Second Build - "the Wol"

So i sourced some wood for my second build.

This is a guitar I'm building for my friend's 30th birthday. His birthday is next month, but he's going on a round the world trip this week, for a year, and so I don't need to finish it until he and his missus come to visit towards the end of their trip, early 2011.

I'm not going to show the design up front because I want you to be surprised by how this turns out.

so far:

30273_391250112166_560627166_4431325_631181_n.jpg

and glued up:

30273_391250117166_560627166_4431326_547_n.jpg

I'm still finishing build one, so progress is going to be slow, but once I get going on this 100% it should actually be a pretty quick build.

And I'm going to be using a technique taught by Our Souls.... more to come...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30273_391250112166_560627166_4431325_631181_n.jpg

Please tell me you jointed those pieces before gluing...

Yeah, I don't have a jointer, but I planed them as flat as possible.

I don't know.. you may want to consider cracking that in half and find a workaround to not having a jointer and create yourself a more stable gluing surface. That's just coming from having had a few woodworking projects that weren't a guitar split at a bad edge to edge glue joint.

By the way, the 6 looks exciting, hopefully we will see it finished soon.

Please tell me you jointed those pieces before gluing...

Yeah, I don't have a jointer, but I planed them as flat as possible.

You can use your router to get a perfect join, just put a straight edge along your wood and run along it with a pattern following bit, as low as it will go

95u69y.jpg

Then flip the wood over and run along the straight edge you have routed with a bit with a roller on the bottom,

29x68sp.jpg

Then repeat for other piece of wood, your join line will be razor thin. If the join you have doesn't look perfect, yes, I think Hizodge is right cracking it open is the way to go, good luck with it.

• 1 month later...
in case anyone was wondering, I haven't died, life just caught up with me for a couple of months (been working on this: http://thelonghaulproject.com in case anyone's interested).

Decided I'm going to do the router jointing trick.

Best way to go about cracking the glue up I've already done?

Actually, I have been wondering where the hell you've been. Guess you answered that one didn't you!

Use a saw to break the joint.

Did you ever finish guitar #1?

SR

no, i haven't had time for any guitar work.

going to pick it up again this week/weekend tho - so i'll be updated both threads.

so... run it through a bandsaw probs the best option?

That's what I would do.

Supposedly heating up the glue line will soften it enough to be able to pry it apart.....you might check out the fretboard removal tutorial. Really, cutting it would be much quicker and easier though.

SR

yeah, reckon i'll just use the saw.

one more question about scarf joints.

i have some maple left over from the other build so i figured i'd throw a little accent lam into the scarf on the neck for this one.

I noticed that I Like Turtles (http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=43391&view=findpost&p=466777) cut his HS angle into the lam itself pre glue, whereas I had only really thought about gluing up and then cutting the lam so it's flush with the front of the neck.

I Like Turtles' way:

precut-lam.jpg

vs:

nonprecut-lam.jpg

I assume the first way makes glue up much easier, but then you need to cut the piece correctly first.

any advice here?

:D

Each method has pros and cons. My way makes for easier glue up and no serious trimming after it's glued up. The problem is that the angles of the laminate and the neck need to be more or less exactly the same and glued up very carefully, but a normal scarf joint is like that too. You also have to figure out the right spot to cut the angle into the accent laminate.

The other way just gets rid of the somewhat frustrating angles and measurements.

I think with a consistent jig (I didn't have one) and premeditation (in working out the dimensions needed for the laminate), the angle way is better.

EDIT: 3 would probably work too if you've got extra material.

Edited by I Like Turtles

got a little work done on this week while focusing on trying to finish up my first build.

I cracked the initial body glueup and did the router-as-jointer trick. seemed to work well and the new glue line looks a lot tighter.

cut the pieces for the scarf on the neck, using a left-over piece of figured maple as a nice little accent piece:

36646_411151997166_560627166_4928706_726586_n.jpg

and glued it up

36646_411152012166_560627166_4928709_5577792_n.jpg

more to come as the other build wraps up.

• 2 weeks later...

so to recap, this is a 30th birthday present for my buddy who is traveling the world with his missus.

originally they were going to spend months in asia and have Boston and NYC be the last stops before heading back to Blighty around January or February.

So I had plenty of time.

Right now they're in Vegas. And they're coming to join us at Lollapalooza in Chicago on August 7th, then they're coming to visit straight after that.

So my deadline has suddenly been reduced. I've suspended work on the other build, which is 95% there, so I can try to finish this one up in time.

TR channel routed:

33407_413761637166_560627166_4991435_1014749_n.jpg

neck and headstock shaped:

35298_416897667166_560627166_5069736_7406085_n.jpg

fretboard shaped:

35298_416897677166_560627166_5069738_2870230_n.jpg