Project S907_express

Of course the Robo RAD broke again...

Pain in the ass when tools let you down. Still these look interesting. your gettin some big magnets in there I rekon. Alnico IV maby ? or are you lookin at ceramics ?

Man I realy need to start makin my own pups again, havent made on in about 5 years :huh:

omg. these are amazing. How do I get a 25.5" - 25" miltiscale set? :)

you ask nicely... very very nicely... and then you pay the man.... and then if he's feeling kind he may think about making you some.... is that right RAD?

\m/

That is straight up genius. I knew I liked you (supplebanana) for a reason... I do have a habit of saying __no__ to people who don't ask nice (or I think if your project is stupid) (or if I think you are stupid) (or if I am not in the mood for your "build me this clone" shenanigans) (or you tell me you want this "awesome" wood combo because you read it on a forum) (or....insert "I do this part time" answer here)

How well you guys know me. ;)

Cheers! If you want a set of pups send me an email at guitarlogistics at gmail dot com. I don't do business in threads. I am here to help and teach what I can ___ while checking out all the other great stuff... (not to mention steal ideas form Paulie before he steals mine)...

Of course the Robo RAD broke again...

Pain in the ass when tools let you down. Still these look interesting. your gettin some big magnets in there I rekon. Alnico IV maby ? or are you lookin at ceramics ?

Man I realy need to start makin my own pups again, havent made on in about 5 years :huh:

Now Paulie I am not telling __you__ my magic magnet recipe.

I will say this "Yes I am going to start with strong magnets" probably A8s as these are what I use in most of my modern style pickups. There is a ratio of resistance to magnetic strength that has to be respected based on the designs and type of magnet. If you put the wrong magnet on great bobbins you get a mediocre pickup.

Wes wanted these hot so I am using 6 years worth of notes on bobbin sizes, winds and resistance recordings to try and not screw them up. The design allows for user swapable magnets so if Wes decides he doesn't like them we can try some things before I have to rewind the bobbins. All my custom pickups are built with a one time rewind guarantee. You don't like them pay shipping to and from and I will rewind them for you.

He has an Engl so I am hoping that the Modern Edgy sound will work for him.

He has an Engl so I am hoping that the Modern Edgy sound will work for him.

That Engl is an amazing amp.So glad I happened across it(from a forum member here a few years back)...I always wanted to try one,but nobody around here carries them,so a guy sent it to me to play for a month and I ended up buying it....and I never have regretted it.With good pups it just breathes and responds like a great tube amp should...

"Modern Edgy" sounds about right....it sounds great with everything from Duncan Distortions and JBs to Gibson 500t to Dimebuckers,etc...

A8 ? Iv never used them. mostly 2 & 4 with the occasional 5. But to be honest if my pup knowledge was anything near what yours appears to be (from the brief glimpses I get here) I would never have stopped making them. I used to make a fairly nice unpotted A2 humbucker, but it took so long to make them that it was financialy unviable for customer builds.

Having said that, Im fairly sure that if you built a similar pup & we tested them side by side, mine would be more at home flowing thru a pipe to a treatment plant - if you get my drift ;)

A8 ? Iv never used them. mostly 2 & 4 with the occasional 5. But to be honest if my pup knowledge was anything near what yours appears to be (from the brief glimpses I get here) I would never have stopped making them. I used to make a fairly nice unpotted A2 humbucker, but it took so long to make them that it was financialy unviable for customer builds.

Having said that, Im fairly sure that if you built a similar pup & we tested them side by side, mine would be more at home flowing thru a pipe to a treatment plant - if you get my drift ;)

I have made some paper weights.

Unpotted A2 PAF is a fav of mine... however cranked Mesa Boogie Mark IVs and Triple Recs tend to make them squeal no matter how good you wind them.

Think of an A8 as a musical C8. There are a lot of Do and Don'ts with A8 as they are very powerful.

Unpotted A2 PAF is a fav of mine... however cranked Mesa Boogie Mark IVs and Triple Recs tend to make them squeal no matter how good you wind them.

Think of an A8 as a musical C8. There are a lot of Do and Don'ts with A8 as they are very powerful.

Yea, I like un-potted A2 buckers, But I dont realy use too much gain. I use a Marshall MF400 with the gain set to about 5-6 so I get away with microphonic issues, & if I want a better behaved pup I just douse it in parafin wax.

As to A8's, Iv always wondered about string pull on light gauge strings with a magnet like that, Say 24.625 scale with a set of D'Adario XL9 tuned to Eb.

I used to have a book by Jason Loller about pups, I realy should try find it again & re-educate myself.

Yea, I like un-potted A2 buckers, But I dont realy use too much gain. I use a Marshall MF400 with the gain set to about 5-6 so I get away with microphonic issues, & if I want a better behaved pup I just douse it in parafin wax.

As to A8's, Iv always wondered about string pull on light gauge strings with a magnet like that, Say 24.625 scale with a set of D'Adario XL9 tuned to Eb.

I used to have a book by Jason Loller about pups, I realy should try find it again & re-educate myself.

That is an ok book... I have a copy. The best parts are on constructing pickups and building a winder.

As for the A8... that knowledge is hard fought and hard won. If I just tell you you wouldn't actually learn it. And you should learn it the same way I had to... money, time, and piles of wasted wire. <_<

and piles of wasted wire. <_<

Ah the memories :rolleyes: spool upon spool of junked wire gone to copper heaven, Armies of disassembled pickups just to try figure out the voodoo behind them - All to no avail.

I liken them to machine heads, they look simple enough, strip one down & its all fairly basic. But just you try making your own - I fookin dare you !!

Actualy - maby I wont start making my own pups again, I should just win the lottery & buy Seymore duncan

and piles of wasted wire. <_<

Ah the memories :rolleyes: spool upon spool of junked wire gone to copper heaven, Armies of disassembled pickups just to try figure out the voodoo behind them - All to no avail.

I liken them to machine heads, they look simple enough, strip one down & its all fairly basic. But just you try making your own - I fookin dare you !!

Actualy - maby I wont start making my own pups again, I should just win the lottery & buy Seymore duncan

You could always just order them from me! But if you buy Seymour I want a job as head pickup maker in charge... we can have meetings at the pub everyday for pints to talk about what we are going to do tomorrow....

we can have meetings at the pub everyday for pints to talk about what we are going to do tomorrow....

......sounds like your current job......

SR

Hmmm... yes it does. Last night we were in the office until 9:45pm in a "war room" writing code for an upcoming release. I counted a 12 pack of PBR and 2 coffee cups full of Jameson around the table. I of course had my Monogrammed silver flask full of Vodka and a Sweet Josie (from Lonestar a local brewer) and an emergency pint of Southern Comfort in case we had to go until 12:00 ;)

Sadly they put in Prohibition before 5PM Mon - Thurs except on Fridays when we get to start at 3:30pm.

Life is tough.

Your job sounds like Mad Men.

Pretty much... replace the secretary pool and cigarettes with Linux and Python and you have it. <_<

Forgot to add XML... cause everyone loves wrangling angle brackets. <>

Edited by RestorationAD

You could always just order them from me!

Always an option. But im fairly sure you would be bord witless prety soon with my avarage order. You know, something like -

20 A2 unpotted buckers, Nickle silver baseplate, maple spacers, black bobbins, awg42 wire, remaining componants to your own standard spec.

20 A4 unpotted buckers - similar makeup to above - overwind 10 by 500-800.

Scatterwind the lot & put nickle covers on half.

2 wire setup for all.

You could always just order them from me!

Always an option. But im fairly sure you would be bord witless prety soon with my avarage order. You know, something like -

20 A2 unpotted buckers, Nickle silver baseplate, maple spacers, black bobbins, awg42 wire, remaining componants to your own standard spec.

20 A4 unpotted buckers - similar makeup to above - overwind 10 by 500-800.

Scatterwind the lot & put nickle covers on half.

2 wire setup for all.

Jeez Paulie... bored? It would take me months to make that many pups. You sell a metric Sh#t ton of guitars every year.

I think I will stick to my little corner of the market. Now if I could get a Robo RAD Winder going....

Jeez Paulie... bored? It would take me months to make that many pups. You sell a metric Sh#t ton of guitars every year.

I think I will stick to my little corner of the market. Now if I could get a Robo RAD Winder going....

Yea, the time factor is what kills most boutique pup makers. So I end up going to established companies most of the time. But Its not all bad, the majority of what I build are not AEolian but for 2 other companies. Suits them better to have a custom builder off premises that they pay per guitar as opposed to on salery. Their custom shops are expensive enough to run so they are actualy fairly small & realy just a prestigue thing. So most of the custom stuff gets done by outside builders like me & then wired,serial Numbered & cased at the factory.

But id still like to get back into pickups myself, Maby ill build a new winder that can run with 6-8 sets of bobbins at a go. But then the problem becomes - how to scatter wind 8 pups at once ?

But id still like to get back into pickups myself, Maby ill build a new winder that can run with 6-8 sets of bobbins at a go. But then the problem becomes - how to scatter wind 8 pups at once ?

If anybody is going to the lengths of building machinery to create significant output like that, it shouldn't be too difficult to work out a reliable scatterwinding mechanism. A simple wire with 6-8 bent loops to move the feeds left-right on an oscillating basis would achieve the aim. Even a large spring could serve as a guide. It would even be feasible to build in a basic electronic randomiser to affect the left-right speed slightly to build in randomness within tolerable bounds.

I would love to do this because I love the puzzle. Aspergers, represent.

If anybody is going to the lengths of building machinery to create significant output like that, it shouldn't be too difficult to work out a reliable scatterwinding mechanism. A simple wire with 6-8 bent loops to move the feeds left-right on an oscillating basis would achieve the aim. Even a large spring could serve as a guide. It would even be feasible to build in a basic electronic randomiser to affect the left-right speed slightly to build in randomness within tolerable bounds.

I would love to do this because I love the puzzle. Aspergers, represent.

Well if you design it ill try build it. Though Id get lost with the electronics in the damned thing, Im still fairly certain that there is a global conspiracy of electricity fairys. that electrik stuff just baffels the hell outa me. Witch craft i tells ya.