222 Pages Of Builds!

For those of you who have been here a long time, how 'bout listing what you think are the best posts in regards to the building process. I'm not talking about which guitars are prettiest, but which of these posts best document a build from start to finish. Perhaps we can compile them into a big list/sticky. I know those who are new to the forum would love to have a best of list before perusing all 222 pages.

Hi everyone, first post!

I've been reading for a while, and wanted to finally register and say that I think that's a great idea.

As a beginner, I've learned so much from reading through build threads - I actually feel like I've picked up more seeing various guitars built than from reading the couple books I purchased. If there's anything more useful to preparing to do it yourself than seeing someone else do it, it's seeing a number of people do it, as seeing the different ways people solve the same problems gives (at least to me) more insight to enable me to come up with my own solutions, now that I've got some ideas of the types of thinking that work.

Build threads are an awesome learning resource!

-Matt

Edited by mattamatta

No list of builders is complete without Perry (rhoads56 is his screen name, I think). He's my favorite as far as following builds. WezV is also very good, and avengers63 is great for getting some unorthodox ideas (though I am using the ebonized walnut neck gig on a couple of current builds).

As far as builders to search threads on, off the top of my head...WezV, RAD, Avengers63, Blackdog...mhhh...Guitarnut (I wonder where he´s gone to!)

It's nice to have my name called in such company. I'm still around. Life has become very busy and I still have several unfinished builds...promised myself I wouldn't start anything new until I finish those. Into last fall, I spent alot of time resawing and prepping body blanks, tops, neck blanks and fretboards. I'll be back in it this spring for sure.

Although it's not a guitar per se, I have been working on a cab conversion for a Vox AC4TV. Laminated spalted and flame maple. I didn't care for the stock 10" speaker setup so I'm building a 12" cab and a head for the chasis. Wasn't sure it fit the forum here so I haven't started a thread. ???

Peace,

Mark

.... if names are being dropped, has anyone mentioned Drak yet?? his builds are phenominal, and he's a back-yard builder like most of us. I always find inspiration from his guitars and building techniques. I think he stresses learning 'patience' more than anyone I know of and in this game, patience can be a project killer if you don't have it in spades.....

Maybe just a list of all the GOTM winners ?

do we have one of those??

cheers guys - i dont think my build threads can be considered within 'the best' as they dont always have much on construction detail or progress. certainly not compared to some others likes RAD's

Maybe just a list of all the GOTM winners ?

do we have one of those??

you can get to them through the gallery on the main site - although the 2007 link is dodgy

http://www.projectguitar.com/gal/gotm2011.htm

As far as builders to search threads on, off the top of my head...WezV, RAD, Avengers63, Blackdog...mhhh...Guitarnut (I wonder where he´s gone to!)

I always check out Our Souls and Avenger as well - I don't like either of their aesthetic styles particularly, but they're both very ingenious builders who bring a fresh approach.

I'm flattered to me immediately lumped into that category. Thanks you! :D

It's nice to have my name called in such company. I'm still around. Life has become very busy and I still have several unfinished builds...promised myself I wouldn't start anything new until I finish those. Into last fall, I spent alot of time resawing and prepping body blanks, tops, neck blanks and fretboards. I'll be back in it this spring for sure.

Although it's not a guitar per se, I have been working on a cab conversion for a Vox AC4TV. Laminated spalted and flame maple. I didn't care for the stock 10" speaker setup so I'm building a 12" cab and a head for the chasis. Wasn't sure it fit the forum here so I haven't started a thread. ???

Peace,

Mark

I'm not sure about anyone else but I would love to see a cab build!

Thanks for the interest and the replies, everyone, though I think we're getting a little off track. What I wanted to do with this is have a list of posts that people could go to that are thorough in their documentation of a particular build. I'm looking for the most informative posts, not the coolest guitars. If a GOTM qualifies for this, however, by all means post a link to it.

As mattamatta said, "I actually feel like I've picked up more seeing various guitars built than from reading the couple books I purchased". I couldn't agree with this more. I think if we compile a list of links we could really help out new and future members of P.G.

So, instead of just listing names, how about a post from that particular person that you feel is the most informative? I've already listed one, but like I said, I've only gone in about 10 pages. 222, now 223 pages, is a daunting task!

** Yes, RAD. A new forum might be a good idea!

Edited by MrMuckle

If I had to pick one topic that stands out for me, both in terms of how well the build is documented, how good a tutorial it is for newer builders, plus how well the end product turned out, my winner would be the first guitar that toddler68 posted. The thread is here:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=10213&st=0

Have a read and see what went on in that build - it was one of the first laminate neck construction builds I'd seen on here, and such class too!

That´s a good idea...Last year there were some suggestions and having stickies dealing with different subjects was one of them (mine, ahem). I hope others post their favorite build threads, as I know I have mine somewhere with that intention.

What are yours, so far? Might get the ball rolling!

Wow !! I'm truly honored !!

So nice of you, José Luis, to remember me specially when I'm not posting so often lately. Being in such stellar company makes me very happy.

So many great and inspirational builders in these pages. I think it is a great idea to collect the best documented build threads. I would guess that almost every possible technique has been cover by one builder or another. Ranging from simple hand-tools problem solving all the way to CNC solutions. I have personally learned so much from this forum's builders (actually mostly all I know about guitar building !!), and a place with the collected works will be most helpful for the new members.

Truth be told I may not be posting a lot, but still reading and learning a lot !! I'm very grateful to this forum and it's members.

I agree, a new forum dedicated to strictly information on how to do things would be good.

No one has mentioned Muzz yet, His "Pointy Stick" build had a good amount of info on how to make templates and almost every part of the build. There was a lot of reading in that one though B)

That would be the Tutorial forum. :D It is a mess and hard to find anything after the pinned threads.

I was thinking a Build-Walk-Through-Forum....

Or maybe take the good sections of the build thread and make a Tutorial out of it.... I really have no clue what should be a tutorial so I stopped writing them. Another issue is because they get buried 8 pages deep.

:D

I thought Scatter's Scattervarius II was an awesome build as far as learning new techniques and really showing what was done and how. And such ingenuity, too.

That would be awesome - take the best build threads, strip out all the questions and "looking good!" comments, lock them and put them in a separate area.

It would require work from a mod though, and would no doubt cause arguments over which build threads were best. Maybe five nominations in the thread would qualify it for inclusion...

Or maybe take the good sections of the build thread and make a Tutorial out of it....

Great idea!

If it helps and the Mods can make duplicates of them available to me, I'd be happy to go back thru my builds and clean out the "questions" and "atta boys". Could probably add some additional details as well.

Peace,

Mark

That would be awesome - take the best build threads, strip out all the questions and "looking good!" comments, lock them and put them in a separate area.

It would require work from a mod though, and would no doubt cause arguments over which build threads were best. Maybe five nominations in the thread would qualify it for inclusion...

Interesting...I´m thinking along very similar lines. I´m up for it, I´ll do what I can...I spend a lot of free time reading here myself! :D

Pictures would be an issue. I host my at Photobucket... I have a pro account so mine should be available as long as photobucket exists. I think it would be important that these threads be available for a long duration.