I found the Spanish Cedar I worked with to have a smell that reminded me of spices like nutmeg and cinnamon rather than cedar. It is in the mahogany family instead of the cedar family after all. In the beginning I found it to be very pleasant and after a lot of sanding I got very tired of that smell.

I do not find it odd that one person is repulsed by a smell that others find pleasant. Smell is closely related to taste, and it is extremely common for some folks to enjoy what makes another gag. There is no accounting for taste when it comes to tastes.\

SR

• Like 1

Paulie lives!

Sounds like your shop is busy as sin. Between that, little Mac and the chick, you must be having a hard time coming up for air. Did you get a new dog to feed your walnut scraps to?

Cheers

SR

Hey Scott. Yea im back up to speed again. kinda hahaha :D . Paulie 2.0 takes up a lot of time, but I still get a lot of hours in at the shop. Im doing some gitirs for 2 clients that are other companies just now, so im kinda off the radar because of that. No piks & the like. Even had to get the apprentice to sign a non disclosure agreement for them so he could be in the shop while the work is going on.

Funny you mention the dogs. I got a new mutt (almost a year ago now) big huge German shepard - St bernard mix. 60Kg monster of a thing.

Avenger,

I share your pain with Cedar. I used to like it, But then I got sensative to it, now I hate it. I cant abide any timber i have to wear a mask & gloves & long sleves to work on for more than an hour or so.

Personally I love the smell of Wallnut & hard Ash, they remind me of sweets I used to get as a kid.

Funny you mention the dogs. I got a new mutt (almost a year ago now) big huge German shepard - St bernard mix. 60Kg monster of a thing.

Good.

When one is a dog person, one should not go without dogs for very long.

I find that I like them either huge or tiny. I one had a great dane and a teacup pomeranian at the same time. Stopped traffic when I took them for a walk.

SR

I love great danes. but the chick wont let me have something that big (yet ha ha ha)

So, today a regular customer of mine comes into the shop. He lays out a sheep skin on the bench, I took one look at it & knew what he wanted. Its gonna be a few weeks before I get the 2 big orders out the door & get onto this one properly, but it should be a laugh <_<

• 1 month later...

Christ I hate Zebrano sometimes.

Started 2 acoustics for customer today, both of them want Zebrano sides, started bending them today & what an absolute bstrd this stuff is. 2.5 hours on just one side & its still not even close to being done :blink:

God I hate acoustics

• 1 month later...

few more. the ass end needs to be finalised, wasnt sure if the bridge arrangement would be OK with strandbergs original shape, so it will be finalised once I am happy with the layout

P1050838_zpsbf1cb330.jpg

P1050839_zps6afcfe39.jpg

P1050845_zpsae2509cc.jpg

Anyway, time for some player testing, customer pickin up a guitar in an hour or so. Good to be back in the shop I can tell u

• Like 1

Hey Scotty. Its a rather nice piece of quilted maple, not that the camera is able to pick up on the figure properly just yet. Its only sanded to 80 grit just now.

The walnut on the back is getting my usual black stain treatment, lotsa black cut right back. Im gonna bleed a little of the black into the top around the sides but have nothing in the centre.

Im thinking either

01) natural,

02) toffee amber burst

03) natural - blue burst

04) blue - green burst

05) natural - coffee burst.

Cant make up my mind yet. I have an Alpha & a Chromeboy going out this week so there is time to think it over while I finish those up.

The tailpiece is from ABM. Chrome plated brass, about all I realy know about it im afraid.

Chrome JS model. Or Nickle plated actualy. I could never get chrome to last, always split around the pickups after a whil,e resulting in an arm shredding gitir. electroplating with a few coats of different things & finishing with Nickle seems to work well - so far anyway.

Ill take a pik before it goes out. Although this one will be back in a few months for a replacement neck I rekon, as the client wanted to use his original Ibanez neck for this one. but he is taking an Alpha aswell & I rekon he is gona want to have a new neck for the JS made up just like that one. so if I forget (u know, like I never do :D ) Ill get some then, as my photographer guy wants to try snap one - challenge of photographing what is basically a mirror & all that

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got a little time to mess about with this, so -

0004_zps167cd376.jpg

Got the pups & neck pocket routed, drilled for all the controls. Little bit of tear out on the volume hole, but screw it. Wont be seen & after 12-15 coats of clear will probobly just dissapear into the glassyness anyway.

0003_zpsebc63008.jpg

0001_zps293669c4.jpg

Got the jack position roughed in, Just need to clean it all up & radius the edges