Pictures of the next bass

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello again,

Thanks for all the kind comments :D

I've got some more progress pics of the headstock and I've finally got the right finish for the maple top and headstock.

I also picked up a brass bolt from the surplus store and milled a nut out of it. I laminated the bottom of it with purpleheart. hopefully, to tone down the brass sound a little.

The first pic is of the headstock with the holes drilled and the truss cover carved and ready to finish. The nut is just resting in place.

headstockraw.jpg

The next picture is of the neck and headstock with a swatch of the finished wood and a peice of the brass bolt.

finishswatch.jpg

The last pic is of the body with the same swatch wood resting on it.

finishswatch2.jpg

Oh yeah, Thanks litch, for the info, it worked out great. The gap was where the upper wing meetes the fretboard. not anymore! B)

Now I'm just waiting for the bridge/pickup templates to come in the mail.

I'm really looking forward to finishing the wood. :D

The headstock looks a little more compact and "chubby" looking than it did in your templates... did you cut it down and round it off a bit, or is it just an illusion?

Funny you mention it. I thought it looked a little different too.

It must be because I cut the angle of the headstock and then laminated a quarter inch of flamed maple on it. That must have changed the way the top template laid on the wood or something. If that makes any sense. :D

yeah, I've been really lucky with this one so far. (for a first attempt at a neck through)

I've learned so much at every step of the process, I wouldn't know where to begin. :D

I guess the main thing I'm doing different this time, Is pre-planning, and using the proper tools. (as proper as I can afford anyway) B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello again.

It's been awhile since my last post, I've been working away from home for a couple months. but I 've finally made some more progress. I found some sprezel locking tuners on the bay and recieved some super jumbo fret wire from luthiers mercantile. I also got templates for the light pickups. I guess they're getting the next model back from the machiners in a month, so I'll wait for them. Here's a couple of progress pics.

the first one is from the back with the tuners fitted and the body sealed

backsealed.jpg

this ones from the front with the maple dyed and sealed and the frets installed( in the process of dressing.

frontsealed.jpg

the last one is the back of the head stock with the tuners on. I love the look of the sperzels. :D

headinstalled.jpg

haha this bass has been in progress long before you joined this forum. Look at the date on the first post.

But yes. Basey, any more? It's been a week or so...

Also I noticed that the tuners were angled up. Is there any particular reason for this. I know that angling them back makes tuning easier, so would angling them up reverse this effect? Clue me in bro.

• 2 months later...

hello again,

I know it's been awhile since my last post but I finally got the hardware to finish my bass. I bought some flush mount black strap loks from UniversalJems. (cheap too).

I also ordered the LightWave system. They should both be here on Monday when I get home from work. :D

It was starting to seem to me like I'd never get to finish it. Next week I'm going to nashville to visit me brother for a week. Hopefully I can post progress pictures from his house. (my camera stopped working about a month ago. B)

I almost sold one of my basses to pay for the new hardware. (But I finally got some extra cash working overtime)

Oh yeah. I sanded down the bass and gave it a new dye job. Should have new pics in the middle of next week.

BTW is anybody going to NAMM in Nashville this weekend?

Well, I'm in Nashville at my brothers house. I finally got some picture of the tru oiled finish. I left the neck unfinished for the time being. I'll finish it after I make sure I like the feel of it.

Sorry the pics are so big. I'm using my brothers puter and it doesn't have all the apps I'm used to. He's also got dial-up :D

Anyway here goes. The last one turned out a little fuzzy. but you'll get the idea.

topoiled.jpg

frontoiled.jpg

headstockoiled.jpg

backoiled.jpg

back2oiled.jpg

My brother (electronics guru) is helping me put together the Lightwave system.

and I will take alot of pics. (because I can't find many tutourials for these on the web)

After reading the directions to the lightwave system I realized a tutorial was really not needed for the installation (basic soldering).

The only tip I could give someone is to have all the hardware in hand before you route the cavity. I had to do a little minor surgery to get it all to fit.

It didn't go too bad for a first time though.

Here's a pic of all the parts that arrived. except the monolithic bridge pieces.

parts1.jpg

When I recieved the pickups in the mail they shorted me 1 bridge piece. They're sending it this week. so the center one is missing.

lightwave1.jpg

lightwave2.jpg

lightwave3.jpg

lightwave4.jpg

I will post more pics and hopefully a sound clip after I get back to Illinois.

backsealed.jpg

I have seen the shape of the upper part in some other place, can't remember, I think it was at Gilmers Wood site, and I didn't like it, but the way that you integrated the neck and the body at the heel got me :D , that looks awsome man, I love neckthru done rigth, that joint looks flawless, I wish when I decide to do mine it looks as good as that one...

wow those bridges are huge....is there going to be too much string height?

It looks that way, but the strings run through the bridge, not on top of it. I wish they were smaller too. But I think they need to be that big in order to incsapsulate the strings, and block outside light from getting to the sensors.

again, thank you for the kind comments. I cannot wait to get home and find out what it sounds like.

Not to mention I'll finally have a 5 string. :D