peghead dents.

Well i got around to contouring the back and leveling the fretboard on one of my necks, but the thing has gotten moved around my shop quite a few times in the past couple of months with the renovations and parents complaining about not be able to walk thru there.... anyways, i got some dings in the peghead, on the corners, on the face, and on the back. i don't really want to make the peghead thinner (it's already kinda thin)... just wondering if anyone has any ideas other then just sanding it out and filling the rest up with clear and then sanding it level....

?? :D

EDIT: oh ya, forgot to mention it's a purple hear & basswood neck so that's why it's denting so easy....

well i read an article stating that thin pegheads are less likely to crack (yes, seriously) because they have less mass to exert force on the nut area.

The neck has a purple heart center and a volute, so trust me it's not going anywhere, i just wanted to try out this thin headstock idea.

Steam is the way to go. If you're feeling lazy, just crank up the steam on your home iron, hold it about an inch above the dent and blast away. Alternatively, get some paper towel, and roll it into twists. Soak the twists of towel with waterand lay them in the dings. Touch the tip of a iron or soldering iron to the paper to steam the dents deep down.

This really works, for all but the deepest dents. I do find it works best if you attend to the ding as soon after it happens as possible.

That steaming method is also used in areas where it is expected to dent like the neck plate area and tuners. Steam them and sand them down a couple of times and the wood will be more resistant to denting. When using it for repairng a dent, it will not work if the fibers have actually been broken/cut.