Drak - Coco-loco

Drak

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually already did that once, my very first GOTM win was a complete blanket of warm Coco-Love, top, bottom, and all sides were Coco-Bolo and 7-layer double-bound.

Didn't have enough veneer left over to do that on this one, and honestly, I like the contrast of the Rosewood and the binding against the black sides much better, but it's a personal choice, would look good either way. :D

OK, you're almost up to date with me, here's the final shots of the body,

most all operations done and final clear coats going on.

Coco-Loco058.jpg

Coco-Loco059.jpg

Coco-Loco060.jpg

I know you've done that. Hence why I didn't hesitate to say it would have been a sweet choice... cause you CAN do it. That said, it's all about what you want, and if you've got one, why another?

I wasn't around when you did the other coco wrapped one, but would love to hear how long ago that was and how endgrain-to-veneer glue-up is holding up over the years? Titebond? I've got one in the work with santos rosewood, hence why I was asking.

I will admit, I'm curious now. This "accessorizing" thing.

Chris

Always nice guitars from you, Drak. Nice work.

Thank You for the nice words. :D

I wasn't around when you did the other coco wrapped one,

but would love to hear how long ago that was and how endgrain-to-veneer glue-up is holding up over the years?

Titebond?

I've got one in the work with santos rosewood, hence why I was asking.

I will admit, I'm curious now. This "accessorizing" thing.

All the old Coco-Bolo guitars I did were all made from CB lumber I had resawn up into 3/32", so they were more or less laminates, not actual veneer (much nicer figuring too, this is pretty average).

The only ones I did the sides on were V's, where a laminate would work.

I did have issues with glue-ups back then, it was all very oily stuff, I finally wound up wiping the substrate with solvent and using Titebond, that seemed to work.

For this veneer, I did use Titebond, as I always do for veneer.

I used to thin it out with water, but these days just spread it out thin, both ways work well for me.

The water-thinned method was primarily for when I was trying the iron-on method, but I have since dropped that.

This veneer went on great with straight Titebond, no issues at all, but this veneer didn't seem very oily either...maybe it's because it IS veneer, there's just simply not much material left for the oils to remain in because it's so thin (and aged)?

I'll spill on the accessorization.

It's going to have a shorty gold Trapeze tailpiece (the neck pocket is angled for a TOM), a gold Harmonica style bridge, gold knobs, 5-way switch will have a white cap, and White EMG pickups.

85-SA-SA.

I did a quick mockup one day and was totally blown away by the look, all the different colors just seemed to make all the other colors really pop like crazy, everything seemed to play off of everything else in a really positive way and it was a look I haven't really seen before.

It doesn't look vintage, it doesn't look modern metal, it doesn't look really like anything else I've seen, I sort of stumbled onto it playing around with parts swapping mock-ups and when it came together, I was like Holy Spit!

The black sides and cream binding really popped the Gold hardware, the white EMG pickups seemed to make Everything else pop like mad, and it's a look I don't think I've really seen anywhere else, I was surprised how it all came together and just really stood out with a lot of what I would call Clean Snap Appeal. I think it's the white pickups that really make it all come to life.

The idea behind the sound design was really a show I saw on cable, Keith Urban and John Mayer on Crossroads, they did Keith's song 'Till Summer Comes Around' which has some super delicious subtle guitar parts in it that he was using an EMG equipped Strat on, so I wanted that 'setup/sound' while slapping an 85 in the bridge for additional versatility, to really make it a 'Superstrat' setup, along with all the usual EMG controls I already normally use.

I am very exited about the final outcome of this guitar. :D

• 2 weeks later...