Custom Explorer Build

Well, I haven't started a new thread here for quite awhile. Mostly because I haven't been building much and or done anything out the ordinary. This one is different enough from the others I've built, I thought I would start a thread for it.

Mahogany back with bookmatched flame maple top. Steve Via monkey grip, custom inlays and blue burst finish.

The hardware will be a Floyd Rose bridge with 2 humbuckers...yet to be decided which model.

This is a build for a friend and I hope to get started on it in the next few weeks.

front.jpg

back.jpg

Cool...but the monkey grip should be near the strap button,considering it is meant to carry the guitar at some sort of level angle

Definitely, picking it up where that grip is located now is looking at being very headstock heavy... needs to be near the strap button like Wes suggests...

I don't care for the alternating inlays either. (Was that just a means of being creative with precut inlays?) Headstock tip is a bit iffy design wise too, but not so bad. Bolt on? I'd go for a PRS style bolt on and lose the neck heel... or just do a set neck. I've owned a few bolt on explorers and the heeled ones are kinda yucky up high... I had a bolt on Hamer Standard though once that had the PRS style joint and it was just fine.

Thanks for the input guys.

The angles of the body are from a detailed plan by Carmello Giannetto so I feel like they're spot on.

The monkey grip was a last minute addition from the client (16yo kid). It's a tough fit on this body style. It needs to be in the tummy cut to be functional at all or you're grabbing a 1.75" thick body. If you look at the back, with the Floyd Rose there's really no other option on the tummy cut. I tried sliding the grip down a bit but it was too close to the bridge on the front of the guitar. When we settled on the current location, I advised him of the balance issue but he's fine with it. I get the feeling it's really more about form than function in his mind.

The inlays and headstock were his choices from many designs offered to him. I was just pushing and pulling around points in Illustrator...wasn't aware if the inlays were available pre-cut or not.

The bolt on neck was also his choice. I tried to sell him on a tenon type joint but he was uncomfortable with not being able to remove the neck if needed....guess he's seen too many Gibson headstock casualties. The square neck heel is likely going to be rounded out and the screws and ferrules staggered a bit.

Mark

I have to say that I personally really liked the idea of flip flopping inlays. It looks really unique, and I thought the headstock was pretty cool as well. The monkey grip does seem a bit useless... but that's OK in my personal opinion. I am really looking forward to seeing this complete.