Art Deco Themed Lp

Before I pulled the trigger on the top, I went back to working on the headstock. First up was the inlay.

wip42.jpg

wip43.jpg

Cocobolo, goncalo alves, yellowheart, and cherry veneer.

Then the headstock....

wip44.jpg

wip45.jpg

BIG A$$ ARCHTOP HEADSTOCK!!!

I thought it fit the art-deco era pretty well. IIRC, I took it from a D'Aquisto or a D'Angellico.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I call it 'Art Mehico'.

It's like art deco, but the colors are reminiscent of '60's 'south of the border' themes.

Like something you'd see made around Texas in 1972...sort of...

Art Deco is a -very- urban theme, but the -colors- are very rural/woodsy/South American-ish.

Looks good! :D

It might be interesting to bleach some figured Maple...I think it would resemble Marble or MOP in the right circumstances...maybe more traditional deco-ish...maybe not...

I love the colors tho, they're right up my S.O.T.B. 'southwestern motif' alley, very warm.

It's like something I would expect to see in a Columbian Diplomat's office...or maybe more Aztec influenced...

Y'all might remember in late last year when I got 100% fed up with myself and the lack of attention to detail I was giving. Planing off the top is a direct result of that unwillingness to accept less than I'm capable of doing. No more settling, no more 'good enough'.

Here's the headstock inlay in place, cut flush, binding on and scraped flush. I sealed the face with shellac before doing the binding. Cocobolo is such a PIA....

wip46.jpg

wip47.jpg

wip48.jpg

wip49.jpg

wip57.jpg

I'm ready to glue the neck in, but I'm noy sure exactly how to approach this.

It's a set neck, and it will have a smoothed out neck access. Clearly, this needs to be done after the neck is glued it.

HOWEVER.....

The neck is teak, requires no finish, and will have none.

So how do I handle the smooth-carved transition from finished to un-finished?

wip57.jpg

I'm ready to glue the neck in, but I'm noy sure exactly how to approach this.

It's a set neck, and it will have a smoothed out neck access. Clearly, this needs to be done after the neck is glued it.

HOWEVER.....

The neck is teak, requires no finish, and will have none.

So how do I handle the smooth-carved transition from finished to un-finished?

Inlay the sides & heel. Put a finish on the inlays but not the neck itself. Like the hilt on a sword. Be cool as fook man :D

back mask the neck a few inches then spray a soft line with your finish that way its sorta fades in to the neck

Then feather sand it back towards the finished body. If you micromesh the transition it will feel the same and the gloss level from one to the other will get as close as it can. Like always, this will something worth testing on scrap pieces of the same woods.

SR

Nothing really to see. I glued in the neck this afternoon. I should be able to work on the heel carve Monday.

It's a mixed blessing. I love it when my kids are here in the summer. It's really great to have them with me for a 2-week hitch. But I can't get anything done while they're here. If I'm not right there with them for a 1/2-hour, they come and get me EVERT SINGLE TIME. They don't get that I mentally CAN'T be just right there with them 24/7.

Like i said, I glued in the neck over the weekend...

wip58.jpg

...and then took it out of the clamps this morning.

And you have GOT to be F'ING KIDDING ME!!!!!!!

wip59.jpg

:D :D B) B) ;)

Despite the shellac on the fretboard being topped off with poly, the clamps not only squished the finish and put a red discoloration into it, the pads went BETWEEN the upper frets to do it!!!!!

So I gotta ask - how many of you heard be go ape-sh1t from where you are?

All that I can do is scrape it off, give it a good rub-down with alcohol, and do my best to salvage it.

wip60.jpg

Edited by avengers63

thats a total bitch on the fretboard man. id wait a few days to calm down before i went back to it, Stay on the heel & the rest of it for a while.

Love the spalted top, Have a spalted Les paul type thing myself. Has to be my fave top for these types of guitars. Cant wait to see this thing finished.

Oh yea... I'm leaving the fretboard alone for a while. I don't want to work on it while I'm mad at it.

You know another time you should not work - while your tird & not feeling too well, you wont be paying attention. like I wasent.

Rubbed my eyes last nite after sanding a fretboard out, while my hands were caked in realy fine cocobolo dust. stupid thing to do. :D

Reminds me of when I was a prep cook in a Mexican restaurant. I was mincing jalapenos and then rubbed my eye without washing my hands first. That side of my face went numb for a 1/2-hour and I lost vision in the eye for about 5 minutes. I'm not ashamed to say I went straight into b1tch-mode for a few minutes.