Project S906 #5

Using the new neck guide lines figure the new center line. I know you are wondering how it moved... trust me templates drift and pencil lines are .05 wide. The new line is actually about .05 off the old center. You will need at least 2 points to lat out the new center.

P1120180.jpg

P1120181.jpg

I then use a square to draw the scale mark, and the back line for the pickup routes. Use a straight edge to continue the lines to the edges. Then check the marks to make sure they are square.

P1120183.jpg

P1120184.jpg

P1120185.jpg

Next is to mark the outside of the pickups. Using the same methods measure out equal distances from the center line and make guidelines for the outer tabs of the pickup route template. We will use these lines to line up the pickup template.

P1120186.jpg

P1120187.jpg

After cleaning out the pockets with a template bit it is time to check the fit of the pickup. On the first pass the expected results. The routes are designed for a 1/4 bit not a 3/8. Rather than risk making a mess of the very expensive ebony top a trip to the grinder takes the edges off the pickup base. This is a tight fit.

P1120197.jpg

P1120199.jpg

P1120200.jpg

P1120201.jpg

Interesting build.

Certainly not my cup of tea in styling respects, but I definitely like the appearance of the neck laminations.

Curious what finish is going to look like, as when I've sprayed ebony with 2k it can just look like black plastic, meaning you may as well just paint it solid black, what I'm suggesting is 2k might not be the best choice of finish for the top, but the neck would surely look insane with a 2k finish.

Interesting build.

Certainly not my cup of tea in styling respects, but I definitely like the appearance of the neck laminations.

Curious what finish is going to look like, as when I've sprayed ebony with 2k it can just look like black plastic, meaning you may as well just paint it solid black, what I'm suggesting is 2k might not be the best choice of finish for the top, but the neck would surely look insane with a 2k finish.

Just Behlens Teak oil and wax. I always oil my necks as I can't stand clear on a neck.

This year I am not using any clearcoats so all oil this year. I have never tried 2K but since I am a traditionalist I try to stick with plain Behlens instrument lacquer. I had pretty crappy results from the Behlens qualac I sprayed last year and I am through with spraying anything for a while.

Teak oil and wax is my favorite! I once put a very thinned out coat of shellac on first, then teak oiled a few coats and i ended up with a "inbetween" kind of finish that feels great. Hows the build goin? Im curious to see how you hog out the neck pickup area.