Rhythm King

Can you (or anyone else) explain the deal with those "1st fret" things? I have an OLD teisco from the 60's that has it too, but I dont really understand it.

It's called a "zero fret". It serves the same function as a nut, essentially turning the nut into a string guide. It's wholly unnecessary. The only reason I used it this time is because I needed a little extra length due to the truss rod placement.

[tone voodoo]Some folks claim that it will make an open string sound like a fretted string, thus giving more consistency of sound.[/tone voodoo]

That aside, looks really great, what did you use for the white binding? Pardon if I missed that somewhere.

thin white plastic

It created a bit of a gluing issue. I had to C/A the binding on. No biggie, right? That left no fretboard wood to glue the outer wenge binding to. So, in a move I was not happy with, I had to glue the outer binding only to the neck itself. There's virtually no chance of it coming off, but 1) it's not the way I'm comfortable with, and 2) I like overkill, and this feels like it's hanging on by a thread.

I love the top, AND the fingerboard. However, they do not "click" together for me.

This top asks for a stripped down ebony FB with only the side dots.

I would pair inlayed fingerboard with a single color body and let it shine.

Yes, I would split this into two different builds. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm finally on to leveling the finish. I'm REALLY taking my time with this one. I tend to get in a hurry, mess something up, get frustrated, then settle for less-than-excellent because I don't want to re-do it. My current schedule (and focus on my neice's LP) isn't allowing me much time to work on stuff, so I'm only spending about 15 minutes a day with some 220, slowly leveling it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the finish all buffed out to 12000 grit this afternoon while Wonder-Girl was working on her guitar. The battery on the drill died so I can't polish it out with swirl remover until tomorrow. Then the neck gets glued in, bridge drilled & placed, and other misc assembly holes drilled.

I still gotta design out a wenge pickguard.

I'm really looking forward to hearing this thing.

body buffed out & polished

neck glued in

pups, bridge, tailpiece laid in place

wip64.jpg

wip65.jpg

I need to re-do the pup rings. They originally had points on the ends which needed to be cut off because of the carve. Not they just look stupid. I'm still up in the air a bit on the control layout. I have a while to think about it - I need to order the electronics, knobs, and strap buttons for it.

• Like 1