Exploder Part 2

Okay,so yeah,I am doing more than one guitar at a time right now.This is an explorer-ish design obviously.I started this one a couple of years ago.It is a white limba neck and body with ebony fretboard and bocote binding.The body is 2 piece and the neck is one piece.Don't get attached to the Limba because this one is going to be painted satin black.I want to paint it unsealed so that hopefully the wood grain will show through.

553172_436651696375490_1560003156_n.jpg

552410_436652143042112_33007462_n.jpg

417507_436652253042101_850586641_n.jpg

• Like 1

Okay...so I once again forgot to do the dang hole between the pickups for wiring before setting the neck.Luckily I know how to make that work,since I have done it so much.I went to Ace and got a spade bit

8094_437265226314137_2075835595_n.jpg

And I drilled the input jack hole and just kept on going

8094_437265236314136_1299127344_n.jpg

8094_437265229647470_2093040672_n.jpg

I drew my dinky style 335 type body a few years back and had the cad drawings printed out in a vinyl printer. I made the internal template with wire channels and the external with bidge, pots and neck pocket... I never remember to use the internal and always drill the wire channel afterward lol... Because mine is semi hollow I drill off into the cavity... But I like your spade bit idea... I'll have to keep that in mind.

Neck is awesome! I know you said don't get attached, but man! those woods match so nice it would look great natural and just black grain filler...

It's hard for me to picture the black when it looks so good already but with the lighter neck binding i can see the black working too..

great job so far!

The limba has a greenish tint that looks kind of stupid in person,so that's why I need to color it...I could go amber translucent like the Korina Explorers,but I don't like that color with the binding.

What I imagine in my head is spraying it black with no sealer...letting each coat sink in a bit before spraying the next,and no level sanding until all of the black coats are on,then just using steel wool to get the orange peel out without actually leveling it.That "should" create a black coat with all of the grain lines from the limba transferring through...

Then I clear it with some thick coats of gloss,and level the gloss...that's going to be the attempt anyway

I had company today and sold a truck,so I wasn't able to do much...and now it's raining like hell..but don't think I was completely unproductive...I did this early this morning...I only got one side sanded flush before company arrived.

541609_437468299627163_57588853_n.jpg

I forgot to mention I have always wanted to paint a guitar black,but something has always gotten in the way...but this time I am determined,and that is why I started with the piece of limba that was sickly green in color.I have other limba that is whiter

I forgot to mention I have always wanted to paint a guitar black,but something has always gotten in the way...but this time I am determined,and that is why I started with the piece of limba that was sickly green in color.I have other limba that is whiter

Do it candy black. You know, tint the clear a little & build your colour in a few coats. But lay a thin coat of clear as a primer first.

Will look realy cool