second for me though, but I don't have much experience with acoustics or multi-scales, so I would have went for the drifter.

r-dub - really nice detailing on this one. top notch! i would have matched the fretboard with the headstock lam and maybe gone for higher contrast binding... i feel it could do with a bit more contrast as many of the wood tones are similar

andyt - i was going to vote for this.... but i preferred the original swirl to the re done version. the excess length of fretboard also seems strange - but man, i did love that first swirl it had!!

jvillavicencio - not sure about this one i'm afraid. The wide horns make the lower bout seem small and the headstock is odd. I like the organic feel from the wood but think it would work better with a more definate shape

Simo - had to be this. not a thing i would change on it!!!

Jester - good to see massir birch being used - always loved the look of it. for me this possibly has a little too much, but i doubt i would be saying that without the tailpiece. the neck through heel looks awesome from an art deco aesthetics point of view... from a playing point of view i would have liked it less square. its a fabulous guitar!!

PRS tait - this really is a huge amount better than it looked before - and i quite liked it then ... but i am distracted by the colour between the pickups, which i find distracts from the quality of the finish everywhere else

hoogle - best yet i reckon. The colour really ties it together in a nice way. i really like the way you have faux binding on the bottom half - but not above the swirls

Maikkeli - thats really rather good, especially for a first. the detail work is great and quite brave for a first build, although i find the perloid binding a step to far and think it would have seemed much nicer with plain white or none at all

r-dub - Im not a fan of acoustics at the best of times. But i do like this one for some reason, Realy nice shape to the body & excellent wood choices visually. Cool guitar.

andyt - Im with Wez on this one, I much prefer the original swirl. I think it could do with a neck pickup to balance out the long board & big empty body space. Still. Gotta dig this thig, Love your builds man, gimmie more !!

jvillavicencio - Nice choice of woods, The pichup covers are realy funky, But the bridge pup looks to be set a little out of place & the top/bottom horns dont work with the ass end of the body. Its a nice piece, but just doesent work for me.

Simo - I prefer the back to the front of this, realy nice cherry on there. Only thing that kept this from my vote was all the electronics. I know theres not a whole lot in there but all those knobs & switches just throw me a little. Apart from that all I can say is :D:D

Jester - Holy F@*K !!

More of a museum piece than a guitar i rekon. id be terrified to play it if i owned it. So this gets my number 2 place. Should be Number 01, but the whole "petrafied too damage it" thing would drive me nuts.

PRS tait - Big improvement on the last time i saw it up here. I love the shape of this thing & the new finish only enhances it. Reminds me a lot of my old Les paul. I cant stand mis-matched pickups, but somehow i dont realy seem to be put off by them here. This was my number 01.

hoogle - not sure about this. Nice finish, Nice inlays, nice overall body shape. Overall a realy cool guitar, but the ass end swirl seems to close up the space behind the bridge too much. Loosing the tail piece & putting the strings thru the body following the line of the swirl would be my approach here. But still. realy sweet build.

Maikkeli - B) very cool. The finish on the top could be a little more vivid, I dont realy like inlays that cross frets unless they are a big thing covering 4 or more fret areas. but apart from that this is rockin.

Rdub- Absolutely beautiful! I really love the earthy feel the woods have- they compliment each other really well

AndyT- Cool project, I like the swirl but the hardwear niggles me a little, I know it was a project using parts you already had but it kinda feels like whatever was to hand was thrown on there. I do really like the look of the lipstick bucker tho!

Jvilla- Im sorry this just isnt my cup of tea at all, Nice woods but the body shape seems off balance to me

Simo - I used to hate Redwood, not any more! The finish is just spectacular, build quality looks top notch too, you would have been my number 1 but i don't play bass

Jester - This got my vote this month, I really love the look of the woods, that neck is beautiful and I really dig thick tailpiece. I know the customer requested a load of sustain but man it looks really heavy! An awesome build though!

PRStait - Big improvement in my mind, I love everything about it aside from the colour of the pickups which for me completely ruins what would otherwise be a spectacular guitar

Hooglebug - Another great build! I really love what you are doing with the carving, the only turn off for me is that the bridge is so far down the body that it looks like balance would be an issue

Maikkeli - I love it! Looks very fancy and kudos for being your first build! This was my third favourite

Loads of great builds this month!

Nice job everyone! A bunch of serious guitars. I like to vote for the one guitar that I feel stands out from the crowd. It would have been the Raven, but I already voted for it last time, so I didn't think it fair to vote for it again.

RDub - the Lone Wolf Voted for this one. Second acoustic I vote for in a row. If I had one complaint, it would be the headstock veneer. I think a much darker wood would have been nicer. I'm not a fan of the tight zebra wood figure, although I think it works well for the back, but not so much for the headstock. Plus, a darker wood makes the inlays stand out better.

andyt - Sheena Very nice guitar. The simple design with the single double lipstick pickup and swirl finish and single chrome knob... it all ties really well together. I don't know if the lipstick pickups were chosen because the guitar was meant for your sister, but I think it gives a feminine touch without making the guitar too "girly".

jvillavicencio - D-Classic The body shape is not for me. It looks like a design taken way too literally from a rough drawing on a napkin. Its saving grace is the headstock, which is way cool!

Simo - 'JD6' Very clean, very professional, nice design, woods and hardware. Nothing to fault here! Good job.

Jester - "DRIFTER" Another very nice one! I do think the tailpiece is a little too big, however.

PRS Tait - The Raven 2 I love this one, and the finish is a lot nicer than the first time around. Had I known it would have been refinished and re-entered, I would have saved my vote this month for it.

hooglebug - SAKURA #10008 Although I like the general design and I certainly can't fault the execution, I feel that the two bevelled curves on the body top don't really serve the design. To my eye, it's a bit of a design gimmick that shows off some fine worksmanship, but in the long run could very well be done away with. I really dig the one on the headstock however. To me, the headstock with its sculpted curve makes a lot more sense, esthetically.

Maikkeli - THE SUN I feel a bit bad that this one hasn't got any votes. I think it deserves better. It's very classy where it could easily have become tacky. The pearloid binding gives a bit of a "precious" look without going overboard.

Cheers everyone!

R DUb- Zebrano is one of my fav woods, not much I would change except for the fretboard end, I don't like them protruding

into the sound hole and on the heel I would have liked the grain on the cap to have matched the body, theres a light streak

just to the right on the back of the guitar and a simillar one on the left of the heel cap, but that's just me being picky.

Andy T The swirl is gorgeous, it deseves to win on that alone

Jvillavicencio - beautiful top loverly graining the waist seems a little high, bit of odd shape but eyecatching.

Simo- Another stunner from the Simo's bass production linen not much to say about this except go back and take another look

Drifter WOW was my first reaction. I prefer the look of the back than the front. Not to keen on the colour or if it was a bit

more transparent I think it would have appealed more, but a first class finsh.

PRS Tait Another guitar I prefer the back of. I like the way the belly carve goes onto the switch cover and the use of magnets

adds to the flow of the back. One thing I think could be better is the finish, although highly polished it looks as if the

coats haven't been flattened before the next one went on.

Hooglebug I do like the shape and carving on the front, the headstock is nice as is the colour

Maikkeli I think this deserves better pictures, the inlays look good

I still haven't made my mind up. If I were offered one it would be R Dub's acoustic with Simo's bass a very close second

I think this is the toughest month in a while - not one single entry that I'm struggling to find something nice to say about. I would happily own every single one of these.

RDub - Lone Wolf yet another argument for a separate acoustic GOTM - just a perfect looking acoustic. Love the zebrawood, love the little inlay and binding touches... just a great great looking guitar.

andyt - Sheena given that I don't like swirls, scalloped frets, maple fretboards, lipstick pups, 6-in-a-row tuners, strat headstocks or strat jacks - yet still think this is a stunning guitar is testament to what a great build it is. +1 on the sister kudos also.

jvillavicencio - D-Classic probably my least favorite here, but still a really fantastic build. I'm not a fan of natural finishes and I find the horns a little too wide for my taste, but big kudos for an original design - not just a copy or a barely disguised copy. And a very well built looking guitar, just not aesthetically my cup of tea. purely a taste thing.

Simo - JD6 got my vote. I don't think i need to explain why. Just preposterously good looking.

Jester - Drifter part of a 3-way tie for 2nd place, for me. Love the tailpiece, love the wood choices for neck/headstock. great finish, great looking guitar.

PRSTait - The Raven 2 also in the 2nd place group. much improved for the finish change and an extremely accomplished piece of work.

hooglebug - Sakura as always, this is a really great build - excellent wood choice, finishing, inlay work and so on. I can't put my finger on exactly why this doesn't light me up, aesthetically, however. It's close, but no cigar, on a purely personal preference level.

Maikkeli - The Sun This is incredible for a 1st build, and the 3rd of my ties for 2nd place. excellent finish, great design and some really nice touches (like the rail on the headstock). Great work, and deffo a contender for 1st place for me.

Wow... This month was darned near impossible to choose... I ended up going with Drifter mainly because the back was just so spectacular... Yeah, the frint was obscene too, but good God that back spoke to me!

I can come up with many reasons why every guitar this month deserved votes, so hold your heads high everyone!

Thanks for all the props guys. I'm surprised though. I must be getting better. Nobody even mentioned the missing truss rod cover yet :D Just noticed it myself...

Great work by everyone this month. Especially the Raven and the Drifter. Such a toss up between those two, I couldn't pick, so I voted for myself.

I'm really liking all the new body shapes out there. Most aren't my personal taste, but it's great seeing people not just making copies. Keep up the good work :D