cherry

cocobolo

goncalo alves

yellowheart

BODY

1"+ white limba base

1/4"+ cherry pinstripe

5/8"+ spalted maple top

(I say "+" because I don't remember exactly how thick the pieces are, but they're at least as thick as the number listed)

I'm currently planning out the carve on the new top. I might go for a cream binding on it as well. Maybe not. Like so much of this build, I'm really just letting the wood tell me what it wants to be, and the guitar tell me what it wants me to do to it. That's how the headstock and inlays came to be.

gold hardware

Wilkinson Imperial tuners

Gotoh TOM

resonator trapeze t/p

Gibson P90 pups

This one happened because I stumbled across some teak on the cheap.

The first top was bookmatched hackberry. That ended up really looking like crap, so I planed it all off and went with the spalted maple.

Y'all have already seen some of the inlay pics, but here's the whole thing in context.

wip01.jpg

wip02.jpg

wip05.jpg

wip06.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's that log sitting on your floor there?

I never cease to be amused at what folks notice in the pics.

It's a 1 1/2 year old walnut log that I can't split but the wife won't let me keep in the garage. If I could split it, I'd have split it into boards 6 months ago like I did the others. They're all finishing drying under one of my workbenches. I figure to try and do something with them next Summer.

I guess that bar chair in the background of one of the pics is off limits? Sure looks like it has nice thick seat in it.....

:D More noticing stuff in the background. I love it.

We found those a couple of years ago. They were at the end of the driveway with a FREE sign on them,so the kids brought them home. They thought they were going to paint them for their rooms. After letting them sit there untouched for 9 months, I claimed the best of the bunch and disposed of the other three. They never noticed.

I use that thing constantly - usually at the scroll saw, routing inlays, and during assembly, and other fine detail work. It's really a used-up POS, but it still holds my butt off the floor and I don't have to worry about messing it up, so it's perfect.

Thanks.

The inlays into the maple wouldn't have been possible had I not made individual templates for every one. As for routing in those small corners... the Dremel is your friend. Those teeny bits got really close in, which made sharpening them up with an X-acto pretty easy.

Once they were all epoxied in, I cut them down with a Japanese-toothed flush-cut saw. Man, that thing chews through wood like it's butter.

wip25.jpg

wip26.jpg

wip27.jpg

wip28.jpg

wip37.jpg

wip38.jpg

wip39.jpg

wip40.jpg

wip41.jpg

Again, the original top. The carve looked pretty good. I was trying to get away without 1) doing a neck angle and 2) buying anything else. To that end, I tried to recess a wraparound t/p and smooth out the edges of the recess. I feel it was as well executed, however.....

The more I looked at it, the more I hated it. It not only pointed out but prominently displayed that I can't do a neck angle and was trying to get around it.

And that's why I had to plane the whole thing off.

........I tried to recess a wraparound t/p and smooth out the edges of the recess. I feel it was as well executed, however.....

The more I looked at it, the more I hated it. It not only pointed out but prominently displayed that I can't do a neck angle and was trying to get around it.

And that's why I had to plane the whole thing off.

Dude , you can Sooooo do a neck angle. :D

*I* can , and if my cave-man like building style allows for neck angles , i KNOW you could do it. * what a shame* about that top ! I loved it !!!!! I don't think it prominently displayed anything but schweetness , but I just used the words "I don't think" ....

that was a nice top tho. :D

Inlays are the bomb too. nice work.

Neck angle is easy john... Just rout a regular flat neck pocket... then, leave your neck blank a bit thicker than needed... Then, cut the neck angle into the heel, with a bandsaw. Then fine tune it with a sander or sanding block. Ive done it about 50 times. Its easy. You just put the bridge on the top where it would go, and put a straightedge across the fretboard to see when you have enough neck angle.