#3 Is A Single Cut

ScottR

I did get this thing hung up and shot with the first days lot of lacquer. I thinned down the first load a bunch and did about 5 layers of mist coats. I say 5 layers...but it went on in one session as they land pretty much dry. The next load was not cut as much and started to get wetter. Same with the last. Tomorrow wet coats for real.

You cant tell a thing from this shot...but I just liked it.

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

SR

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is getting there.... looking really good. Don't lose your patience now (I always seem to during the finishing stages) as now is when you need them most.

Cheers!

It's funny you should mention that. I was just telling Hook literally few minutes ago that I was glad to be spraying and then letting it hang for a few weeks. I was starting to get a little tired of spending so much time with it. (Insert variety is the spice of life--time for a new girl joke here). The cure time will let me recharge my lust for it....so to speak.

SR

I absolutly hate the finish process. drives me up the wall. you spend 10-12 hours polishing, then 2 hours buffing, only to burn thru an edge & have to start all over again. after you get out of the hospital from the concusion you have gotten from banging your head againgt the wall in frustration. not that a finish has ever gone wrong on me :D

Looking good with the sines. lines look realy good.

I'd say I like the shaping of the wood the best. Something about taking those disparate pieces of timber and working them together into a single unit that flows under my fingers into a shape that's just as obvious to my sense of touch as the sight of it is to my eyes is what cranks my scooter. (That would be a term my wife liked to use before she was my wife) :D. Finishing would be a close second though. Once I've got the wood looking its best to my fingertips, I want it to look its best to my eyes. The best finish I can pull off is what does that.

SR

Have to say my favorite part is the shaping as well. Carving the neck and the top are the best parts... I also like joining/gluing up the wood.

Hate sanding, finishing, filling, buffing... If I had the money I would hire a monkey to do it.

+1

EXACTLY how I feel. Construction is what I get off on.

Hook said he needed to see this shot with a flash, 'cause it's still too dark at least hanging in my garage. Lacquer is on and it's just hanging and curing.

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

The flash didn't go off on the first one, just the last two...orange peel and all.

SR

Edited by ScottR

Cool man. Its got that ultra hot chick thing goin on. You know the way, you see some filthy hot lookin thing walking towards you on the street, and the closer she gets the better she looks, untill shes right up to you & its just completly :D:DB) .

Cool man. Its got that ultra hot chick thing goin on. You know the way, you see some filthy hot lookin thing walking towards you on the street, and the closer she gets the better she looks, untill shes right up to you & its just completly :D:DB) .

...and as you pass her by it looks just as good, so you say I hate to see you leave, but I love to watch you go.

SR

I like that analogy....because - have no doubt - even if I could give you a thousand reasons why I think she's not my type, in the end I'd still put my 1/4" plug into her if she gave me the chance. :D

I'm excited to see this one finished up. And Scott...this time, we'll have to get this one over here when it's done so we can record some samples to post. Especially since these pickups are part of the "PGF family".

Waiting for the lacquer to cure. If there is ever a time that I get impatient, this is it. so like I threatened to do several pages back, I conducted a test to see how CA would look as a finish. I used some off-cuts form the Hook custom; Skullsessions (Hook) posted shot of the wood pre-guitar. To give it a realistic difficulty I shaped the test piece into a guitar body. Then I polished it up....it didn't need that to begin, but I just can't seem to help it. I love to see the burls and curls dancing in the light when it's polished.

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

SR

Next came the CA which was the cheapest stuff I could find: Rockler Stick Fast CA which was about $12 per 4.6 oz. bottle. Thanks Wes from way back when for pointing me towards that. The first coat was the thin stuff. It dries too fast to get any coverage and let me tell you it is just about impossible to sand off a piece of latex glove once it's stuck to the finish. so I moved to medium. The good thing about medium is it dries slower, which allowed me to card on a pretty thick layer. The bad thing about medium is it dries slower so the thick coat took what felt like forever to dry enough to level. Next I tried making a little pad out of a rag and pouring a little medium CA on that. I spread it before it dried on the pad and only had to wait a couple of minutes before handling it. I leveled the first two layers before going to the pad, but after that I just kept adding it up and building thickness, sort of like Tru-Oil. After 6 or 8 layers on both sides and edges, I let the whole thing dry/cure for about a half hour and starting sanding. I started with 320, moved to 600, and then began micro mesh at 1800 right on up through 12000, using mineral spirits as a lubricant. It polished up like liquid glass. I had to stay away from the low angle shots that show reflection so well, because you couldn't see any wood at all, so these shots don't really show how glossy the finish is. It will be interesting to see if the lacquer on my guitar polishes up any better.

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

SR

That is burl Myrtle from Oregon Wildwoods. After working with it I really want to do a whole body out of Myrtle, rather than just a top.

I just did a rough sketch on the wood and cut it out, but I quite like the shape. It's offset just a smidge, enough to look cool, but not enough to bug me.

I thought it looked rather Aeolian, Paulie.

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

My wife thinks I should put a neck on it. Alas, it's only about 4" across. It would be a true quarter scale. I wounder if RAD could make pickups to fit it? Who the hell could play it if he could? :D

SR

My question is how does the CA feel to the skin?CA sealer coats always felt "grabby" to me..like they would rash up your forearm while playing.

This feels pretty much like nitro to me...which can be grabby if it's polished and it nearly always is. I'd probably put a coat of car wax on it for various reasons, one of which would be to slick it up.

SR

Thats just screaming ukelele (or however you spell it :D ) to me. make up a little 4 string neck & a tiny pickup for it. That will be cool :D

Now that is an interesting idea.

If you make a demon uke (because of the horns) out of it I will build a 4 pole Humbucker or a P90 for it...

Now that is an interesting idea.

If you make a demon uke (because of the horns) out of it I will build a 4 pole Humbucker or a P90 for it...

It simply has to be done !! It would be cooler than a 50 foot jesus Christ with 6 arms channeling Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Satriani & Billy Gibbons. playing the complete works of Led Zepplin, thu 12000 marshall stacks on the roof of the space shuttle, sling shottin round the sun to go back in time & save Jimmy hendrix, John F Kennedy & the Dinosaurs. So they could all play a benefit gig for world peace with Gary Moore, where we get to eat 22 ounce steaks all day long, served by playmates :D:DB)B)

Holy crap Paulie, you sure paint some vivid mental pictures! The first time he did that. You need to get those on canvas sometime.

As far as a demon uke...yeah it almost does have to be done. But I may need some input on the construction. I figure the scale would be a little over 8 inches. I'd need something to make tiny frets out of and tiny tuning machines. I guess the little pup could be wired directly to a mini jack. That would be a tiny pup RAD.

I wonder if there is such a thing as a pattern following bit for a dremel.....

SR