Rhythm King

I got inspired a while back by a photoshop someone did of a gold top LP "no-cut". It was exactly what it sounds like - a LP, but without the cutaway. It looked pretty dang good, so I mentally filed it away for later use. Since I play primarily rhythm, it would get a lot of use.

I figured it should be both acoustic and electric. A full acoustic bridge with a piezo pup and 2 covered humbuckers joined by a blend pot should give all the versatility a rhythm player needs. Looking like a mini-acoustic, it had to have a sound hole, but the two HBs would get in the way. That meant that it had to become an archtop with f-holes.

No cutaway and the fretboard joining the body at the 17th fret makes the fretboard stop at 20 in my mind. This leaves a lot of room to fancy-up the end of the board. I've also seen pictures of an archtop with the pup mounted into the fretboard. I don't think that'll be possible for this one, but it's worth investigating.

The body is going to be clear white pine. It will be veneered back & side with birdseye maple. The body blank is 2" thick. I'll either be making a super-chamber around a center solid core or making it completely hollow - I haven't decided yet. In either case, there will be a 1/4" back-plate of veneered pine on the back. I'll be appointing the whole thing like a full-blown acoustic, mainly for effect. I'm trying to get some 3/8" spruce for the top, but it's hard to find on my budget. Whatever the top ends up being, it'll be carved. This makes the final thickness +/- 2 5/8".... just about right for a stage acoustic.

The neck will me makore, with an acoustic heel. I haven't decided on the fretboard yet, but it'll most likely be a rosewood of some sort.

The controls will be relatively simple for all it'll have on it. a 3-way for the HBs, a blend pot for both systems, a master volume, and a master tone.

Today I glued up the body blank. No pics yet.

So if you decide to go fully hollow will the top and sides still be one piece due to the thickness of the blank?

I've never heard of a pickup mounted into the fretboard :D I have a Gretsch with a floating pickup bracketed onto the fingerboard extension though.

Sound really interesting though. Take lots of pictures!

So if you decide to go fully hollow will the top and sides still be one piece due to the thickness of the blank?

The base will be one piece regardless. I'll be using the scroll saw to make the chambers, then gluing on the back. I'm figuring on going for 1/4"-3/8" thick sides. Pine is really soft, so I'm thinking to give it some extra thickness, just for some strength insurance. I could probably go with 1/2" sides and still be OK. It's not like I'm really trying to make a true acoustic.

If I was going to do a no-cutaway acoustic-electric type thing I think I'd go this direction:

- picture removed -

It's a nice mix of classic acoustic appeal with modern electric sensibilities.

That one from Eastwood IS really a nice blend. The thing is that I'm intending this to have limited soloing abilities. Yes, there's plenty of ability to have fun up to the 17th fret, but it just doesn't feel like a lead instrument without the cutaway.

I was looking around for some inspiration on how to make the bridge when I came across this thing...

424hai3.jpg

424hai4.jpg

I like the way the strings don't go through the body, but through a lip on the back of the bridge. Yes, :D I know it's a classical bridge. I've just never investigated them before.

Then I was looking at DePaul's website for inspiration for the inlays.

inlays.jpg

Classic, simple, and still different than anything else out there. Perfect!

I did get a bit done on the guitar this weekend. Here's the body, planed and routed to template. The pine is pretty ugly, but since it's being covered & mostly cut out, it doesn't really matter.

wip01.jpg

The back panels were also cut and planed to 1/4", then the veneer was glued this morning. I'll find out tomorrow if every powerful clamp I have did the trick or not.

wip02.jpg

wip03.jpg

wip04.jpg

Looks like you do some woodworking around bikes, too. Certainly functions to keep one on his toes. This should be a fun build to follow.

The bikes, etc., are there until we get a shed for all the outside stuff. It takes me a few minutes to clear out the space, so I don't bother if I'm only going to be in there for a few minutes.

I don't remember who recommended this bandsaw. It was someone here, but that's all I can say for sure. I got it a couple years ago.

The veneer went on perfect. The moisture from the glue made the panels cup a bit, but they'll flatten out in a few days. I'm sure a more dense wood would have been fine, but it's clear pine.... whaddya gonna do, right?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...