Jnr & Jnr+

these are two Jnr version of my Classic design, only one is a tiny bit fancy, so its a Jnr+.

the jnr just needs routing for the pickup (both will get dogear p90s at bridge) and the bridge posts drilling then sanding.

the jnr+ will be bound tomorrow and then the neck can be glued and shaped.

03-1.jpg

02-2.jpg

got the binding on and the neck glued in. neck shaping next

06-2.jpg

this is the backplate and headstock plate - they're made from off cuts of the fretboard (it was a long board) so they'll darken with a bit of sanding i imagine. annoyingly, i had to add the binding to the backplate because i drilled the holes for the pots with the wrong bit - one up from what i was going to use) and only noticed when i put the plate over it and could still see holes. bugger.

03-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

The words chrome finish have punched my curiosity button.

hehe. someone got a body made and finished by a well known finishing company in the uk for a matt bellamy copy and had it sent to me to make the neck for it. well, the finish was covered in orange peel. and not only on the top coat, but it was on the base coats as well. the customer was annoyed but was kind of resigned to accepting it, so we went on with the neck. when i put the neck on the body, (bolt on) with as little pressure as is needed to fix a neck on, the finish on the body heel chipped. not only that, but on one of the pickup routes where the screw holes for the pickup surround are, the top coat looked like it was lifting.

i have used a paint company before for some thermal paint, and they also do a chrome system, so i told him about that and he agreed that since the original finish looked so bad, i would have a go at doing it. upon stripping the original finish, which i normally hate doing, i found that rather than having to sand and scrape and get annoyed, it just peeled off. in huge chunks. the top coat wasnt stuck to the base coats at all.

now they used the same finish system as im going to use (from the same place or not i dont know) in that there is a base coat (in my case black but in theirs white), the lots of preparation solutions sprayed on and washed off, then silver nitrate sprayed on top of the black, then a slightly tinted clear coat. the white base coat they had used was still soft, and i'd had it for at least six months so it had plenty of time to harden. it too just peeled off, along with what looked like a vinyl sealer underneath it. then under that there was a grey primer.

the primer was so thin you could still see grain and sanding marks through it. the vinyl sealer was really thick to compensate. in some places, the entire finish was almost 2mm thick. it was terrible.

but anyway!

i have the primer on now, and will be doing the black in a couple of days. you're not allowed to touch the black after because any fingerprints will show up when you spray the silver nitrate. eep.

• 1 year later...

well its been far too long. other things have got in the way, but finally one of them is done. the jnr + developed a problem with the finish on the top (dont ask me, it started cracking and wouldnt stop), so thats been resprayed as we speak, and is already spoken for. but at least i've had time to get this one finished!

_DSC7314_zps902f80a5.jpg

_DSC7319_zps63f45b5a.jpg

haha not really no. that chrome thing i was doing just would not work at all. and i could find no reason for it either. nor could the people who make (or sell) the product. i did everything by the book, using only the products recommended, and it just would not work. there would be patches where it would look good then the rest was awful and there was no reason for it.

luckily, i had explained before hand that i had never done it before and made no guarantees it would work, and while annoyed, as i was, he accepted it so that was ok. but yeah. super annoying.

• 1 month later...