Mixed Wood Explorer

Pretty much finished this one up. only thing left to do is to rout the cavity cover recess, and drill the jack hole.

body is african mahogany 3.4 pieces. Bookmatched bubinga veneer again.

Gibson style FADED finish (a few thin coats of satin clear, no grainfill) It actually looks pretty good, i think.

Neck is 3 piece mahogany and maple, with a darker mahogany headstock. I actually dont like the way it looks now, the maple ended up looking like a skunk stripe.

I took lots of closeups for WES.

Album

Mahoganymapleandbubingaexplorer031.jpg

Mahoganymapleandbubingaexplorer024.jpg

Mahoganymapleandbubingaexplorer049.jpg

Mahoganymapleandbubingaexplorer046.jpg

I hate to be negative, but....

Wow. Yet another mahogany explorer with a waterfall bubinga veneer top and KL headstock. It kinda loses it's mystique after the tenth one.

Ever consider something else, or these only for sale? I know you've said they sell well for you, so I 100% get it if that's the motivation.

I hate to be negative, but....

Wow. Yet another mahogany explorer with a waterfall bubinga veneer top and KL headstock. It kinda loses it's mystique after the tenth one.

Ever consider something else, or these only for sale? I know you've said they sell well for you, so I 100% get it if that's the motivation.

For me, new designs and wood combos are not the only interesting thing in guitarbuilding. I find an example of flawless craftsmanship just as interesting as a new design.

It just seems like there is SO much more planning that goes into making a NT guitar. And we all know, I can NEVER do anything right the first time. Im just afraid to try it. Ive tried planning, and so many things mess with my head. I just think its harder.

Thanks Drak!

Well john,

Ive made pretty much every design already, besides hollowbody stuff. There is just not much else i like to make. I have a ton of that bubinga veneer, but it doesnt look as good on other stuff.

It is 99% because of how well they sell. the other 1% is because i have learned them so well.

by the way, its 26 Kl explorers, not 10 :D

Whatever floats your boat. I figured it was because they sold well for you. You must have made most of your other shapes before I came along.

Understand that I'm not making a negative comment about the craftsmanship or looks - just that you've done a LOT of them. :D

Lets see,

Explorer

Les paul (bout 4)

Strat

BC rich beast

RG

PRS

Another type of doublecut

Gibson style Vs (3)

RR Style V (3)

My own design that nobody likes (3)

I think thats a few. I dont like the crazy designs... I like the popular normal ones. I would make a lot more les pauls ( i LOVE making and playing them) But they only look good with certain finishes, and I have given up on high gloss perfect mirror finishes.

All I remember seeing from you are these, a couple of LPs, the funky finished V (uber-cool!), and your pointy strat-like thing that nobody likes. I'm sure I could go back and find more if I really wanted to, but those are what I remember.

Personally, I have a hard time making the same guitar again. Then again, I don't make whole guitars to sell. The bodies I sell I have no problem doing the same bodies over and over. I just don't show them off here. The Formica-topped Tele body does pretty well for me.

I just got in a 7" wide piece of 8/4 canary and some 12/4 sapele. Both are getting split down the middle. The canary for tops, the sapele for the base. I should be able to get three bodies from it all: one for me, and a Tele and PRS that'll get sold. I'm really excited to see how the canary will look like once it's carved.

All I remember seeing from you are these, a couple of LPs, the funky finished V (uber-cool!), and your pointy strat-like thing that nobody likes. I'm sure I could go back and find more if I really wanted to, but those are what I remember.

Personally, I have a hard time making the same guitar again. Then again, I don't make whole guitars to sell. The bodies I sell I have no problem doing the same bodies over and over. I just don't show them off here. The Formica-topped Tele body does pretty well for me.

I just got in a 7" wide piece of 8/4 canary and some 12/4 sapele. Both are getting split down the middle. The canary for tops, the sapele for the base. I should be able to get three bodies from it all: one for me, and a Tele and PRS that'll get sold. I'm really excited to see how the canary will look like once it's carved.

Well, i I only posted like 50% of the guitars ive made. Ive had so many pics of guitars on my photobucket account, ive ran it out of memory like 3 times. ive had to go and delete pics from my account 3 times, to make room for new ones. they only allow i think 500MB of pics.