my guitar

EDIT! cant make the pics work, so heres a link to them Pics

hey guys, i thought id show a couple of pics of my guitar project. its my first, so be nice, hehe :D i havent got the pickup rout done yet, but i will....

this is the front, it has a nice carve which isnt very visible in the pic, ill look into finding more!

i havent sanded the back properly, so there are a few marks etc...

the guitar is routed for a wilkinson floating trem, and will have 1 pickup. the neck pocket looks closer to the trem rout then on most guitars, because i decided to make this guitar special after long deliberation!! its going to have 31 frets!! and to have these frets without changing scale lengths etc... i sacraficed a pickup... its very comfortable at the moment.

im going to try get some better pics soon-ish!

any questions, just ask away or PM me or something....

hope the pics arent too big!! first time postin pics etc...

cya laters guys!

mike.

nyjbkim Posted on Jan 2 2004, 12:56 PM

Interesting. How will you access the 31 frets? Will you make the cut out deeper? 

basically, yeah. the 24th fret is approximately at the top of the heel, and the cut aways are well scalloped, i must get a good pic of this. there is also an all-access style joint.

going by measurements 31st fret will be a bit of a stretch, but if wont be used much, 29th should be fine to reach, and 27th is where 24 is on a normal ibanez.

bluespresence Posted on Jan 2 2004, 01:06 PM

Looking Good Mike! I'm real interested to see the neck on the body to get a good look at the 31 fret scale. 

yeh, so am i. i got an idea from a cad drawing etc... gonna make some of the neck soon ish. gotta wait a while for the fingerboard wood to acclimatise.

BTW I had no problem seeing the pic's on either link.

it was iffy, it worked sometimes for me, and then it didnt. im gonna try learn how to use it better.

Nice Job so far! 

thanks man!! the positive feedback is great here! i expected to be laughed at for tryin a 31 fret, brother keeps crackin jokes about it, but he wont when i have 10 more frets than him :DB)

thanks guys

mike

thanks man!! the positive feedback is great here! i expected to be laughed at for tryin a 31 fret, brother keeps crackin jokes about it, but he wont when i have 10 more frets than him :DB)

How are you going to fret it? Probably can't use jumbo frets. Well, not for the high frets anyway.

How are you going to fret it? Probably can't use jumbo frets. Well, not for the high frets anyway.

i dont think there would be room for jumbo myself, so i think ill be using medium fretwire. perhaps some of rhoades's ss wire. depends on the cash situation, as per usual!

i dont think there would be room for jumbo myself, so i think ill be using medium fretwire. perhaps some of rhoades's ss wire. depends on the cash situation, as per usual!

Unless you already have the fretwire, the SS fretwire from rhoads56 in not much more.

You're already going all out with 31 frets... I'd say, get the SS frets. Do you really want to refret that sometime in the future? :D

Unless you already have the fretwire, the SS fretwire from rhoads56 in not much more.

You're already going all out with 31 frets... I'd say, get the SS frets. Do you really want to refret that sometime in the future? 

yeh i know, i have a really good price for nickel, and i would have to buy 2 sets from rhoades, but 31 frets would be mean to refret, especially since i am going to scallop the frets!!

im actually really considering that ss wire, hmmm!!

mike

BLS Posted on Jan 2 2004, 01:53 PM

31 frets huh? just like Michael Angelo  Looks Good so far 

thanks alot man!! tho my playing pales in insignifigance when i hear him!!! his 31 fret guitar is cool. is that the one from the origional vid speed kills? the origional vid of that was the best!

mike

daveq Posted on Jan 2 2004, 02:11 PM

Very nice Mike!!

Is that an Ash body? Have you used that type of bridge before? I'd be interested to hear how you like it. They look pretty cool and are in the right price range. I just haven't had time to try one yet. 

i really appreciate all this positive feedback!!!

ive played the wilkinsons and like the feel, so i went for them. i didnt really wanna fork out for a floyd or something. they are responsive and smooth, just the way i like em!! good solid bridges i think.

the wood i believe is pitch pine, nice to work with, which shares alot of properties with ash etc... while having a nicer grain i think. i just decided to make it using different woods. its gonna have a walnut neck with a teak fingerboard.

mike

Hey, good looking guitar so far. Interested in how this one is going to turn out. This is giving me the jones to start working on my next one. Man, and I'm skint after Christmas too. Maybe time to raid the scrap wood pile. :D

I just happen to have some old dry pine too. Hmmm. Could be interesting to see how that would sound.

Jehle Posted on Jan 2 2004, 04:37 PM

Hey, good looking guitar so far. Interested in how this one is going to turn out. This is giving me the jones to start working on my next one. Man, and I'm skint after Christmas too. Maybe time to raid the scrap wood pile.

I just happen to have some old dry pine too. Hmmm. Could be interesting to see how that would sound. 

wow, im quite amazed, i made you think of starting another one!! i really dig the jehlecastors man!! do they play as well as they look?

i imigine that the pitch pine i have will sound quite like an alder body, they are quite similar. pitch pine is the top quality pine available i think, so i have good expectations for it! the pine is really nice to work with!

i have a big load of teak outside! part of which is gonne be the fingerboard. endangered wood now, so its unavailable here.

im gonna record some stuff with this new one as soon as its done.

thanks for the interest!

mike