Router Bit?

hey i just bought a plunge router and i was wondering what bit i should be using for routing my guitar body...

baring in mind i'm gonna be routing a floyd rose :D

have no idea what i'm doing, reading the manual now :D any help ?

(i'm not very serious, just one of my little projects... turning out to be quite fun though)

Are you F'ing kidding?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? There's a thread about this ACTIVE RIGHT THE FRICK NOW! I actually protected that guy for asking such a EASY to search for and ubiquitously answered question. But this is just RIDICULOUS. Learn to search man or things like this will QUICKLY make you enemies on the forum.

Chris

We don't need to pin ****.

People need to be willing to search for their answers.

:D

Agreed, but not being able to search for three-letter words really puts the kibosh on that. Any searches for "bit" "nut" or "oil" will throw an error. Is there any way for the admins/Brian to make the search less restrictive?

Are you F'ing kidding?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? There's a thread about this ACTIVE RIGHT THE FRICK NOW! I actually protected that guy for asking such a EASY to search for and ubiquitously answered question. But this is just RIDICULOUS. Learn to search man or things like this will QUICKLY make you enemies on the forum.

Chris

wait i read the post you told me to read but i'm still confused... maybe i just missed what i was looking for but... for routing out a tremelo surely i'd need a straight bit , but i need one that can ride on the inside of a template, i can't find that ... thanks again , i'm suprised you put up with people like me who aren't quite there :D

1pckellerls1av6.jpg

See the silver bit, between where the cutting edges and the shank? Thats a bearing. It rotates freely, independantly of the bit. So you set it to the right depth in the router, and it'll ride on the template, giving a cut shape exactly that of the template.

Hope that cleared it up for you :D

It's just your basic template bit - the ones with the bearing below the bit rather than at the end of it. You can get them at any hardware store. I put in some links in the other thread that was mentioned.

Now I just have to wait for someone to call me a smarta$$ for giving you the EXACT information you wanted, despite that it's in the other thread. :D

It's just your basic template bit - the ones with the bearing below the bit rather than at the end of it. You can get them at any hardware store. I put in some links in the other thread that was mentioned.

Now I just have to wait for someone to call me a smarta$$ for giving you the EXACT information you wanted, despite that it's in the other thread. :D

smarta$$

I'm Australian John so I think you're a smart-ar$e ... as do the UK guys on the forum.

Does that count?

I don't deny being a smarta$$. I deny being one for giving someone the exact information they've asked for in a clear, concise manner.

To clarify for American catalog lingo...

This bit, with the bearing above the cutters is commonly known as a "pattern bit", and the bits with the bearing on the tip are known as a "flush trim bit"

Now,

you know it all!

Am I in a lot of trouble now? :D