New Build-custom "firebird"

This newest build is a customer spec-d "Firebird", with a thicker body (no "steps"), ebony board, and set neck rather than neck thru construction. The body shape is standard, with a conventional (but custom) 3x3 headstock.

The materials:

Mahoghany back

curly redwood top

quartersawn zebrawood neck

ebony board (no inlay)

pearloid binding throughout

Electronics:

EMG 89 & 81

2 vol 2 tone (one a push pull for the 89 and the other a Shadow "kill pot")

EMG PA-2 preamp booster

Hardware:

All chrome

pickup rings

Hipshot O ring knobs

Dunlop recessed straplocks

Tone pros Nahville (string thru)

misc:

Earvana nut

medium jumbo frets

2 way truss rod

I think you just have the syntax messed up on your images. Click on the "Insert image" icon, then add *one* image. Repeat as needed. Or just put the 'img' tags around your links like this:

[img=http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m618/electricwoodworks/Firebird/IMAG0333.jpg]

[img=http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m618/electricwoodworks/Firebird/IMAG0334.jpg]

[img=http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m618/electricwoodworks/Firebird/IMAG0334.jpg]

Edit: Sorry, just noticed guitarnut already responded.

I´m interested in that neck. Zebrawood as a neck? Haven´t heard of that, yet :D

I did a laminated zebrawood neck on the 7_B. I will say that you must be very careful and use stable pieces (stay clear of riftsawn). I usually cut zebra wood up into neck blank sized pieces and let it sit for a few weeks to see if it moves.

It makes for a very nice neck if it is stable. If it is not... well happy twisting.

i started 3 or 4 zebra necks a few years back. all one-piece neck shaft + scarfed headstock - and just a single truss rod rather than the laminates & CF bars i lean towards now. 2 of them play as good as the day they were made and have only ever had an annual truss rod check and adjust if needed. 1 split not long after glue up and was scrapped. the other is part of a long term project and is still not finished - but has been carved for quite a while without movement

the completed ones are lightly oiled every now and again and thats it - they feel great

I did a laminated zebrawood neck on the 7_B. I will say that you must be very careful and use stable pieces (stay clear of riftsawn). I usually cut zebra wood up into neck blank sized pieces and let it sit for a few weeks to see if it moves.

It makes for a very nice neck if it is stable. If it is not... well happy twisting.

Thanks everyone for the help. I will post a pic of the neck, etc. The zebrawood is quartersawn, and I am hoping for the best. Please check the pic and comment.

Thanks everyone for the help. I will post a pic of the neck, etc. The zebrawood is quartersawn, and I am hoping for the best. Please check the pic and comment.

IMAG0337.jpg

IMAG0338-1.jpgIMAG0340.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

IMAG0337.jpg

IMAG0338-1.jpgIMAG0340.jpg

More work has been done and it is time to bring this up to date. As you can see, channel sin the body has been drilled out for wiring to the front picup and the toggle switch. As I am not using a pickguard, these channels are run under the curly redwood top. The control cavity has been partially routed, but not all the way through, as I am still determining the overall size of the control cavity. With the 4 pots andthe PA-2 switch and board, it will be tight and I always thought the firebird's volume pots were too close together. Anyway, the customer decided on the orientation of the grain of the redwood relative to the body (th "point" aims towards the neck. Some picture of the body, template, top, and the glue up. The glue up went well and the total body thickness is exactly 1 3/4".towardfront.jpgIMAG0357.jpgIMAG0360.jpgIMAG0369.jpgIMAG0361.jpg