Project S906 #5

Teak oil and wax is my favorite! I once put a very thinned out coat of shellac on first, then teak oiled a few coats and i ended up with a "inbetween" kind of finish that feels great. Hows the build goin? Im curious to see how you hog out the neck pickup area.

With all do respect why would you shellac before applying an oil/varnish? In my opinion you are defeating the purpose of oil/varnish finish. The shellac is a sealer and you prevent the oil from penetrating deep into the wood so what you are left with is a very soft oil/varnish membrane that is not as protective as the shellac itself.

As for the neck pickup route I use the bandsaw to remove the excess wood before gluing the neck in. Then I use the new template I showed some posts ago to route the neck pickup clean.

I am really loving this RAD. The pix still make me think of ice cream sandwiches and oreo cookies.

Very tasty stuff.

SR

Thanks SR.

If I can keep all the ebony dust out of the lighter woods it should look like a cookie. WHY did I think ebony with maple and limba was a good idea???

If I can keep all the ebony dust out of the lighter woods it should look like a cookie. WHY did I think ebony with maple and limba was a good idea???

Because the woods will sound great together and high contrast is visually interesting?

I learned my lesson the hard way too. I made a body to sell on eBay a couple years ago with a carved bloodwood top and longhi body. I was forever getting all of that bloodwood dust out of the longhi's open grain.

Because the woods will sound great together and high contrast is visually interesting?

I learned my lesson the hard way too. I made a body to sell on eBay a couple years ago with a carved bloodwood top and longhi body. I was forever getting all of that bloodwood dust out of the longhi's open grain.

I think before I start back I am going to tape up the limba to prevent this...

I am also thinking about using a dark grain filler on the limba this would negate some of the need to keep it super clean.

Once I get the rough carve done I might switch over to wet sanding the ebony...

With all do respect why would you shellac before applying an oil/varnish? In my opinion you are defeating the purpose of oil/varnish finish. The shellac is a sealer and you prevent the oil from penetrating deep into the wood so what you are left with is a very soft oil/varnish membrane that is not as protective as the shellac itself.

As for the neck pickup route I use the bandsaw to remove the excess wood before gluing the neck in. Then I use the new template I showed some posts ago to route the neck pickup clean.

Oh yes I know it sound totally ludicrous! I used just one thin spit coat of shellac then just a few coats of oil. The wood was pretty far from sealed after the shelac. Doing it allowed me to only apply two or three coats of oil and have a very smooth feel but still have the pores somewhat filled. Mostly it was just an experiment out of curiosity.

Ive been playing the neck for a year and its held up just fine. I Dont think ill do it again though.

I see now what you mean with the neck pickup route. Came out great, Carves coming along nice too!

nice looking build again dude. I'll be watching this one.

regarding your 3 position options for the pickup selection, I like the idea of using something like a touch sensitive circuit for selection. Only drawback I can think of is that as a player I like to be able to see and/or feel what posiiton the selector is in without having to play something to find out. Maybe you could incorporate some kind of small led indicator but it probably wouldnt be practical.

If its the 'blade' switch kind of look you are going for, maybe you could mod a minature graphic eq slider to function as a selector/blend pot? most of them are indented in the centre of the slider travel and they would take up virtually no space in the cavity. Im sure 30mm sliders are easily avaialble.

I was also thnking of a system where you could mount the volume pot on a small sliding switch rail and actually move the position of the pot to select the pickups. Not really figured out a concept of how to do it yet but, as you like the minimalist approach, I figured it would appeal to you as it still uses just a single vol knob like you would with your push/pull arrangement.

nice looking build again dude. I'll be watching this one.

regarding your 3 position options for the pickup selection, I like the idea of using something like a touch sensitive circuit for selection. Only drawback I can think of is that as a player I like to be able to see and/or feel what position the selector is in without having to play something to find out. Maybe you could incorporate some kind of small led indicator but it probably wouldn't be practical.

If its the 'blade' switch kind of look you are going for, maybe you could mod a miniature graphic eq slider to function as a selector/blend pot? most of them are indented in the centre of the slider travel and they would take up virtually no space in the cavity. I'm sure 30mm sliders are easily available.

I was also thinking of a system where you could mount the volume pot on a small sliding switch rail and actually move the position of the pot to select the pickups. Not really figured out a concept of how to do it yet but, as you like the minimalist approach, I figured it would appeal to you as it still uses just a single vol knob like you would with your push/pull arrangement.

Thinking about these ideas...

Great build. I noticed you oiled the body before glueing the neck, is there any danger of the oil afecting the glueing? or you just don't let the oil get into the mortice. Did I mention this is a great build?

Not oil. Mineral Spirits...sorry about the confusion. Mineral spirits eventually will flash off after a few hours. The pictures are taken over the course of 3 days.

I always sand my joints then blow them off right before gluing them (even if it has only been a day since cutting).

A fresh joint is a strong joint. Titebond does not like old wood surfaces...

For epoxy joints I usually hit them with acetone before actually gluing them up (superstition).