Black Lotus,

Walnut is nice to work with. But you get some very fine sanding dust that can be realy nasty in your lungs so get a face mask. its easy to work if you keep things sharp, but it can sometimes blunt your blades very quickly so just keep an eye on your planes & you should be fine. what species have you got ?

I'm not sure, but the site of where I got it says US/Canada. It weighs 40ib a cubic foot, which is the same as mahogany. Heres a picture of it, and I'll post a thread for it when its finished. I think I'll use tung oil!

228646_10150597183035475_609310474_19002262_500484_n.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you show the fretting process on this? i've got a neck thru bass i am building and didnt think to get the fretting done before attaching the wings.

It will be a while before I get to the frets, But I will show the process. Although it is no different from any refret you would do on a Les paul or some other set neck guitar. fairly standard process.

• 1 month later...

This will be a long build (about 20-25 weeks) as the customer is still making up his mind on most of the hardware

You getting anything done on this Paulie, or are you in a waiting on the customer mode?

SR

Hey Scott.

I got a little bit done over the past few weeks. Mostly just thicknessing the neck & levelling the front. Truss rod route, pickup routes & string thru holes are due in the next few days.

These builds take a while to do, cant rush them or the timber might move & fook it all up. the freaky grain is not helping, if it were sapelli or white limba it would be carved already but the crazy grain makes me overly cautious here. So it takes forever to do.

Although I know im moving much slower & allowing more time than is probobly needed. I still like to let the guitar settle into its shape slowly. The customer understands so its OK.

Ill put up some piks during the week.

Iv been working on a little guitar playin robot device to open up the voicing on my guitars. basicaly its 2 sustainer systems that will be mounted to a guitar before the electronics go in. It will run for 20 days, 20 hours a day per guitar. should put about 400 hours playing onto the guitar before the customer gets it. Jazz player friend of mine told me about a similar device he used on an archtop he owns, swears there was an audible difference after about 30 hours use. Should be easy enough to build, i think :D

With classical instruments, you have to play with long drawn out notes at first in order to get the wood used to vibrating at certain notes. It does actually help! I'd like to know more about the machine you're working on.

At some studios, they have a speaker that a violin rests on top of. The speaker vibrates at different frequencies and breaks in the instrument over time.

I really like seeing one piece of wood turn into an instrument! It sounds stressful to make though.

• 4 months later...

Hey Paulie!

Did you ever finish this beauty? I know you've been fighting some export/shipping issues and having fun with clear coats, so I guess you are still busy.

How's Dublin this time of year?

SR

Hey Scott.

Customer had a cash flow issue so he figured he have to default on the build. But Its still going, just on an un-determined schedule right now.

The guy paid his deposit so I see no reason to kick him while he is down & take his guitar from him. Im gona finish it over the next few months (may-june maby). If he cant afford the remainder by then, maby ill just wind some pickups myself, put on some reasonable tuners & a quick-n-easy finish for him. Been coming to me for years so I rekon I owe him.

Iv been noodeling away at it a little here & there. I must put up a few piks. just of the rough body carve.

I got that guitar back from the Customs department. along with a list of forms as long as yer arm to arrange to get it accross to the owner. if all goes well it should be out of here again by christmas.

as to the paint issue. I got some good advice from one of the guys checking the forum, demonx I think :D

He was spot on. its going groovey now. taking a while, but starting to work the way it should. Actualy, one of the guitars is the single cut with the rising sun on it. Or I should say it HAD a rising sun on it. hold on - your gonna love this :D

The customer gave it a bang & managed to split the nut, break a tuner & damage the binding on the neck. So his tech rekoned it was an oppertunity fo fix a little problem with the way it played, seeing as he was gona have to make a new nut & screw with the binding anyway.

this guy rekoned the strings were too soft when playing, not at the correct tension. & that the problem was due to the scale lenght being wrong. The owner tells him he has no problems with how it plays but this guy comes highly recomended so lets the tech go ahead & do what he rekons needs doing regardless.

So this absolut fukwit proceeds to fix the scale lenght by extending it to 25.5 inch. (because the gibson 24.75 scale on it is inherently flawed according to this idiot) the neck angle was too steep aswell, @ 4.5 degrees (at the owners request - to match his early 50s les paul) So he REMOVED the neck & Took a fooking plane to my top & recut the neck plane. Luckily my mate was informed of exactly what was goin on before the muppet drilled new bridge post holes & glued the neck into some botched position.

Anyway, the asshole was fired on the spot aparently, & I had the guitar a few days later.

Ill post piks when its sorted. Im painting it to match his new car. A Shelby Mustang - lucky bstrd.

Hey Paulie!

Did you ever finish this beauty? I know you've been fighting some export/shipping issues and having fun with clear coats, so I guess you are still busy.

How's Dublin this time of year?

SR

Hey Scott.

Customer had a cash flow issue so he figured he have to default on the build. But Its still going, just on an un-determined schedule right now.

The guy paid his deposit so I see no reason to kick him while he is down & take his guitar from him. Im gona finish it over the next few months (may-june maby). If he cant afford the remainder by then, maby ill just wind some pickups myself, put on some reasonable tuners & a quick-n-easy finish for him. Been coming to me for years so I rekon I owe him.

Iv been noodeling away at it a little here & there. I must put up a few piks. just of the rough body carve.

I got that guitar back from the Customs department. along with a list of forms as long as yer arm to arrange to get it accross to the owner. if all goes well it should be out of here again by christmas.

as to the paint issue. I got some good advice from one of the guys checking the forum, demonx I think :D

He was spot on. its going groovey now. taking a while, but starting to work the way it should. Actualy, one of the guitars is the single cut with the rising sun on it. Or I should say it HAD a rising sun on it. hold on - your gonna love this :D

The customer gave it a bang & managed to split the nut, break a tuner & damage the binding on the neck. So his tech rekoned it was an oppertunity fo fix a little problem with the way it played, seeing as he was gona have to make a new nut & screw with the binding anyway.

this guy rekoned the strings were too soft when playing, not at the correct tension. & that the problem was due to the scale lenght being wrong. The owner tells him he has no problems with how it plays but this guy comes highly recomended so lets the tech go ahead & do what he rekons needs doing regardless.

So this absolut fukwit proceeds to fix the scale lenght by extending it to 25.5 inch. (because the gibson 24.75 scale on it is inherently flawed according to this idiot) the neck angle was too steep aswell, @ 4.5 degrees (at the owners request - to match his early 50s les paul) So he REMOVED the neck & Took a fooking plane to my top & recut the neck plane. Luckily my mate was informed of exactly what was goin on before the muppet drilled new bridge post holes & glued the neck into some botched position.

Anyway, the asshole was fired on the spot aparently, & I had the guitar a few days later.

Ill post piks when its sorted. Im painting it to match his new car. A Shelby Mustang - lucky bstrd.

What that tech did is obscene.

You have got to be kidding me... holy mother of god.

I laughed out loud and then cursed for a while. Really?

See if you can get a pic of the car too tho :D

SR

And I certainly remember that guitar. I think I gave you grief for selling it without showing us how it finished out. Glad to hear your other issues are working out.

I laughed out loud and then cursed for a while. Really?

See if you can get a pic of the car too tho :D

SR

And I certainly remember that guitar. I think I gave you grief for selling it without showing us how it finished out. Glad to hear your other issues are working out.

Yea you gave me grief about letting that one out with no finished piks. Ill make sure to get some this time.

I was fookin horrified when I opened the box & saw the guitar. Ill knock em out if I ever meet em, half wit :D .

went straight to the bench & started sorting it immediatly. dont think I got home till about 3.00 that morning getting the neck back in & the top carve fixed. Shock I rekon.

I have a realy nice bill for him, nearly done up. just have to add in all the hours of polishing over the next few weeks, & there are gona be a lot of hours in the polishing. Ill let my mate pass it on (seeing as he wont tell me who the idiot is) No "mates rates" on any of it this time either, his wallet is gonna feell like it got hit with a peterbilt B)

• 1 month later...

Got a little bit done on this one over the past few days

Sorry, would help if I remembered the piks :D

Got the heel roughed in & cleaned up a little. About ready for finish sanding here.

DSCF2746.jpgDSCF2745.jpg

The string ferrule recesses, frenched jack drilled & control cavity are about sorted aswell. Most of the back is now sanded to 200 grit here. Getting ready to clean up the edges.

DSCF2743.jpg

Some progress on the front also.

The shaping is all but done at this point. Bridge recess is cut to get the bridge plate level with the body. vol, tone, toggle switch have all been drilled for.

DSCF2741.jpg

Got the fretboard level, radiused to 12 inch & the frets in. The frets still need to be edged, levelled & dressed. Im making pickup rings for this one, you can see them sitting kinda in place on the body here to guage their heights.

DSCF2739.jpgDSCF2740.jpg

There will be black sadels on the chrome bridge plate & black face on the headstock, so im thinking I might blacken the pup rings. The pickups will be nickle & so will the vol/tone knobs & switch tip.

There will be black sadels on the chrome bridge plate & black face on the headstock, so im thinking I might blacken the pup rings. The pickups will be nickle & so will the vol/tone knobs & switch tip.

Good color combo, methinks. Too bad you don't have any scrap from that fretboard--pup rings out of that would go nicely as well.

SR

Good color combo, methinks. Too bad you don't have any scrap from that fretboard--pup rings out of that would go nicely as well.

SR

Idea never even crossed my mind. But then the whole idea with these versions is that they are fairly plain to look at. Sedate in appearance, but a tonal monster.

I do another one with a similar shape that has a figured maple top, set neck, Binding bla bla. built like a les paul . The rosewood might be an option there.

But then with all the crap with customs I dont think id be risking it. Im OK with the boards I have as they are all purchased as finished products & I have all the paperwork I need to get them into the USA sorted. But Rosewood as a "raw material" is something I want to dodge for the moment.

BTW, anything comin up from you in the near future ? Guitar builds ? Bears ? :D

SR

Idea never even crossed my mind. But then the whole idea with these versions is that they are fairly plain to look at. Sedate in appearance, but a tonal monster.

I do another one with a similar shape that has a figured maple top, set neck, Binding bla bla. built like a les paul . The rosewood might be an option there.

But then with all the crap with customs I dont think id be risking it. Im OK with the boards I have as they are all purchased as finished products & I have all the paperwork I need to get them into the USA sorted. But Rosewood as a "raw material" is something I want to dodge for the moment.

BTW, anything comin up from you in the near future ? Guitar builds ? Bears ? :D

Yeah, I've got an idea brewing in my brain for a guitar that I think I'll get started on in the next few weeks and then maybe it's time for another carving.

Probably something other than a bear......but I don't know just what yet. I reckon I'll have to pick the piece of wood and stare at it for a while, 'til it tells me what it wants to be.

SR

• 7 months later...

Havent done anything with this for a while so I gave it a few hours this week. Not much, just put some black stain down into the grain & faded it out to my typical edge burst for walnut guitars. Got the sealer coats of clear on aswell. For now it looks like this.

Back

DSCF3073.jpg

DSCF3072.jpg

Front, pup rings still need to be blacked out but I will get to that later.

DSCF3064.jpgDSCF3067.jpg