Cherry Blossom

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

well its been a long time!! iv been getting other things sorted and waiting for the weather to calm down enough to get this finished. i should be able to finally get the last few coats sprayed this week some time.

after what happened in japan at the weekend, i thought it would be a nice thing to do if i got this finished and auctioned it off in aide of the disaster. i cant afford to buy all the parts i need to finish it so im begging various people to help me get it done. so far tim mills at bare knuckle has agreed to donate a set of pickups. iv never done anything like this before so im going to have to do a bit of research about the best way to get the most money i can for it. hmmm...celebrities always bump prices up a bit - anyone know any? hehe

• 1 month later...

well its been a long time!! iv been getting other things sorted and waiting for the weather to calm down enough to get this finished. i should be able to finally get the last few coats sprayed this week some time.

after what happened in japan at the weekend, i thought it would be a nice thing to do if i got this finished and auctioned it off in aide of the disaster. i cant afford to buy all the parts i need to finish it so im begging various people to help me get it done. so far tim mills at bare knuckle has agreed to donate a set of pickups. iv never done anything like this before so im going to have to do a bit of research about the best way to get the most money i can for it. hmmm...celebrities always bump prices up a bit - anyone know any? hehe

contact your local radio/tv/press get them to run a story on it (free advertising never hurts!)

look for local Sports dinners too - then contact the organisers to see if they're interested in running an auction - there may be rich footballers/boxers etc there. you know the sort with loads of spare cash sitting round.

or an other idea - contact MTV/VH1/Kerrang - they may even consider an auction at one of their awards nights.... lots of rich musicians there who would appreciate your workmanship (then you could also say that they'd bought one of your guitars..lol - major kudos!)

just a few ideas

• 2 weeks later...

the back is nice and shiny.

SAM_1382.jpg

but its coming off. which is a bastard. the reason its taken so long to get to this point is this:

when i came to put the final few coats on i had run out of clear coat. when i went to get some more, the place i get it from wasnt stocking what i used to get anymore, so i got what they had. its the same stuff, just made by a different company. so shock horror it reacted. not much, but enough, it was like tiny tiny crazing. when it was cured i flatted it off and it went away, only to come back again when i polished it up. iv been flatting and polishing and flatting and polishing and its still there.

you cant really see it but you can see what look like pores coming through in this pic, but thats the crazing

SAM_1383.jpg

its not easy to see in the pics, and from a distance it looks nice. but as soon as you get it in the light its all you can see. so unfortunately its coming off. but, better to go through this and have it look perfect than leave it as it is

• 4 weeks later...

oops - i forgot to update it on here. i got it done AGAIN. just waiting for it to cure ready for polishing. here it is with the burst on - which is NOT that dark in real life - in sunlight it almost disappears

82.jpg

and heres a close up showing the metallic nature of the finish - i mixed some left over metallic red into clear for the transparent coats

83.jpg

and heres a close up showing the metallic nature of the finish - i mixed some left over metallic red into clear for the transparent coats

Looking great! That what you did is the way I spray all the time when shooting metallic, I just take the excess of the paint out of the gun and pour the clear into so that the first few coats of clear got some flakes floating around.

• 2 weeks later...